Approx cost of pre-purchase inspections in Perth?

We need to arrange a building inspection and pest inspection for a property that we have an offer on. This part has me a bit overwhelmed. There are so many building inspectors in Perth and everywhere I turn, I keep getting tips of what we should and shouldn't look for in an inspector. And the costs seem to range from $250 to $800 for a building inspection and $155 to $495 for a pest inspection... agh! How much is a reasonable cost? And should I consider companies that do both building and pest? Or should they be done by seperate people?

Thanks!!

I just recently used Resicert for a property in the Town of Vic Park. I got both a building and pest inspection done. They have several levels of building inspections, I got the one just below the all bells and whistles mcmansion inspection level.

Jason was great, lots of tips and information as he went round the inspection. Very approachable and helpful on any question you may have.

Shayne was great too for pest but since property is a brick and tile there wasn't exactly much for him to do. He did find some old termite damage and also that there has been previous pest treatments.

They do split by geography so if your property is not in Town of Vic Park area, you'll get a different guy but I'm guessing their level of service should be there.

Have a search on this forum, there's a couple mentioned on previous posts when I looked.

thanks heaps, I have received a quote from ResiCert and it all looks pretty good.

Any idea of what we should be paying? My husband has spoken to a building inspector a couple of times, and he wants to use him. This guy is just under $600 for his premium inspection. A quote from Archicentre was $520, but discounted if we used them for both inspections, and ResiCert was $547 for their comparable inspections. But then Affordable Building Inspections have quoted $295..

Then, for the pest inspection, he (my husband) is looking at one that costs about $175, whereas Archicentre, for example, have quoted $415.

Why is there such a vast difference in costs?

Please help, I don't want to pay too little and then get a dud inspection, or pay way more than we should.

Can't comment on the difference service levels as I only have experience with Resicert.

I suggest you ask them to provide you an itemised list of what they are check and why, how they check and why. i.e. understand exactly what they will be doing for you money.

For me generally, if I get most quotes within a close range and one cheap one, I'd be sceptical and weary of the cheap one.

Also this is just a one-off expense, which is small compared to the cost of the property. Wouldn't stress too much on this issue as it's not the worst place one could go wrong.

I have also used resicert multiple times.
Very good service and professional reports. Price was good value imo.

Cheers

I have also used resicert multiple times.
Very good service and professional reports. Price was good value imo.

Cheers

Used them too, excellent and competitive pricing. Also, had 30 minute chat with the building inspector, gave me much more detailed info, made a difference

Used them too, excellent and competitive pricing. Also, had 30 minute chat with the building inspector, gave me much more detailed info, made a difference

Was it jason that you had a chat to? Yea hes good like that explains it all and clears anything up for you on the spot. He actually wrote most of the report at the inspectiom on his computer. Was there a while lol.

Just a note guys, there are two Jasons operating in Perth for Resicert. Jason I had was in Town of Vic Park area. Not sure where the other Jason is.

Joel

Confusing. Is one of them the owner?

Cheers

Not sure sorry. I know one of them was really kind to me on the phone and gave me some free tips on what to look out for in an apartment. But that was a year ago so I don't know if it's the same Jason who actually inspected my property.

I purchased a relative new home. Just 9 Years old. No termites at all.
Agent said no need to do a building inspection but it turned out that there were several roof structure problems. Incorrectly build. Some rafters needed repair work.
I've used http://www.allpest.com.au/ for my termite inspection. Was about $190 with report.

For the building inspection http://www.inspectorgroup.com.au. $390 also with report.

Very satisfied with both company's. Especially with the findings in the building inspection report.

Agent said no need to do a building inspection

Whenever agents say this to me, my response is to ask them if they are willing to be responsible for any defects with the property which a building & pest inspection would identify.

I used a Perth building inspector for a home purchase and received what looked like a fantastic report no problems at all but unfortunately for me he missed a lot of major structural defects in the roof. Needless to say had major cracking in the walls about 6 months later and luckily was still covered under builder's structural warranty. Still a nightmare process to get it fixed and they would not fix the minor cracks.

The inspector denied he was at fault as he could not get into all parts of the roof cavity (I can walk freely around the beams in all parts of the roof and have an attic ladder so I think it was more of case of laziness and a hot summers day) but eventually he gave me my $350 back. End of the day if the building inspector misses defects in the property - you are still responsible for sorting the ensuing mess out.

Make sure you get someone who is very thorough.

Was it jason that you had a chat to? Yea hes good like that explains it all and clears anything up for you on the spot. He actually wrote most of the report at the inspectiom on his computer. Was there a while lol.

Late reply... yes, it was Jason:)

Back