Apps

Just wondering what type of App's people are using out there for general use (work, life, play) as well as for investing and fun?

Looking at an Android Tablet, but thought it may be useful to post on any system

LinkedIn App
Banking Apps
Viber - For free calls and texts (well not really free, it uses the internet data)
Realestate App
Domain App
2048 / Clash of Clans
Flappy Bird -- (you can't download this anymore, this game went viral for a few days then the developer decided to remove it from the app store for personal reasons)

Oz weather
IMDb
Google maps (much better that the apple maps app IMO)
Words with friends
Dropbox
The on demand apps for replaying tv shows- each channel has one, of various qualities
Oz TV (current listings)

Daily:
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Instagram
Weather

Regularly
Gumtree
Google drive apps
Online banking apps
Google Maps
Google translate
Sometimes Foursquare & Swarm

when overseas
Tripadvisor
booking.com

Banking apps and Pocketbook
XE (currency)
weather
google maps

Find my friends - is great for when heading overseas, and finding who is within 1000miles of where I will be, or if I am at a pub in Perth, see who is out on the town close by.

I don't have Facebook on my phone. I have instagram, but never log in, same for Pintrist. Ive never logged into Twitter - ever.
And I don't have any games.

Blacky

Oh, I forgot
For anyone who travels get World Lens.

It translates written text automatically. Very helpful and works really well. Though does take some of the fun out of ordering off the menu.

Blacky

Oh, I forgot

It translates written text automatically. Very helpful and works really well. Though does take some of the fun out of ordering off the menu.

Blacky

Thanks for this Blacky. This will come in very handy.

Oh, I forgot

Blacky

Just tried this the other day on the phone, doesn't do all languages yet but a great little app

Oh, I forgot

Blacky

The idea looks good. How well does it work in real life? Does it require an active connection to do the translation?

I am just curious as to why some shops put their menu on the wall and even on the table with not a single english word. Are they only catering for people that can read and speak their language? How can that be beneficial for their business?
Sorry just questions running in my head when I walked in a restaurant last Saturday.

My most used apps are (in no particular order):
Amazon Kindle
Google Analytics
Audible
Candy Crush
Chrome Browser
Facebook
Fitbit
Flood-it
GMail
Instagram
LG TV Remote
Pandora
RealCalc
RunKeeper
Trap
TuneIn Radio
Zynga Poker

I am just curious as to why some shops put their menu on the wall and even on the table with not a single english word. Are they only catering for people that can read and speak their language? How can that be beneficial for their business?
Sorry just questions running in my head when I walked in a restaurant last Saturday.

I take it that they don't want Aussie customers, so I just end up leaving again. Plenty of other restaurants to try. It's funny how it's fine for them to be so obviously racist, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Most apps I use (in no particular order)

1) Gmail
2) CNBC
3) Bloomberg
4) Yahoo Stocks
5) Safari
6) Skype
7) Netbanking (various)
8) Scanner Pro
9) Flash light
10) Drive
11) Whatsapp
12) Weather

Cheers,
Oracle.

The idea looks good. How well does it work in real life? Does it require an active connection to do the translation?

Its not 100% perfect, but if you are at a train station, wondering where to go, it will help.

You don't need connection to use the app.

This is a snap I just took of a document on my desk. The translation isn't perfect, however, it gives a fine representation of what you are looking at.

Like I say, takes some of the fun away from ordering meals at a restaurant (I love ordering stuff without having any clue of what I am ordering). But if you are stuck it can help.

Blacky

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 65
Back