Are BAs a ripoff like many REAs & FPs ?

..because in not marketing the property they are potentially depriving the person for whom they are legally obliged to act in the best interests of, the vendor, of the maximum price for their property.
So other than the legal and ethical issues, all good ;)

TF I buy & sell RE.
If I'm buying from a lawful owner, represented bya REA whose licensed, I don't believe it's my business to delve into legal ethical or oral issues between those two parties.
It's not my bizness, period.
If the bank forecloses due to someone getting shafted from a partner, is it my role as a potential buyer to consider the legal and/or ehtical issues between them?
I'd say defintely no. It none of my biz. I don't know and I have no interest in knowing.

Did those who bought shares at a few cents from those who bought them for many dollars or from the Opus Prime/ANZ sell off also have this ethical obbligation?
I would think not.

Last edited:
Now why would a buyers agent's give/tell you for free which suburbs offer the best value & growth?
I already paid over one grand upfront, just not sure if I will get my money worth for paying another tens of thousand. This BA charges multiples of the 5K or 6K mentioned and the likely purchase price indicated which I believe is higher than the median.

Last edited:
..because in not marketing the property they are potentially depriving the person for whom they are legally obliged to act in the best interests of, the vendor, of the maximum price for their property.

So other than the legal and ethical issues, all good ;)

I have had many dealings where the vendors do not want their property advertised publicly and have notified BA's to try and sell.

Not all BA's are the same

My personal experience with BA's are mixed.
As I work over seas and when I’m on my break in Australia I have no interest in running around and dealing with real estate agents. I have engage the services of two BA at different times and at the end of the day, I had to walk away leaving behind the retainer deposit I paid, all up $5,500 loss.

One in Sydney was interested in only selling me high priced apartments to maximize his percentage commission and the other lacked any real knowledge and carried house inspection via the internet and relied on selling agents for feed back of the condition of the property. This one recommended that I buy this particular IP, “will sell fast” However I walked away from him and three months latter the property was still on the market, On an open day I had a look, boy I’m glade I didn’t buy, very run down and over priced.

I didn’t give up and from this forum I found a third BA (Jacque)
Have purchased an IP and very happy with her service, now I’m looking for another IP in QLD, took me a whilst to find one, I interviewed a couple and found that they gave me very little info out in what areas they work in, I can understand why, with people out there milking them for free info. But for me I wanted to make sure I don’t make the same mistakes as I did in the past.

Finally I found one and so far I’m happy with what he is doing, I have no problems with the commission they charge, would prefer it if they charge fixed rate like most other industries out there, because I get a little uncomfortable when they first say you should buy in the medium price range i.e. 450k then when they find out how much you can borrow, guess what looking price range goes up.

But having said that, you pay them 2.2% of the selling price and really it isn’t really much if you consider that the property may go up 5-8% pa, and all the work that goes into finding a house, my last purchase with Jacque took something like three months, reports every week and with many house inspections and a lot being rejected for various reasons due to my requirements.

I personal am a fan of BA’s, would like to have the time and do it myself but Time is a problem for me and beside I really prefer to spend time traveling whilst on break, next week I go to Bali for 10 days.:)

Stephen

Here is my opinion.

You will find good BA's and bad BA's just as you will find good and bad MB's. As people themselves, you can't colour them all with one stick.

I have a few clients who I personally feel would benefit immensely from a BA.

Often the process of buying property is daunting and bewildering to many people. The amount of research and in may cases, the numbers are simply not comprehensible or merely not achieveable when time is so hard to come by. Any person with limited time would do well with a good BA.

Another person that would do well with a BA is the person that is continually procrastinating. Procrastination is usually a culmination of many reasons and a BA can take the "scarey" factor out of the process. :)

Regards JO

A few people have asked and I'll also reply to the PMs I got. The buyers agent in Melbourne that I highly recommend is:

Lisa Parker
Parker Invest
[email protected]
0413 427 075

Hey great surname :)
Looks like us Parker BA's should stick together!

Peter,
Does she have a website? I did a quick google search but couldn't find her- only a link on the Business connection site LinkedIn

Here is my opinion.

You will find good BA's and bad BA's just as you will find good and bad MB's. As people themselves, you can't colour them all with one stick.

I have a few clients who I personally feel would benefit immensely from a BA.

Often the process of buying property is daunting and bewildering to many people. The amount of research and in may cases, the numbers are simply not comprehensible or merely not achieveable when time is so hard to come by. Any person with limited time would do well with a good BA.

Another person that would do well with a BA is the person that is continually procrastinating. Procrastination is usually a culmination of many reasons and a BA can take the "scarey" factor out of the process. :)

Regards JO

Absolutely

From experience I would only use a BA who lives/works in the State where you plan to purchase. I would also make sure that recommendations made by BA is backed up with evidence, not just an opinion. I can give you one for free.

I have purchased most of my own properties as I have time and like doing my own research.

I have also networked with a BA who is an experienced investor and she has helped me look at other strategies as a way of moving ahead faster. I use her for QLD area, but would not use her in any other State.

This is my not so good story using BA - 12 months ago I used BA to purchase in Melb as I am from Perth. The BA lacked experience and I lost some good deals and $500 fee. Fortunately ended up purchasing in Melb myself and it worked out well. To add insult to injury I found out the BA was from Perth, I assumed she was in Melb.

It's not all bad, but you definately need to do your homework.

Cheers, MTR

The BA I work with often charges between $5k & $10k. There are a number of factors involved in her quotes, but I'm yet to hear a complaint about her prices.

BTW, I get nothing from her by recommending her to people, I just like to recommend people who are good at what they do.

hi peter, could you send me more info on the ba.

thanks wayne

[email protected].

From experience I would only use a BA who lives/works in the State where you plan to purchase. I would also make sure that recommendations made by BA is backed up with evidence, not just an opinion. I can give you one for free.

I have purchased most of my own properties as I have time and like doing my own research.

I have also networked with a BA who is an experienced investor and she has helped me look at other strategies as a way of moving ahead faster. I use her for QLD area, but would not use her in any other State.

This is my not so good story using BA - 12 months ago I used BA to purchase in Melb as I am from Perth. The BA lacked experience and I lost some good deals and $500 fee. Fortunately ended up purchasing in Melb myself and it worked out well. To add insult to injury I found out the BA was from Perth, I assumed she was in Melb.

It's not all bad, but you definately need to do your homework.

Cheers, MTR

Hi MTR

Would you be able to send the details (PM if you want) of the BA you use for QLD please. We are based here and looking to invest here and would be interested in meeting with them as you have described them.

Thanks
Tex:)

The BA I work with often charges between $5k & $10k. There are a number of factors involved in her quotes, but I'm yet to hear a complaint about her prices.

BTW, I get nothing from her by recommending her to people, I just like to recommend people who are good at what they do.

hi peter,

could you pm me her details. :)
thanks yorkie;)

Hi MTR

Would you be able to send the details (PM if you want) of the BA you use for QLD please. We are based here and looking to invest here and would be interested in meeting with them as you have described them.

Thanks
Tex:)

hi mtr, if you could pm me the qld ba as well be good. thanks.
yorkiefish

Back