Are internet trolls mentally stable?

There is no doubt that some behaviour from people on this forum fits the term "trolling"

The hidden or deceptive identities, constantly trying to provoke an emotional response, off topic subjects, attacks or trying to change the subject to provoke an attack by other members, etc etc, all very absurd behaviours and not the behaviour that I would expect from a normal mentally stable person.

I and others on this forum have from time to time fallen for those tactics only to end up in a downward spiral argument that ends up in the post being removed or closed or people being personally attacked.

I have spoken to many bigger players on the property market who have been attacked here and have not returned. The trolls invalidate the strategy the big players use and attract other trolls to do the same. (most trolls only come in when they feel that they have a majority ruling, they are not big enough emotionally to make a stand alone statement and cannot themselves handle being confronted or attacked).

The smaller players who are learning, asking questions or have a few properties are not threatening to the trolls and mostly left alone.

I think I'm learning to handle them better by ignoring emotionally charged comments or invalidations.

Staying positive is also another good tactic as it does not give the trolls anything negative to grab onto. Although even on positive posts, watch out for grammatical errors or spelling mistakes because the trolls will come in to highlight it.

That's my experience, what are the experience of others? and

Do you think that people who feel the need to constantly attack others behind a hidden identity on an internet forum could be happy, healthy and wealthy people in real life?

get over it and grow up.

/end trolling....

:) :) :)

In answer to your question, I am a moderator on a few very large forums, and most of the trouble makers are usually just young people being idiots and playing the fool, showing off etc. Always lots more activity with trolls during school holidays and such. And yes the core members do get sucked in and offended.. but that is part of what a forum is all about anyway.

Keyboard warriors... :)

I would not know a troll if I fell over one.

I post my opinions and people are welcome to agree or disagree. That is the nature of forums. I don't get into arguments, rarely post more than once on a topic.

Some people defend their position agressively, some are prepared to live and let live. Some like to point out mistakes, others take a kinder view. Rather like society in general.

After all, on an anonymous forum no-one knows whether a post reflects a true opinion or is simply stirring. If people allow themselves to be provoked then that is their decision. If I don't like the direction a thread takes I stop reading it.

I've benefitted by being a member of this forum and have learned heaps.
Marg

There is no doubt that some behaviour from people on this forum fits the term "trolling"

Wouldn't your thread on others trolling, be classed as trolling.:rolleyes:

I have spoken to many bigger players on the property market who have been attacked here and have not returned. The trolls invalidate the strategy the big players use and attract other trolls to do the same.

So the big players in property find that perhaps they don't always have a willing audience to spruik to, so take their bat and go home.
Attacked ??, or offered a counter argument contrary to theirs. Maybe the D&G tag used by the big players in property on here against anyone who doesn't see endless rainbows with property, is not "normal" mentally. Perhaps.

Take the forum for what its worth.

An introduction for people who are just getting into investing mostly.

You can very quickly outgrow Somersoft once you gain some experience.

I come back when I've got time to kill, and spend much more time on other (completely unrelated) forums.

Don't bother reading or responding to those argumentative posts. Usually both sides have valid arguments, but the posters usually are anything but articulate, and its painful to read.

i always thought it's the people who fall victims to trolls are mentally unstable, cause all the normal people would just ignore them

Take the forum for what its worth.

An introduction for people who are just getting into investing mostly.

You can very quickly outgrow Somersoft once you gain some experience.

I come back when I've got time to kill, and spend much more time on other (completely unrelated) forums.

Don't bother reading or responding to those argumentative posts. Usually both sides have valid arguments, but the posters usually are anything but articulate, and its painful to read.

well said. Years ago it had taught me a lot too.

You're going to get heated disagreements on a forum. Some might even have their nose put out of joint but it doesn't mean the person they're arguing with is a troll.

Nor is a person you rarely see eye to eye with and who's personality you can't warm to (and they to you).

Most forums at different times will attract more forceful and vocal personalities, just like in society in general (as Marg puts it). Think of the work place, schools, neighborhood, etc.

We all roll our eyes sometimes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

The majority of trolls appear for a short time, cause havoc and then disappear.

Don't feed a troll and problems are few and far between.

Wouldn't your thread on others trolling, be classed as trolling.:rolleyes:

mmmm could be? it does have an antagonistic angle so I can see how you would think that.

It was however written as an interest point and not covert provocation by an anonymous person. I do find the responses interesting.

i always thought it's the people who fall victims to trolls are mentally unstable, cause all the normal people would just ignore them
spot on! .... back to more self development work. Understanding the psychology on both sides helps to stabilise the balance.

So the big players in property find that perhaps they don't always have a willing audience to spruik to, so take their bat and go home.
Attacked ??, or offered a counter argument contrary to theirs. Maybe the D&G tag used by the big players in property on here against anyone who doesn't see endless rainbows with property, is not "normal" mentally. Perhaps.

counter arguments are great - there aren't many who will have a problem with that.

some people are literally attacked and stories made up about them that are not true, accusations of bankruptcy, etc.... They are people that started small, found a niche and made some money they are not animals who push products to people who don't want them.

Disclaimer: Not intended to be a troll post :p

Some users on here have tunnel vision and like to throw around labels (e.g. D&Ger for anyone that isn't bullish on property right now). I think a lot of posters who have a short to medium negative outlook for property are thrown into the troll basket without much consideration for their point of view (e.g. if they think prices will fall then they are instantly compared to Keen or other ultra bears that have come before). It seems to be assumed by some that if you are not interested in buying property right now then you are wasting time by visiting or posting on this forum.

Personally I think a bigger problem on this forum than trolls are users who are simply too stubborn to look at another point of view or the possibilities with an open mind (bulls & bears).

Reactions: weg
There is an internet maxim which has been around for as long as there have been discussion forums in various forms (ie USENET, BBSes, mailing lists, forums, etc):

"Don't feed the trolls"

... or in other words, don't empower the trolls by engaging with them - that is exactly what they want - to cause a reaction, the more heated the better.

We have some anti-real estate investment types visit from other forums occasionally who just love to stir every one up into a frenzy - they know exactly which buttons to press to get a reaction. If only people here would learn to ignore them, their game would be no fun and they'd go and find someone else to pick on ... but alas, there are enough naive people here, plus enough people who just love the challenge of troll baiting (reverse trolling?) to sustain the interest. You get that.

All part of life online - you just need to learn to deal with it.

If you have a problem with a specific poster, or posts, please report it to the moderators (or directly to me), I have a pretty low tolerance of trolls and trolling.

I will note, that sometimes it can be difficult to pick between a troll and a contrarian ... the line between them is often quite grey and ill-defined.

... in regards to the original question about mental stability - I'm not sure I'd label these people as mentally unstable ... but there is a certain personality type who are more likely to partake in the game of trolling.

I've learned to identify quite a few personality types in online forums. Some personality "types" might even be considered personality "disorders" - but that may also be too judgemental, one person's disorder, is another person's quirk. What you might see as being mentally unstable, is just someone's eccentricities, or perhaps a different perspective on life which puts you at odds since you share little in common or have no frame of reference for understanding.

Either way, I must admit, it's the narcissists who tend to cause me the most grief online, but I rarely find trolls to be narcissistic.

From another thread:

uuummmm guys, this thread was dead and I gave it some life today. I could have let it go but Keep going I LOVE the attention. ;)

Also I learn a lot from these. Causing storms in a tea cup on the internet help me to handle objections later on in real life. KEEP GOING.

Sounds an awful lot like trolling to me.

nothing more than tall poppy syndrome.

considering over 85% exhibit symptoms of the syndrome, the communist mentality is alive and well and cognitive dissonance is the driving force.

just as much as they are ignoratn of the benefits of investing, i choose to be ignorant of the benefits of not investing.

Back