Are written offers better than verbal ones?

Are written offers better than verbal ones?

• Yes

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jacque said:
Well, that may have been your experience Seech :) but mine was different. Then again, you bought far more many properties than I
Horses for courses anyway...

As a rule I don't tell agents we have lots of properties, and I don't tell them what I do as a job , at least not until we signed ( again there will be exceptions , depending on the circumstances). Most of the properties have been bought ,one per agent , so with two exception, most agents havn't known we were buying multiple properties.

Even when people say they are buying multiple properties, I think agents would discount a lot of what is said to them.

Jacque said:
AND no doubt your more suave and sophisticated approach made agents bend over backwards for you...

:eek: As a card Carrying Member of " Nerds R' us" I highly resent that comment. The biggest frustration in my life , is that I havn't been able to get a DVD of my favourite movie " Revenge of the Nerds " . Where was that Darth Vada Suit when I needed it .....

One thing that I havn't said is that it's easier to practive Verbal Offers... and like anything , Practice makes Perfect. Before we actually started buying , we went around our local area making low ball offers , just to see what we could get away with , and also to see how we reacted with the agent when we made an offer considerably lower than expectations ...

See Change

people (inparticular sea change),

If we had an agreement for you to buy a house for $1m and when it came time you changed your story and paid me $500K at settlement, how do you think my case would go if I tried to litigate against you for the difference? If I had a written offer & acceptance form the amount, conditions and dates are indisputable and thus i have more of a legal leg to stand on if there is a need for litigation. In WA isn't it a requirement that a O&A form be written up - this is what gets stamped for stamp duty aswell as other legal requirements. Also how do you fax the offer to a settlement agent, bank or other entity if it is a verbal offer, something goes in writting at some point, doesn't???

Buying property with a verbal agreement in my opionion doesn't mean squat (as i said before) as the offer can be a misunderstood and people can misinterprete what the conditions were meant to be.... Unless of course you have a number of witnesses that in court could varify what the offer was, however this too is highly unlikely and invariably people at the time, don't fully listen (ie they switch off), they themselves misunderstand, or their memory fails them due to time and when they get badgered by an attorney.

I have found that if you make an offer as a verbal offer the agent and vendor like to see it on paper as it is not "real" (see my point above). I think people have been conditioned into getting something written up, as dtraeger2k said "they are not worth the paper they are written on". Go try and buy a car with a verbal offer and see what the salesman says.(I'm not trying to open a new thread here just making a point about verbal offers).

How is it that you bought a house without an o&a document anyway? Does a solicitor take care of the paper work for you? when you buy an ip do you go through a house and say to the agent I want this this and this for this amount fo $$$? how do you remember what you have asked for later on?

I take it that out of the 15 IP's you';ve purchased you've never had a problem at all with any of the details ie termite inspections, structural reports, curtains, furniture etc. has all the stuff be as it was when you purchased it - ho is the vendor supposed to know what he's allowed to take with him or what is requirement are - do you write them down?

Finally....Do you make the distinction between "verbally negotiating a price and writing up an offer after the price is agreed" and "agreeing on a price and proceeding to settlement", do you say that they are a "written offer" and a "verbal offer" respectively? I think you need to clarify the difference as you see it.

Hey if your happy to make a verbal offer thats fine, a lot of people prefer to have it in writing as its is a more legally binding contract.

Sorry if I've appeared to "go off" at you - it's not intentional (trying to type this quickly at work) but you seem to like one method and have said that the other is uneccessary (maybe I misinterpreted you post) - all investors and people are different and have different methods. If it good for you great.... I personally like a written offer (although I may negotiate a price prior to signing off the O&A).

Hot topic this one.... it would be good to debate this in person - but there's heaps of you- hehe. A few definitions of what people call a verbal offer and written offers are may be handy - but then again people interpretations come into it again....(wheres that oxford dictionary?)...

Big post again - lots of waffle but i've tried to write my thoughts down in spurts over the past 3 hours (damn work)....structure and spelling may be poo too....sorry.

cya keg75 :)

keg75 said:
people (inparticular sea change),

If we had an agreement for you to buy a house for $1m and when it came time you changed your story and paid me $500K at settlement, how do you think my case would go if I tried to litigate against you for the difference? If I had a written offer & acceptance form the amount, conditions and dates are indisputable and thus i have more of a legal leg to stand on if there is a need for litigation. In WA isn't it a requirement that a O&A form be written up - this is what gets stamped for stamp duty aswell as other legal requirements. Also how do you fax the offer to a settlement agent, bank or other entity if it is a verbal offer, something goes in writting at some point, doesn't???

Buying property with a verbal agreement in my opionion doesn't mean squat (as i said before) as the offer can be a misunderstood and people can misinterprete what the conditions were meant to be.... Unless of course you have a number of witnesses that in court could varify what the offer was, however this too is highly unlikely and invariably people at the time, don't fully listen (ie they switch off), they themselves misunderstand, or their memory fails them due to time and when they get badgered by an attorney.

I have found that if you make an offer as a verbal offer the agent and vendor like to see it on paper as it is not "real" (see my point above). I think people have been conditioned into getting something written up, as dtraeger2k said "they are not worth the paper they are written on". Go try and buy a car with a verbal offer and see what the salesman says.(I'm not trying to open a new thread here just making a point about verbal offers).

How is it that you bought a house without an o&a document anyway? Does a solicitor take care of the paper work for you? when you buy an ip do you go through a house and say to the agent I want this this and this for this amount fo $$$? how do you remember what you have asked for later on?

I take it that out of the 15 IP's you';ve purchased you've never had a problem at all with any of the details ie termite inspections, structural reports, curtains, furniture etc. has all the stuff be as it was when you purchased it - ho is the vendor supposed to know what he's allowed to take with him or what is requirement are - do you write them down?

Finally....Do you make the distinction between "verbally negotiating a price and writing up an offer after the price is agreed" and "agreeing on a price and proceeding to settlement", do you say that they are a "written offer" and a "verbal offer" respectively? I think you need to clarify the difference as you see it.

Hey if your happy to make a verbal offer thats fine, a lot of people prefer to have it in writing as its is a more legally binding contract.

Sorry if I've appeared to "go off" at you - it's not intentional (trying to type this quickly at work) but you seem to like one method and have said that the other is uneccessary (maybe I misinterpreted you post) - all investors and people are different and have different methods. If it good for you great.... I personally like a written offer (although I may negotiate a price prior to signing off the O&A).

Hot topic this one.... it would be good to debate this in person - but there's heaps of you- hehe. A few definitions of what people call a verbal offer and written offers are may be handy - but then again people interpretations come into it again....(wheres that oxford dictionary?)...

Big post again - lots of waffle but i've tried to write my thoughts down in spurts over the past 3 hours (damn work)....structure and spelling may be poo too....sorry.

cya keg75 :)

Keg , I think you're confusing the offer with the contract.

An offer is not legally binding , whether it's verbal or written ( at least where I've been buying ) A written offer will have more emotional bargaining power but as far as I know has no more legal status.

In your first senario , where you have made an offer and you're preceeding to settlement , you have to have signed a contract. That is legally binding.This is NOT A WRITTEN OFFER . I can't sign a contract and then turn around and say I only want to pay 500k with out giving you the right to forfit my deposit and sue me for a short fall if you sell it at a lower price later on .

I havn't bought in WA so I am unfamiliar with O&A forms.

I always document in my diary when I have made an offer . If someone is going to dispute that , untill I have actually signed a contract , I have no come back if they decided to go with another offer. If I have given them a written offer I have no more come back.

If people stuff me around I walk away. I have no interest in getting involved in legal arguements over the purchase of a property . I try to avoid ( and so far successfully ) getting emotionally involved in any purchase. When the market is right , there are plenty of good buys around.

I have done this . In Logan with one property , after agreeing on a price, the vendors decided they wanted another $500. I politely told the agent where they could stuff it.

When I sign a contract ( In Q'land ) it will have several clauses in it , depending on the circumstances.

The minimum is These will state that the contract is subject to my satisfaction with the building and pest inspection.

That it is subject to me obtaining finance to my satisfaction.

So far we've signed four contracts on properties prior to seeing them. In this
situation we add a clause stating that the puchase is "subject to purchaser satisfaction with an inspection of the property ". In one situation the agent had completely misrepresented the property , and I told him so in no uncertain terms ( havn't bothered using him again). One we're yet to see, but I had someone I trust check it out, and I also questioned the building inspector at length. The other two went ahead after we checked them out.

See Change

BTW

as I have previously stated, I havn't voted on this Poll as I have no personal experience for making a comparison.

The question is not , What do you use ? Verbal or written offers?

But Which is better . Those are completly different questions.

So far only one person has indicated they have any basis on making a personal comparison between the two methods. Given the overwhelming vote infavour of written offers, I was wondering whether this was on the basis of personal experience or as a result of listening to various guru's saying what they do.

See Change

see_change said:
Can't vote as I don't know

Have never made a written offer. Have never had problems with verbal ones.

I've never had a problem having an offer taken seriously, think alot depends on how you relate to agents. Some people on the forum seem to think that agents always are out to screw them (and every one ) but I've found that if you're up front with the agents about what you're doing , and come across as having some degree of integrity you don't need to make written ones.

See Change

Seech

You obviously have a certain gravitas about you that agent's just know you're a heavy hitter... ;)

My verbal offers aren't worth the paper they're written on :p

I'm with Sim. I always fax through the offer with all the relevant headings from the contract so that the agent is just plucking the details, word for word, from the fax. Also very useful for special conditions...

Gee , First I have a suave and sophisticated approach. Now I have a certain gravitas about me that agent's just know I'm a heavy hitter..

Can I get you guys to write a reference for me so I can use it the next time I'm trying to get the attention of the salesman in a BMW salesroom....

I'm the one the salesmen look at and then decide it's more important to keep reading the latest issue of Shares or API...

Seriously, it causes no end of frustration. :confused:

See Change

if you look anything like your avatar then I can see why the keep reading their mags!! :)

hehe keg75 :)

p.s. I'll respond to your comments later... ciao

I'm with Seachange on this one (although not nearly as many properties). I have never had any difficulty with verbal offers. I think it comes down to whether or not the agent believes you are a genuine buyer.

I have a little experience making both verbal and written offers. I guess it depends on the situation but I have found a written offer provides the ability to low-ball the vendor whilst including justification for the price, whereas a low verbal bid may be dismissed outright by the agent.

A quick fax outlining the bid, why you believe the property is worth $x, your finance situation (approved, banks and solicitor ready to proceed) and the words 'immediate exchange' go a long way. I would think an agent will think twice about ignoring that.

Btw a real estate agent showed me this method, and it has worked well a couple of times so far (I'm no property tycoon). If you want to bargain hard and start low, perhaps it's a good way to break the ice.

Learner said:
Does anyone have a basic template that they would use and simply fill in the blanks? If so, would you mind linking it to the forum for those who haven't utilised this form of process. Also, in addition to Geoff's comment that in some states agents are legally obligated to put the offer forth to the vendors; how exactly would the purchasers know if the agents in actual fact have obliged to these legal obligations? (a little more to the pot to think about...)
I've been thinking of similar template. It would very handy to have all the necessary Subject To: clauses with abilty to write down an offer on the spot. Does anyone have one they use that they would like to share ?

Yeah got one somewhere...will have a look for it....it's VERY basic though.

I should post it to PI as well - they've been telling people to buy one for only $65 or so....

Come to think of it - drop me a $20 & I'll not only post the template in the forum, but PERSONALLY email you a copy - when I get round to it ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

see_change said:
I'm curious as to the overwhelming vote in favour of written offers.

Is that because people have actually had the opportunity to compare one method with the other, or is it just because that's what people have been told to do by various guru's ?

[snip]
See Change
See Change,
I tried verbal but agents said a formal offer was required. Translated, this means an REIQ contract signed by me with my price and conditions.

Probably a contract makes the agent feel more in control. They are probably trained that way to keep pressure on and to ensure that the commission goes to the 'right' bloke.

In other areas of life the negotiating and agreement come first and the agreed price and conditions are checked in the contract by the signatories including the lawyers prior to signature.

A cash contract might have some sway with a seller. Who knows?

My experience is limited but I've never been convinced that a contract signed by me put me in a stronger negotiation position with a seller. If anything, it could have the opposite effect.

Lplate

LPlate,

My understanding is that Queensland is different.

When I was selling up there last year, the buyer's offer came as part of the contract- twent something pages. My counter offer was wittern on the contract, and faxed back. When both offers matched, and the contract was siigned by both parties, that constitued excahnge.

In other states, exchange takes place some time after "acceptance" of offers (I've had an offer accepted- and then reneged before exchange, after I'd paid for inspections.

Aceyducey said:
Come to think of it - drop me a $20 & I'll not only post the template in the forum, but PERSONALLY email you a copy - when I get round to it ;)

The Cheque is in the mail Acey :p

geoffw said:
LPlate,

My understanding is that Queensland is different.

When I was selling up there last year, the buyer's offer came as part of the contract- twent something pages. My counter offer was wittern on the contract, and faxed back. When both offers matched, and the contract was siigned by both parties, that constitued excahnge.

In other states, exchange takes place some time after "acceptance" of offers (I've had an offer accepted- and then reneged before exchange, after I'd paid for inspections.
Geoffw
Yes, that's how I've done it too in God's Own Country. But See Change has been able to get some agreement before commiting it to paper in Qld and this approach would suit me. I think I'll give it a go next time.
My lawyer hates having paper with all of those scratch-outs. He'd like to have the terms of the agreement sorted before it is put on paper. Then there is one clean original.

tks
Lplate

LPlate,

It may be how the agent chooses to run things.

As a vendor, I was happy for it to be run that way- the purchaser also appeared to be not too upset.

I've seen vendors in NSW being dragged along for months by buyers who have offered, and had the oofer accepted- only to have the funding turned down. The Qld way of doing things is obviously designed to stop this happening.

I guess see_change's oral offers would ahve had to be followed up by a formal, contractual exchange (unless they were done before any change of rules).

Or I could have been complete duped myself!

Always used written offers stating:-
price
settlement time
any conditions: finance, inspections etc
Bought 2 houses from the same agent who is a friend, verbal offer and then dropped in written offer asap.
Used written offers with 3 other agents on 4 different properties, only one other accepted.

scouse

Hi Guys,

Just found this thread which is very interesting from my perspective as an agent. Thought I would pass on my thoughts from my angle, it may help.

I am surprised by how many salespeople still take verbal offers by what has been said here. You may be interested to know what The Queensland Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act 2001 ( PAMD) has to say on this matter. ( www.consumer.qld.gov.au )

Agents to keep clients informed of changes
1. "A real estate agent appointed to sell, buy, lease or exchange a property for a client must keep the client informed of any significant development or issue in relation to the property".
2. "Without limiting subsection (1), a real estate agent must immediately communicate to the client each expression of interest, whether written or oral, about the sale, purchase, lease or exchange of the property".

This said, we will advise our owner of an expression of interest but will advise our vendor to not negotiate until the offer is in writing by way of a formal REIQ contract. The reason, to protect both owner and purchaser. I have seen far too often where one party will renege on price or conditions after having verbally agreed previously. This can happen by either party and it causes extreme stress when it does occur ( And who does everyone look to blame :D ). I am surprised anybody, agent or consumer would want it dealt verbally. Anything that would be agreed to would mean nothing if someone changed their mind. A verbal contract is extremely difficult to prove and very highly unlikely to stand up in court.

As investors I ask you this. If you were able to negotiate a very good purchase price on a property, possibly much less than the list price, do you think it possible the owners may inadvertantly pass this info onto someone who recognises the " Bargain" and says, I'll pay you that or a couple of grand more. The agent or one of his workmates who hears of it may contact another buyer to let them know there is a good buy and to "get in quick". Anything can happen, and does.

It is different in Qld where the agency draws the contract and sends the fully signed documents to the solicitor to administer until settlement unlike southern states where exchange occurs.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Reactions: Sim
Back