Are you in your 20s and a first home buyer?

Hi,

I'm a journalist and I work for ABC's Triple J TV. I've made some great contacts on this site - even a few who will be invited to be on the program.

I'm still working on the show that will look into property and young people's attitude toward investing

We're on the search for first home buyers who are in their 20s. It can be a single person, a couple, siblings or a couple of friends. Ideally this person / duo has / have been looking each Saturday for the past few months for their perfect home.

We are also planning to film (next Saturday - 9th August) a 'typical Saturday' as they continue their search to find the perfect home.

If you know of anyone who fits the bill please let me know.

I'm a journalist and I work for ABC's Triple J TV. I've made some great contacts on this site - even a few who will be invited to be on the program.

Antoniette, you might first wish to respond to those who wrote detailed replies to your previous thread so that such people might be more disposed to help you second time around.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=432656#post432656

We're on the search for first home buyers who are in their 20s. It can be a single person, a couple, siblings or a couple of friends. Ideally this person / duo has / have been looking each Saturday for the past few months for their perfect home.

Given that most people have appetites far above their needs, there is possibly no such thing as a 'perfect home'. Especially for young people with limited finances. So why go on about a thing that probably doesn't exist, or if it does might as well not exist due to its unaffordable price?

There are however many homes that are 'good enough'. Some even represent good value as well. 'Good enough' homes probably won't have all the bedrooms, bathrooms and garages that the 'perfect home' has, but eventually their occupants grow to love them.

Far better to buy a 'good enough' home than none at all.

Peter (recent first homebuyer)

Good friends of mine who are both in their 20's just bought their first home in Wollongong and absolutely love it. But as they're no longer looking, I presume they don't meet your criteria...

But I'm sure you'll get heaps of hits here with that request. And, Peter, I think any home as a FHB is a "perfect" home. I don't think Antoinette was alluding to their requiring something beyond their means. My friends recognise their house as entry level but still think it is "perfect" for their current requirements.

Cheers,
Michael

Antoinette responded to me, and I'm way too old for her show. I gather she responded to a few other people, too. She has been better at this than other journos who have come here previously, despite the fact that she coped some pretty snotty responses.

But Peter is right, Antoinette. I know a few prospective first home buyers who mope around and complain about not being able to afford or find their perfect home.
My first home was crap.
I reckon alot of people here would say the same thing.

You know what would make good TV? Following a couple of starry eyed youngsters searching for their perfect home in suburbs where they won't find it. And then getting someone to take them to another suburb where there are not so perfect homes aplenty in their price range.

Scott

Antoniette, you might first wish to respond to those who wrote detailed replies to your previous thread so that such people might be more disposed to help you second time around.

Given that most people have appetites far above their needs, there is possibly no such thing as a 'perfect home'. Especially for young people with limited finances. So why go on about a thing that probably doesn't exist, or if it does might as well not exist due to its unaffordable price?

There are however many homes that are 'good enough'. Some even represent good value as well. 'Good enough' homes probably won't have all the bedrooms, bathrooms and garages that the 'perfect home' has, but eventually their occupants grow to love them.

Far better to buy a 'good enough' home than none at all.

Peter (recent first homebuyer)

Hi Peter,
I sent private messages to about a dozen posters from the last thread.
Antoinette

Can also confirm that Antionette responded to me as well. I thought her conduct and responses have been professional and transperant.

Antoinette responded to me, and I'm way too old for her show. I gather she responded to a few other people, too. She has been better at this than other journos who have come here previously, despite the fact that she coped some pretty snotty responses.

Totally agreed. Have we become a bit full of ourselves on this site?:confused:

You know what would make good TV? Following a couple of starry eyed youngsters searching for their perfect home in suburbs where they won't find it. And then getting someone to take them to another suburb where there are not so perfect homes aplenty in their price range.

Like this idea too. Location Location Location (UK version) sometimes achieves this, although that isn't the premise of the show. They educate, entertain and inform in a very laid back, professional yet humorous way.

what's not transparent is that Today Tonight are also trawling this thread.

i got an this email not 5 mins after posting

Hi Aaron,

My name is Stephanie and I'm a Researcher for Today Tonight...

Just read a post you submitted on the Somersoft forum sight saying you own a whopping 4 houses and you're in your 20s...

Where are the houses located, how do you manage to do something so many others seem unable to do and exactly how old are you??

Obviously real estate is such a hot topic on the show and I would love to have a chat to you further about your achievements...

I'm in our Sydney office all week so either reply to this email, call the mobile or pass on your number and I'll call you back...

Kind regards,

Stephanie

Stephanie Picone

Researcher | Today Tonight

Seven Network (Operations) Limited

Sir Samuel Griffith Drive | Mount Coot-tha

Brisbane | QLD 4006 | Australia

Telephone +61 07 3368 7321 | Facsimile +61 07 3368 7418 | Mobile +61 432 698 603

i replied with the truth

Hi Peter,
I sent private messages to about a dozen posters from the last thread.
Antoinette

Antoniette, that's good to hear - thanks for clearing that up.

But since this is a forum, not all of us were privy to the PMs referred to and many just lurk and read, maybe you could write a quick synopsis of feedback received (without identifying anyone) to 'close the loop' so no one is looking at this in a year's time is thinking 'wonder if anything came of that...'.

Peter

i replied with the truth

Don't know if I could stomach sitting through an episode of that show Aaron, but if you get on let us know and I'll do my best! ;)

hahaha, I knew you before you were famous Aaron...can I have your autograph??

Seriously though, it would be great to have a bit of positive encouragement come from that show (and its ilk on Channel 9...) rather than the usual "house got repossessed, coz I had a car accident in 1988 and never paid my insurance claim. Its sooo unfair etc"

Good stuff!

I'd also like to see Nathan on there as well, and he is Sydney based.

I replied with the truth

Just be careful Aaron,

Long story short - From a well-known friend :

The media has a way of manipulating the truth and can basically edit and cut anything they like to promote their story anyway they can.

I would want some sort of contract/agreement that you would view the footage before it is aired.

It sounds like a positive enquiry, but I do not trust reporters at all. Especially those from a Currant Affair.

However, it would be great for you to show some Gen Y's what they can achieve if they try and I do really hope to see you shoot to instant Stardom! We can all say that we knew you first!:D

PS: Just noticed I wrote "currant" instead of "Current". Seems fitting some how....:p

Regards Jo

Last edited:
I would want some sort of contract/agreement that you would view the footage before it is aired.

Would have to agree with above quote BUT would also want to approve that it could be shown on TV.

Our family has been interviewed by the local press 3 times over the last 5 years and the journalist had a set agenda...basically wanted a name and photo to go along with what the journalist wanted or was instruced to write about.

I have a 27 year old son who has saved, budgeted and gone without to build his deposit up and buy his first house. We are proud of him...and I chuckle when he says "Mum I don't need to buy that it costs money".

He needs to buy a lawn mower as he has been in his house for weeks now waiting for a good quality brand name mower to come on special!

Regards
Sheryn

i'm not going on Today Tonight! my god - what do you all take me for?

ambulance chasing gutter journalism at it's best. i just answered he question with the truth. there' no way in HELLFIRE and DAMNATION that i'll EVER go on that program voluntarily.

Hi,

I'm still working on the show that will look into property and young people's attitude toward investing

We are also planning to film (next Saturday - 9th August) a 'typical Saturday' as they continue their search to find the perfect home.

If you know of anyone who fits the bill please let me know.

Hi Antoinette,

Another method of tracking down a home buyer in their 20's for your story could be to contact a real estate agency with offices in a number of locations. Eg Hocking Stuart, L.J Hooker etc. They would be bound to have people on their lists who would be currently looking to purchase property. Naturally the agents won't give you prospective buyer's contact numbers, but an agent may ask a prospective buyers whether they are interested in appearing on your show.

Another idea is to follow an agent around on weekends, and see if you can find someone who is willing to be interviewed for your show.

When does your show air?

Regards Jason.

Thanks for your advice. We have put calls in to several real eastate agents, mortgage brokers and property related businesses (including magazines and websites).

Hopefully the perfect profile person will pop up.

Would have to agree with above quote BUT would also want to approve that it could be shown on TV.

Our family has been interviewed by the local press 3 times over the last 5 years and the journalist had a set agenda...basically wanted a name and photo to go along with what the journalist wanted or was instruced to write about.

I have a 27 year old son who has saved, budgeted and gone without to build his deposit up and buy his first house. We are proud of him...and I chuckle when he says "Mum I don't need to buy that it costs money".

He needs to buy a lawn mower as he has been in his house for weeks now waiting for a good quality brand name mower to come on special!

Regards
Sheryn

Hi Sheryn,

Thanks for your post. I'd like the opportunity to speak to your son. I can explain the intention of the story over the phone in detail. We dont have an agenda given that this story is merely a "profile piece" on a young investor... the analysis and discussion will take place in the studio with our panelists and wont be explored in the recorded story.

I work for the national public broadcaster, it has a long, credible history.

I hope to hear from you.

Back