Asbestos in Perth house

I have found an area I believe will be strong for capital growth. Only problem is the properties that fit my budget and location have asbestos in them.

I never touch these sorts of houses - due to the stigma. But I feel the location of the block means I should give serious consideration.

It is my intention to buy, rent for 5 - 10 years and then demolish and rebuild.

I would get a licensed expert to inspect the house in regards to the asbestos before purchase and contain a clause for the tenant to sign when leasing.

But still I keep having negative thoughts about the asbestos.

Am I overeacting?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Regards

Keen

Over reacting? i think so!
Their are some asbestos in most if not all buildings, James hardy mined the stuff adding it to almost all fibro cement sheeting, {hence fiber} , wall sheeting esp bathrooms, and roofing. The worst type of asbestos is found in the ceiling cavity, it came as a fluffy fill that was thrown into roof for insulation, this is the major one to be carefull of.
The other types are not to be cut drilled or grinded, and as long as the product stays in "sutue" its ok.
When removing large sheets the contractors , spray the product with water and pvc glue so the fibres stick to the sheets, then they are plastic sealed and burried somewhere never to be seen again, they wear breathing aperatus whilst doing this.
Thousands of homes are like this one you are talking about and if they were that bad they would have removed them.
Get your foot in the door i say!

I would get a licensed expert to inspect the house in regards to the asbestos before purchase
OK fine. Fibro house will have asbestos. Can I have some money for advising you of this please?:p

and contain a clause for the tenant to sign when leasing.
I would not be doing that! That is opening a whole can of worms (legal). Tenant can make own enquiries.

But still I keep having negative thoughts about the asbestos.
As craigb says there are thousands - many hundreds of thousands of homes made of fibro. Don't break it, sand it, file it or drill it. Paint it and leave it alone. When you do eventually have it demolished - get the experts in with the masks & overalls.

Am I overeacting?
Yes.

Back