Asbestos Questions

Happy new year to all, I was reading a post about lead in paint where the discussions also covered the dangers of asbestos. Living in and renovating a house full of asbestos I found the discussion interesting as at times I find myself a bit flippant of the dangers and at others times totally freaked out. One comment was related to the new product/s available that replace asbestos/cement bonded sheets with tradies perhaps even more wary of these than they were/are of asbestos. Can anyone shed any light or expand on this comment. Is it just the dust when cutting or is there a new danger lurking to finish us renovators off?
Regards,
macwilsons.

The primary danger is asbestos dust as it fragments into smaller and smaller particles within the human body, notably the lungs, causing all sorts of very unpleasant diseases.

I used to have to assess asbestos in one of my previous jobs and it really is very pretty under the microscope. For what it is worth, I will play with electrical wiring or gas plumbing, but will run as far as possible from asbestos.:eek:

Having said that, provided it is undisturbed, it is OK. If you have to work with it, try to keep it as damp as possible to avoid any dust particles.

Good luck.

One comment was related to the new product/s available that replace asbestos/cement bonded sheets with tradies perhaps even more wary of these than they were/are of asbestos. Can anyone shed any light or expand on this comment. Is it just the dust when cutting or is there a new danger lurking to finish us renovators off?
Regards,
macwilsons.

Don't rightly know.

The guy's that took off our old fibro roof made the comment re: the new stuff, maybe remembering back to when the manufacturers said "Asbestos was good".

There's been no evidence to say that the new product won't kill you............yet.

I'd reckon treat it as pottentially evil.

BB

my building teacher used to tell us that medium density fibreboard was banned in a number of european countries cos of the formaldehyde and stuff in it and cos of the super fine dust it creates when sawn, that's really easy to get into your lungs. but we still use it here.

i mean, your lungs aren't meant to have anything in them at all, so anything that produces smoke or dust i'd be avoiding or wearing a proper mask around...

I understand the thinking with asbestos - if you cant see it is it really that dangerous and all.

I know when my bathroom was getting renod in my IP about 1 1/2 yrs ago the guy just freaked when he saw the old hardie wetboard, thing is you dont know if its there until you rip the wall out.

Its pretty stable if you arent moving it but say if you drop it, a piece cracks off, the stuff is invisible and goes in the air, then into your lungs (and wherever else).

I would figure that with all of the compensation claims going on with James Hardie historically and ongoing theres probably a pretty good reason to be wary of the stuff. Do a google on james hardie compensation, the reading goes forever.

Cutting a corner and saving bucks isnt worth risking yourself and your family

Having said that, provided it is undisturbed, it is OK. If you have to work with it, try to keep it as damp as possible to avoid any dust particles.
My step father is an old chippie and he damps it down to work with it when cutting. There are stories of oldtimers coming home covered in the asbestos dust and they are still kicking. It seems to be a hit and miss where some don't get it and some do.

The new stuff has cellulose fibre and cement and sand. The problem now is that all this stuff is cut with abrasive power tools, lungs can get many dust diseases, silicates in these products can be a problem too.. not as bad as asbestos though....

cheers
pulse

Hi all

Just to add to the list of things to worry about.

I was telling my chippy about a product that laminex now produces - can't think of the name, but it looks like ceasar stone and is about 6mm thick and you glue it over a substrait to make granite look bench tops etc.

He warned me about the glues used - (he moved here recently from england, if it matters) he told me to be careful with them as they cause depression?:(

Celeste

Celeste,

May I suggest that your chippy mate was getting depressed becasue of England - not the glue fumes!

Just making light I know - nothing light about asbestos though - my 73 year old father recently passed away from all the damage caused to his lungs which statted when he was a chippy 50 years ago.

Aimjoy

Does anyone know how and where I can safely dispose of a small amount of asbestos? it Would fill one or 2 laundry buckets?
I'm in Sydney

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg.

Last year I replaced an asbestos roof (with a mate) and so found out what I needed to do (in Melbourne). You will have to find a tip that will take it and they will tell you what you need to do. We used a bin where the hire included the removal and had to wrap it in two layers of black poly with each layer sealed with tape. There are also laws as to what you need to wear and what breathing aperatus to use when working with it.

Silas

Greg, most landfills will take it. My local one charges $100 minimum charge, at $400 per tonne I think.

Cheers
Pulse

My neighbours (five doors up) have an asbestos roof which is currently being removed and replaced with colorbond. Two 'tradies' working on it - one on the roof the other chucking the sheets into a plastic lined skip. No masks, no suits, no warning signs to be seen. As I walked past one day, the tradie on the ground chucked a huge sheet into the skip and the dust cloud he became encased in was awesome. Unbelievable. New roof does look good though!! This is in the Blue Mountains and our local tip takes asbestos wrapped in plastic and just pushes it in to the rest of the landfill.
macwilsons

Asbestos

I had to remove some Asbestos recently. I ended up using a contractor to remove and dispose of it. I did some reasearch and found, in Vic, the Workcover and EPA websites useful (see attached).
Is is worth risking your health down the track, just to save a few dollars?

Purple Patch
:)

Attachments

• Asbestos in the home.doc
    32 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the help
I shall call my local council and the EPA to start with

Those builders removing the roof sounded like a couple of mugs:eek:

Greg

My step father is an old chippie and he damps it down to work with it when cutting. There are stories of oldtimers coming home covered in the asbestos dust and they are still kicking. It seems to be a hit and miss where some don't get it and some do.[/QUOTE

Sounds a bit like smoking, some people smoke for fourty years no cancer, other have got cancer from seconds hand smoke from working at a bar.

Back