Asbestos - rental considerations?

The inspector told me these houses are perfectly fine and aren't a health risk if looked after properly. As a landlord however, is there anything I need to consider? E.g. do I need to buy special insurance for this type of property? Do I need certification? Do I need to provide tenants with warnings etc?

Most insurance companies will ask whether its asbestos and you will likely pay a higher premium.
Don't have any issues renting the ones I have , not sure if the real estate agent has specified to tenant if they are asbestos but If it was a requirement Im sure they would be doing that but never heard of it myself.

No. No insurance exists AFAIK to cover exposure to asbestos fibers.

No.

About what? :confused: Don't renovate my house without asking? :)

Good point. But I guess some may try to nail picture frame hooks into the walls, although they really should ask permission for that even though it's minor.

Would it be a lot more or just a small bump?

It really depends on the build.Walls and roof of asbestos would be higher than just walls , its the roof asbestos which seems to be big bucks.

I did online quote with real insurance last few years and nominated just walls
and premium on $230,000 was $297.25 , coming up for renewal in a few months
they will send renewal out which will be higher than the online quote I do every year.

Go online and do a quote add asbestos and one without.

What's special about the roof that causes so much trouble? Is it because it's more likely to be weathered and therefore more brittle, and requires more care?

What's special about the roof that causes so much trouble? Is it because it's more likely to be weathered and therefore more brittle, and requires more care?

Its thicker so if it needs removing will cost more so insurance companies will take this into account ,also a roof is normally damaged before anything else so chances are high for
insurance claim especially when they are not as strong as a metal roof.
I don't have any with asbestos roofs but they have asked with previous quotes
over the phone.

Back