Asian Cup?!

Just to clarify i am a fan of rugby league, i also watch soccer (football) and would concede soccer is the more skillful game by far. The diving thing is making its way into league and afl too so cant use that argument for much longer.

I was at the game - I'm not a big football/soccer fan but was fortunate to score a ticket. Glad I went - awesome atmosphere and an entertaining game.

It was a brilliant result, and up there with the top Australian football moments (possibly beaten only by John Aloisi's penalty in 2015).

Funny how those who don't follow football always like to throw in their negative comments. Can we not just celebrate that an Australian sporting team has just won a MAJOR piece of international silverware?

The Asian Cup has been a huge success.

The Asian Cup has been a huge success.

Sure was - some very entertaining games.

I've been to ANZ stadium for a few sell outs for different sporting codes over the last year - and the atmosphere at the Asian cup game was insane compared to the other games I'd seen.

Cheers

Jamie

Sure was - some very entertaining games.

I've been to ANZ stadium for a few sell outs for different sporting codes over the last year - and the atmosphere at the Asian cup game was insane compared to the other games I'd seen.

Cheers

Jamie

Not only that, but the atmosphere generated at some of the less attended games was amazing. The game at Suncorp between Iran and UAE only had 13k attendance, but was noisier than most sellout crowds I've been in.

Watched the match on TV from second half onwards. Absolutely great and tense game. Koreans did really well and felt sorry for them. But there can only be one winner.

The ref was crap but it could be payback to Ben Williams for the Iran-Iraq quarter finals.

The Aussie-Asian locally have embraced it very much. It is a game that can really integrates with the migrants well to Australian sporting culture.

I would love to see more friendly rivalry matches between Australia and South Korea/Japan/China, and Iran (yes I remembered the 1997 match).

It is a shame that Aussies will not host 2022 World Cup (reality is money talks) as we would be able to host a fantastic world cup given the large number of migrants in Australia already.

It seems to me that we could well see a great rivalry develop between Australia, Japan, South Korea and China over the next decade.

When we consider how important those countries are as trading partners I think it will really be a good thing to compete regularly on the sporting field.

It will also help all of Asian soccer as well as ours to have regular high class competition.

Although the final itself wasn't a classic it was close and tense but it was great to see the Aussies win this tournament.

I totally agree, the future is looking very bright for Soccer in this country. We have quite a young team and Ange has done a great job making this transition in a reasonably short period.

Looks like our ranking has gone from about 100 to mid 50s in only a few weeks and I would expect this to continue to climb during the upcoming world cup qualifying campaign.
It's onwards and upwards from here now as there is some quite exciting talent starting to emerge.

Soccer

Hiya

My son attends one of the top private boys school in Sydney where Sat sport is compulsory and worshipped...

For winter sport, when he was in Year 7 : the split was:

75% rugby 25% soccer

By the time he finishes Yr 12 this year, the split was 50% rugby 50% soccer..

Hmmm.....

I flew over from Perth to watch it (Football), amazing experience. Up there with watching us play Holland in Brazil !

It also puts us in the confederations cup which will played in Russia 2017 just before the next WC.

I was at the game!! Wouldnt have missed it and it was great atmosphere and 80,000 people on soccer game is certainly something you dont see often in Australia!!
I usually go to derby games in Sydney and its great to see that soccer is becoming more and more popular! Never played it but love watching it

For winter sport, when he was in Year 7 : the split was:

75% rugby 25% soccer

By the time he finishes Yr 12 this year, the split was 50% rugby 50% soccer..

Hmmm.....

Thanks for sharing :)

Saw the news today that Tim Cahill moved to China Shenghua club for $10 mil a season, due to impressive performance in the game against China.

Feel happy for him. Imagine over 100 mil soccer fans in China and huge sponsorship potential. He can make a killing there...

Back