Asylum Seekers: Off Shore versus on-shore processing

Off versus On shore processing?

• Off-shore processing

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • On shore (Australia) processing

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters
You have got to be a latte drinking basket weaver to believe that girl. The reason they send minors over is because we put them straight into the community at which point they work to get the rest of the family over. It's a scam designed to pull at the heart strings of the pinko liberals.

You beat me to it. I am giving you a kudos for the guts of calling the situation as it is.

Some Australians lap up the PC, human rights talk from refugees who are quick to learn these things matter to 'Green' Australians but not in the countries where they run from. Note that after a number of years staying in Australia these ex refugees hunker and lobby for the system of government and laws they are used to and 'escaped' from.

There is always a refugee queue even if there is no number issued. When these refugees do not get enough merit points to meet the criteria standards of the few countries willing to accept refugees the wait can be long. For these 'refugees' difficult to assimmilate and integrate into the communities of migrant-accepting countries, taking the boat to hotel Australia is not a bad option.

Asian countries do not have Australia's hangup and quandary with refugees.

Re:

Hang on. She was safe from Taliban attack once she crossed the border into Pakistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan, where most fleeing Afghans seek refuge. So fleeing the Taliban is not a valid reason to enter Australian waters illegally.

So let's stop the nonsense of referring to them as asylum seekers, and call them economic refugees/opportunists.

+1000....Also to add being 12,she could bring the her family over BUT if she was 18+ she couldn't.

Hmmm i spoke to a vendor a few days ago where he's been offered 100k to marry someone overseas,then you have the snowball effect ie:family follows etc.He tells me he'll have another 10 offers by xmas but sticking to his guns not to accep,as in is own words,bringing basically criminals to australia.

He loves australia and the opportunities/life,but sees his race as dodgy opportunists.

That is just 1 example and i know of lots more.

Onshore versus offshore processing?

Onshore processing:Julias backyard.

Offshore processing:A government that has a brain.

I'm not racist nor against GENUINE refugees,the fact imo genuine refugees is minimal compared to queue jumpers and other scams.

Welcome to australia:Subsidised housing,dole,medicare etc

Australia is seen as the land of flairy flosss...

Hmmm i spoke to a vendor a few days ago where he's been offered 100k to marry someone overseas,then you have the snowball effect ie:family follows etc.He tells me he'll have another 10 offers by xmas but sticking to his guns not to accep,as in is own words,bringing basically criminals to australia.

He loves australia and the opportunities/life,but sees his race as dodgy opportunists.

That is just 1 example and i know of lots more.

Onshore versus offshore processing?

Onshore processing:Julias backyard.

Offshore processing:A government that has a brain.

I'm not racist nor against GENUINE refugees,the fact imo genuine refugees is minimal compared to queue jumpers and other scams.

I'm really glad people still use common sense on this issue, considering the propaganda that "Go Back To Where You Came From" show on SBS was. I thought when that show was running and the media couldn't get enough of it, there was no way people would see the big picture anymore to see that a majority of these "Refugees" do have other options rather than just fleeing on a boat to Australia.

I think as much as possible, we should process offshore, (primarily for the reason of the safety of the refugees).....but we need to be doing alot more in the refugee camps themselves and taking more refugees and taking them more quickly.

If people in refugee camps could see that applications were being processed quickly and that people were being moved out of the camp, they would be less likely to feel the need to get into a leaky boat.

I also think Australians are unnecessarily paranoid about asylum seekers, both in the number that we take and whether they are "really" refugees. The numbers of people we have trying to get into the country is really small, compared to European countries. We are hardly being overtaken, and I think people need to calm down and take a few deep breaths, instead of being whipped up into a panic by politicians and the media.
That is true. Rightly or wrongly though, Blacktown in Sydney and increasingly Dandenong in Melbourne and other similar areas in Perth and Brisbane are where the majority of these "refugees" that get processed end up being housed. If you focus on what these areas have in common it's that they are heavily populated (Blacktown Council being one of the biggest in the country) and also Low to Mid Socio Economic.

Many people in these areas are working class and many live tough to feed their families, pay the bills etc. When they then see in their neighbourhoods large amounts of "refugees"that are just not trying to integrate and are not only stealing from them, but committing atrocious sexual assaults etc, while never seeming to have to work, it hits them hard.

Therefore the AM Radio media focus on it, because these concerned citizens make up a large amount of the audience that listens to them, and similarly others that listen to the same stations from other areas begin to draw a picture for themselves about what is happening. It is a cycle which increases the issue in severity, at least for half the population who never witness any refugees anyway.

It is totally disproportionate the people that get subjected to this stuff. To refer to Blacktown in Sydney, a 10th of Sydney's population are seeing pretty much the total effects bringing these guys in are having everyday even when they catch the train to work. (Google: Crime at Blacktown station if you need to know why). Same goes for Islamic people in Auburn/Lakemba/Bankstown. The amount arriving may be small, but when it is so confined to a few small areas that all the white residents move out and you end up with suburbs dominated by one race it can be unnerving. With all the horror stories you hear from people that live in all these sorts of areas, you simply rightly or wrongly would never want to subject yourself to it.

Relating to that point though, it is very easy for very prosperous people in a suburb like Balmain in Sydney for example to vote for the Greens wanting to relax the borders when they themselves are well off enough to never have to live in the same places these refugees are housed. The views and attitudes from many of these people trying to dictate the Working Class with "Save the Refugees" banners everywhere while at the same time denouncing Sydney's west with many saying they have never been there and would never live there is disgusting in my view.

Given the latest twists in the public policy debate around asylum seekers, would be interested to understand what are people's thoughts about the principle of off shore versus on shore processing.

Are you for or against?

It's difficult for me to answer Buzz, I don't feel I am privy to 'enough information' about it all. I'd be voting blind. If I get time I'll study up a bit and maybe vote another day.

*snip*

Regrettably, also the land of ******** and myths promulgated by insular people with minds suitably inoculated against facts.

In the global context we simply don't have a refugee issue. Rather we have a political issue not dissimilar to the various moral panics created (largely) for political purposes in the past.

Some facts

Some more....you know...facts

Regrettably, also the land of ******** and myths promulgated by insular people with minds suitably inoculated against facts.

In the global context we simply don't have a refugee issue. Rather we have a political issue not dissimilar to the various moral panics created (largely) for political purposes in the past.

Some facts

Some more....you know...facts

And, being that land we are, we dont need your facts when we've got words like queue jumpers, job stealers and Fly Off We're Full to make up our minds.

Mate

;)

Asylum seeker facts lost in hysteria - SMH - 24 Aug 2011

Although this is not directly connected to onshore/offshore processing, the SMH had an interesting article titled - Asylum seeker facts lost in hysteria - on the subject of asylum seekers from John Menadue (former secretary of Dept of Immigration) on 24 August 2011. It's still in search archives, (sorry I can't seem to transfer it to this site).

What surprised me most was - in the past 10 years an average of 1500 asylum seekers came by boat each year. Yet there are almost 50,000 illegal over stayers in Australia at any one time...mainly from US, China and Britain in that order. -

Please read the article. It's very interesting.

annE:):):)

im a bit confused, can someone pls tell me if these illegal queue jumpers are a drain on our resources OR if they're stealing our jobs because surely it cant be both

Answer me this: you're a refugee, you and/or your family are at serious risk of being murdered or tortured or your son being taken away and forced to become a child soldier. You have no other option but to jump on a boat to try and escape. What would you do? I know what I would do in that situation. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to jump on a boat and come to Australia or well... anywhere that would take me and my family.

This is true.

But, they can't then expect to be "processed" in 5 mins - especially without any papers, and then throw tantrums and wreck the joint when they have to sit there for a lengthy spell until it is their turn/paperwork verified etc.

True; conditions aren't the Hilton, but we didn't invite them in..They should be grateful of making it to a safe place away from the carnage back home.

And I think this is the wider community thoughts on this; those who are burning the place down, going on hunger strikes etc; not good form for a supposed "refugee" who wants to stay alive and has gone to the trouble of escaping a sad life.

On that note though; I don't know what they are told when they arrive about waiting times to be processed, but if they are told nothing, or given no timeframes then it's no wonder they go beserk in there.

They should be given a very clear picture of the processes and times involved when they hit the shore, so they know exactly where they stand.

Interesting stat on Bolt yesterday. After Howard stopped the boats and sent them to Nauru - 100 boats arrived in his remaining time in office.

Since Labour rolled it back - over 1,000 boats.

Answer me this: you're a refugee, you and/or your family are at serious risk of being murdered or tortured or your son being taken away and forced to become a child soldier. You have no other option but to jump on a boat to try and escape. What would you do? I know what I would do in that situation. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to jump on a boat and come to Australia or well... anywhere that would take me and my family.

Your absolutely correct. I would, and they would. These people are seeing on TV's how we live, or being told by relos already here how good it all is.

This is exactly why developed western nations have to control and limit how many and who we let in. Open boarders or a free for all and it would all get out of control. Currently it's getting out of control.

All these fit young men coming over here on these boats? Everyone with half a brain can work out it's a scam. If they were running from something, these men wouldn't be leaving their families behind would they? Where do they get the money from to pay firstly to get to Indonesia, and then for the seat on the boat? I'll take a stab, It's coming from Australians already living here who want to get the rest of the clan over.

Then when they get residency, over comes the rest of their families. Big families. And now they have started sending kids over on their own! What a bloody disgrace!

We need to stop this scam straight away before it gets out of control. To do that there needs to be a disincentave to coming here, and that's exactly what Howard had set up before.

If we want to keep the current high standand of living we enjoy, we need to stay in control of who we let in.

See ya's.

Last edited:
im a bit confused, can someone pls tell me if these illegal queue jumpers are a drain on our resources OR if they're stealing our jobs because surely it cant be both

Both,There either on the dole with all the trimmings or working and sending money overseas to bring more queue jumpers.

Then when they get residency, over comes the rest of their families. Big families. And now they have started sending kids over on their own! What a bloody disgrace!

There was an article about that in the Herald Sun.

http://www.news.com.au/national/kid...eads-for-freedom/story-e6frfkvr-1226134416262

Here is a quote:-

"In broken English they explained there were 38 unaccompanied children, and they wanted to be moved to community housing."

They are certainly wising up on the rules and using them against us.

Given the latest twists in the public policy debate around asylum seekers, would be interested to understand what are people's thoughts about the principle of off shore versus on shore processing.

Are you for or against?
I voted onshore,the Australian Navy-Indo Navy could fix this problem but this Government will just pass the problem on,my bet is the First Aboriginal people that first saw the first boats come around Syndey Heads may have been worried also,no different from today,or you could look into what is starting to spring up in Europe again with this Man..

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refer...ders/index.html?scp=1&sq=greet wilders&st=cse

Although this is not directly connected to onshore/offshore processing, the SMH had an interesting article titled - Asylum seeker facts lost in hysteria - on the subject of asylum seekers from John Menadue (former secretary of Dept of Immigration) on 24 August 2011. It's still in search archives, (sorry I can't seem to transfer it to this site).

What surprised me most was - in the past 10 years an average of 1500 asylum seekers came by boat each year. Yet there are almost 50,000 illegal over stayers in Australia at any one time...mainly from US, China and Britain in that order. -

Please read the article. It's very interesting.

annE:):):)

Great point. There is so much hysteria - mainly from conservatives - about asylum seekers, yet they don't seem to care about the tens of thousands who overstay their visa or the tens of thousands of New Zealanders here on welfare.

What could the difference be, between those seeking asylum from Afghanistan or Sri Lanka, and those othere here illegally? Couldn't be the colour of the skin, could it? Nah, couldn't possibly be.....

What could the difference be, between those seeking asylum from Afghanistan or Sri Lanka, and those othere here illegally? Couldn't be the colour of the skin, could it? Nah, couldn't possibly be.....

Population
New Zealand 4.4m
Afghanistan 30m
Sri Lanka 20.1m
Iraq 32m

Language and Culture
Kiwis speak english and have similar culture and values, well moreso than asylum seekers.

Economic
Humanitarian and refugee migrants as a group are a net drain on our economy for at least their first 25 years. Anyone who isn't aware of this or think it is a conservative driven conspiracy needs to harden up and read the published literature, rather than blow hot air.

Culture wars
What's evil about us avoiding the issues Europe has with cultural assimilation? the greatest migrant population comes from China, and I am not aware of Chinese being over represented on welfare programs. So the twits trying to say this is a racist conservative driven issue are the racists.

The third world is third world due to third world culture and values.
People coming here who want the fruits of our culture and values should adapt to our culture. If their culture is important to them, let them migrate to a successful nation sharing their culture.

It is survival of the fittest culture guys, pure and simple. We don't need to experiment with different cultures in Australia. The experiment has already been carried out for thousands of years across the globe.

Back