attached dual occupancy on narrow block

Looking at buying a block of land with the intention of putting a two houses on.

Found a nice block of land (location and price) but the width is a bit narrow
(12.54m).

From council rules for dual occupancies i wont be able to have a detatched dual dwelling. Also other implications i have found on the coucil rules is that each dwelling requires 2 car spaces (doesnt need to be covered) and each dwelling must have a 30m2 private courtyard. Attached dwelling just needs a common wall which also includes carports (apparantly on the dcp - so maybe that could be part of private courtyard?)

Anyway has anyone ever done this before or even built a duplex on such a narrow block. If only it was 2m wider i could even fit a project duplex on there.

Btw i need to give 900mm clearance on either side but there may be allowances to get it down to 450mm, either way best to assume i can only buil on 10.74m)

penrith council
im not that interested in building one on top of another (i would be wanting to strata title them and sell one)

was thinking of building one behind another
8.5m isn that narrow for a house (giving 3m for driveway to second property)

but the fact that they have to be attached and require a 30sqm courtyard makes it interesting

If it's really tight you will need a professional to make it work. Perhaps find a local draftsman and pay a few hundred for some sketches. If they think it is possible to meet the local DCP, take the sketches to the council and have a chat with the duty planner.

Bear in mind that with narrow blocks solar access will also be on the list of problems. The driveway may be 3m wide, but it may require clearance on either side, house and fence. A design that has both garages at the front may work, but such a design may not be popular as the garages will dominate the street frontage.

sounds like fun! i love a good challenge.

just make sure that whoever you pick, understands what their design will look like translated from 2D page to 3D elevation and overall streetscape. tricky designs can look normal, super incredible or just downright

what_the_heck_is_business_logic.jpg

Back