ATTENTION Property Manger - Respond !!!!

My friend has recently had some issues with his PM firm. First his PM went on holiday when he came back to the property from a trip to sort out some issues. The temporary PM is just a sales agent and will not respond to his calls, emails or the promises of returning his call to decide if the tenant will get their bond back. My friend has had to call leaving messages with various co workers and not once has the PM responded until finally the other day after my friend got mad at a co worker and told him to get him to return the call.

Now he was meant to take a look at the situation and get back to him but again he has not. So my friend is thinking since he did not give him his email address and my friend has had to cc various co workers that he could maybe send a letter explaining from day one all the issues he has had using this service including the PM plus the temporary one (the one who is been arrogant).

He would detail all the un-returned phone calls, all the emails never responded to etc and all the other details regarding the terrible job they have done of managing the property. So he was thinking of emailing all the other agency branches in The region of the same company to make sure he gets it this time. He could also maybe BCC a copy to all the other real estate agents in the region as well from other agencies that way he would certainly be sure this PM would get the email :p and of course his attention.

Would this get him into trouble legally? Could he also write on here and other forums. blogs of all the details of the terrible service he has had, naming and shaming individuals and the agency? :eek:

Not a lawyer, but I'd imagine the agency wouldn't be impressed. I don't think sending a spam email will get him anywhere either.

Has he spoken to the director of the company? If not, try this remedy first.

If so, and it is a franchise you can try contacting head office to make an official complaint.

Other than that, take the management away and he can choose to post his bad experiences as he pleases on blogs if he really wishes, but I don't see that getting your friend anywhere in regards to the current situation.

It's also incredibly easy to find an agents email address, just go to the agents website and you'll find it there.

yes he could try contacting the director but apparently he once spoke to the owner or manager of that agency and he was also arrogant.
He DOES NOT WANT TO USE THEM AGAIN either, just wants to get this current situation sorted out or at least give the temp PM a good wakeup for messing him around.

thanks lil skating

Contacting co-workers or partner agencies is unlikely to solve your (his) problem. You need to contact the superior - in this case the director - and advise them you are cancelling your relationship effective immediately and ask for the entire file on the property. Make sure you pick it up or at least pay for postage, otherwise they will just slip a couple of sheets in a envelope and shred the rest. There should be enough information in there to pass onto a new PM.

After this move on - life is too short.

I agree, the best 'revenge' is to take away your business. Fire them immediately. Find a new agent, and they should help you with the migration of all the documents, keys etc. - you shouldn't have to lift a finger.

Also, a lesson to be learnt is to find out how many staff there are these agents. Sounds like this was one of those ones where they had one property manager with no back-up (the back-up being the sales agent). And, a director who doesn't care about property management and only sales.

Good luck! ;)

Well I think they realised they already lost the management and there is no tenant currently anyway as they screwed that up. I think my friend wants to make them realise that they can't just treat property owners as disposable and replaceable items when they mess up their job and get away with it that easy, especially not returning calls or following up to get back to him which I think is very rude and arrogant. I think a letter to the director will do little if they represents what the managers standards are like...

I think my friend wants to make them realise that they can't just treat property owners as disposable and replaceable items when they mess up their job and get away with it that easy, especially not returning calls or following up to get back to him which I think is very rude and arrogant. I think a letter to the director will do little if they represents what the managers standards are like...
Sure it might be rude or arrogant, and sure your friend might feel better if they 'made them realise they can't treat their clients like that' but seriously it sounds a little juvenile to me.
Personally I'd be getting the required outcome/action I needed and moving on.
It's not up to us to try and "teach" people/companies right from wrong...

Sure it might be rude or arrogant, and sure your friend might feel better if they 'made them realise they can't treat their clients like that' but seriously it sounds a little juvenile to me.
Personally I'd be getting the required outcome/action I needed and moving on.
It's not up to us to try and "teach" people/companies right from wrong...

so we just let them walk all over us? shouldn't we stand up for our rights? I'm just trying to think of some ideas how he can make them realise they done wrong without legal issues.

Can I ask your opinion in a more extreme example...
What if your home was trashed by the tenant and you asked your PM what is going to happen? He turns around and laughs at you and says that is very funny that you ask me, you can do whatever you like, it's not my problem, good luck hahaha ...

so we just let them walk all over us? shouldn't we stand up for our rights? I'm just trying to think of some ideas how he can make them realise they done wrong without legal issues.

What if your home was trashed by the tenant and you asked your PM what is going to happen? He turns around and laughs at you and says that is very funny that you ask me, you can do whatever you like, it's not my problem, good luck hahaha ...

Your friend (or you, the story appears to have changed) should form a view as to whether defaming someone and the likely law suit that would follow is something they could cope with.

My guess is, not so much.

Your friend (or you, the story appears to have changed) should form a view as to whether defaming someone and the likely law suit that would follow is something they could cope with.

My guess is, not so much.

No that is not true, please put on your glasses and read my post again... you will see I was giving an extreme example to get my point across. :rolleyes:

I can tell you exactly how we handled that situtaion 2 days ago.

We issued a 'notice to quit' to our tenant for nonpayment of rent.
We hade 2 applicants waiting to view, so we made arrangements and met them at the property.
We mentioned it was a 20 something male living there, and it would probably be messy inside.
The door locks had been changed without permission. Good thing the other door still worked off our key. The place was a big mess, carpets badly stained. It was when we showed the bedrooms, he had taken out load bearing walls, and had made structural damage, we immediately called the cops. They said they would do absoluely nothing, and we needed to deal with it thru residential tribunal.
That is not going to happen when they are actively damaging our property.
We immediately contacted the Director of residential Tenancies, who we deal with in our town, and asked what the procedure is to declaring it unfit for human habitation, and changing the locks.
It is as simple as "declaring it unfit" by us. Based on the info we gave, we will need to back it up in court (we already have a hearing for next Thursday). We changed all the locks. Wrote an "immediate vacate" letter to tenant, and hand delivered it to his work. Gave him a couple of hours to collect his pets and clothing.
The fun will start this week. Tenant states he is having us charged. We already know the police refuse to get involved. We asked when he is removing his furniture and belongings. He said the police informed him to do nothing until after the hearing.
At this moment we have a carpenter working on our property, replacing the load bearing walls, putting down new flooring in 3 bedrooms and loungeroom, repainting, and fixing the gaps with the windows. The mobile home had starting bending.

A PM would never do that.
An owner would.

No that is not true, please put on your glasses and read my post again... you will see I was giving an extreme example to get my point across. :rolleyes:

From "friend" to "us" in four moves would suggest a change of story methinks.

And my defamation comment related to your actual story not your wacky one. People in business who have their reputation deliberately sullied have a habit of seeking compensation for same so I woudln't recommend it.

Just a heads up.

Back