Attic Conversion

Hi There,

I have an IP that Im wondering if I can do an attic conversion into a bedroom and ensuite. I only have 2m from the joists to the apex, the total floor space is 7mx7m before I put the walls up, however the ceiling height in the 1st floor is 2.9m,
My question is would it be feasible to lower the 1st floor ceiling height to 2.4m and thus gaining .5m to add onto the attic height to make it 2.5m?
Would the finished attic height comply? What are the repercussions if I complete the work without approval and it does not comply?
I would like to do this and then sell it, can I sell it as an extra bedroom or could It only be sold as attic storage space if not certified?
A lot of questions I know, any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Dean

While I can't answer a lot of your questions, I recall some time ago now looking at a house for sale that had an attic conversion. There was a rather large room upstairs that was obviously used as a bedroom, but I was told that it was not a bedroom. It had been approved only as an observatory as it was not the legal height for a bedroom.

So....maybe you could do the same thing depending on your Council.

Well to be a 'bedroom' you have to comply with height requirements and you need windows...otherwise it's just storage

Isn't that what I said? It has to be the legal height.

Have a chat with the Council. They will let you know what you can & can't do.

Yes I plan to put a roof window on the back side, stairs and all, basically everything would be to the building code standard for an attic conversion bar the roof height. So I believe council will knock the conversion application back but I want to do it anyway.
What dramas could unfold if I just did it anyway?

Yes I plan to put a roof window on the back side, stairs and all, basically everything would be to the building code standard for an attic conversion bar the roof height. So I believe council will knock the conversion application back but I want to do it anyway.
What dramas could unfold if I just did it anyway?

Check first with Council what the legal height is, then find out what rooms you can have with the height you have, like the observatory in my example. You might be allowed to legally have an office/study, a living area, a storage facility etc. So long as you call the room the right name when you apply for approval (and it fits the criteria for the name you called it) you should get it through Council.

If you then follow this through when it's time to sell, and let potential purchasers know that it's not a bedroom (if it doesn't comply as a bedroom), then you have done nothing wrong. It is up to the new owners discretion what they use the space for.

I think I'd be looking at what the requirements are for a study, as many people look at a study as a possible extra bedroom, and it is feasible that you may want bathroom facilities close to a study if you spend a lot of time in there.:D

Back