R50 3x3 in Highgate - Plans

Hi All
Can anyone offer some helpful suggestions on maximsing cap growth and rental yield for these plans for a 3x3 double storey townhouse in Highgate?
Are there any other ways to maximise space or cheaply add value ?

The plans were drawn up by Aaron Sice. Thanks Aaron.

some thoughts
1)31c ceilings for both floors to maximise the view to the city and for resale value.?
2)Is it possible to add an attic at top for storage? (question for Aaron)
3)Face both 2nd floor bedrooms together with balcony’s facing the city (for city views). City view is South West (towards top of page)
4)Would a modern fireplace add much value?
5)Would you sacrifice bedroom space to include double basin vanity's?

The long garage on the parapet wall is needed for the existing front house.

Attachments

• Siano_1.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 128
  • Siano_2.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Siano_3.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 121
  • Siano_4.pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 152
hi Tano,

1) GF ceiling ht is 31c and upper floor is 2.7m (just over 31c) because of timb framing.
2) possible but currently has a flat roof so would have to create a pitched roof in order to provide storage inside. if that were the case, we would do a loft study as well - but height policy would start to come into play.
3) i put a balcony facing over the city but admittedly there's no window over looking the laneway - maybe i should put that in, huh? d'oh! you can still see the city from the angle, so the bed on the other side will still work well. i also wanted at least 2 of the bedrooms with balcony access - hence why it is where it is.
4) not sure - where would you like it? upper floor?
5) no - never. too much emphasis on washing and not enough on living.

Thanks Aaron. I noted your points and i will evaluate if a fireplace will add that wow factor that will allow us to squeeze a bit more rent and cap growth

2 car garage + store for the existing heritage home.

2 car carport for the new home.

all access required from Phelps Lane.

grouped dwellings allow for overhangs like this if the intent is obvious - build strata only, though.

I like it - will work well as a shared house or family house or office down the ground floor and living above.

A fireplace with tv above would look nice in the living area but is something to worry about down the track.

Did you guys think about having the living where the laneway bedroom is so that it gets more light (and views if you put in more windows to the laneway)and putting the bedroom between the 2 balconies. Kitchen would run parallel to next door neighbour boundary.

living room gets views from the balcony.

as a 3x3 i looked to separate the bedrooms and put the living room in between them.

i also wanted the living area to benefit from north sun penetration AND city views - this is why i went with the double balcony. combine the north light withe south light and morning sun and it's going to have excellent crossflow ventilation and maximum light penetration.

we now have a 3x3 with 3 distinctive outdoor living areas and a main living area in between them all. i shouldn't need to spell the words s-t-u-d-e-n-t or s-i-n-g-l-e-s out for this particular development.

the 1 bedrom that doesn't get access to outdoor living has city views.

Client indicated they were happy with the plans today, so it's ready to go to council. I was all geared up for the DAC and then realised it's only a group housing application!

Attached for reference - I really like this one.

Attachments

• 391Lord_Revision C.pdf
    750.2 KB · Views: 96
Great work Aaron especially with the space restrictions. I love the design. I have kept out of the last few revisions since I was starting to be a third wheel. Living area is nice and open, laundry Is neat and balconies are a good size.

Why no need for a DAC meeting?

Great work Aaron especially with the space restrictions. I love the design. I have kept out of the last few revisions since I was starting to be a third wheel. Living area is nice and open, laundry Is neat and balconies are a good size.

Why no need for a DAC meeting?

look it might still get referred, but it would need to be triggered by something pretty decent.

it's not a landmark site, it's not a landmark development and we're not changing the use so I don't see why it would go.

not sure what you mean by 'third wheel' - all comments were welcome. I like collaborative design......ask Myf. :p

You had one idea. My dad has another and I was going off in a tangent

I assumed 2 basin sinks were needed and convinced my dad then I found out people really put in 2 basin sinks for the master bedroom in large houses. It was too late to change his mind back since I now I would have preferred larger showers (original design) . But then dad makes a good point that double vanity will allow more storage space. So I dont know what to do so I will sit this one out.

Vincent spent a month deciding how to approve it - build or survey.

One meeting with Rasa explained it could be either, but build was the likely option.

3 days later approval in mail.

*sigh*

Attachments

• Vincent Approval..pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
Back