AUD Mortgage

I currently own outright a property in London and I am looking to buy another property of equivalent value. To buy the new property I will require a mortgage and will use the existing property as additional security so my LVR will be approximately 50%.

I have found several banks in London and overseas who will loan me the funds to do this. However, the banks will loan me GBP£. Given that I earn AUD$ and the AUD$ is strong at the moment I would like to finance the loan in AUD$.

I have asked the banks about foreign currency and they have indicated that they do offer these products in various currencies ie. YEN, EURO, USD$... but will not offer the product in AUD$ to Australian Residents (citizens or otherwise) only Non-residents of Australia may borrow in AUD$. One Bank mentioned the Australian Corporation Act prevents foreign Banks from lending to Australian Residents in AUD$.

Does anyone know if it is possible to borrow AUD$ from overseas and how to do it?

Hi,

In a similar situation to yourself.

I dont know of any that will lend to you AUD. But, if you are after a strong currency, why dont you borrow in CHF?

Im curious though, I thought the UK banks would only lend to UK residents? Thats what my mortgage broker told me!!! And all the banks I have mortgages with pretty much said the same thing! So curious how you are managing it.. As Im looking to invest again over there...

Cheers

Foreign banks cannot lend to borrowers who reside in Australia for Australian property. While Australian lenders cannot lend in any currency against overseas security.

NOTE: for the purposes above ANZ Singapore and CBA HK are foreign banks. If you have substantial assets ($2mill) then CBA HK could be an option for you.

You could try HSBC who may be able to originate in UK and shuffle the FX no point chasing Australian lenders.

The UK banks will lend to foreign residents with an LVR of 60% and I am using a mortgage broker to facilitate this. I also have dual citizenship so this may be helping my case.

I am also looking to invest in the UK again but with all my equity tied up need to take out a mortgage. I don't want to take a mortgage in GBP£ as it is weak now. An AUD mortgage would allow me to gain (or potentially loose) on any significant currency movement and is hedged given that my salary is in AUD.

I am thinking about CHF or other similar strong currency but this introduces another element of risk.

I have the required assets and have tried ANZ / NAB Singapore, CBA HK, but again hit a wall with foreign banks not wanting / not allowed to lend AUD to Australian residents.

Back