Aussievaluer vs Homepriceguide for 2775

I have been researching postcode 2775 and using both the free online property data sites I know of (home price guide and aussie valuer), I get way different results. I really don't think it is differences in dates, median or mean, houses or units etc that could cause this. All the other postcodes I have looked up have had prices in the same ballpark. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Neither site gives the number of houses/units contained in their numbers. I know I could get to the bottom of this by buying the complete data for the suburb but was hoping I could work this out without doing this - it makes a difference to whether I might be interested in the area or not.

thanks all
ellie

Hi ellie

The source data is one and the same - The valuer generals Stamp duty data base.

If you are getting way diff results then its due to the way the data is being played with.

For my money I find the most scientifically based methods and approaches are from the Residex stable. DO I sell the stuff, no, do I use it - yes - daily.

Like with all numbers, its only one tool in the toolbox, often the numbers can mean absolutely nothing.

ta

rolf

G'day Ellie,

I've used AussieValuer for some years. It has good features that others don't (yield for area, and 5 years of data).

BUT, I can tell you that the last time Aussievaluer figures were updated was early Sept 03, while HPG is updated monthly !!!

Thus (without looking) I would guess that AV would be showing a lower figure than HPG. By the way, the Aussie site states that "prices are valid as at time of your request" - or some such words, but, at the same time, they state "figures are updated Quarterly (i.e. every 3 months!!!) - which seems to me to contradict the earlier statement !!!

Add to that, if they WERE updated quarterly, then I should have seen updated figures around the beginning of Dec 03 - I'm STILL waiting !!!

Hope that helps,

Regards,

G'day Rolf - just noted your reply. In a "cut-and-paste" from Aussie Valuer, it says "The service is provided by Residex, an independent organisation!" But it seems to be "doctored" in its presentation (and its timeliness) by Aussie themselves...

Back