Australia facing a recession in 2014? Economist says RBA needs rates cut of 1.25%!

Yet unemployment remains low at 5.2%, participation rate largely unchanged as per the Labour Force stats today.

This is a good result no denying the fact...but if you look broader the RBA has cut rates 175bps (from 4.75 to 3%) at the same time headline unemployment has gone up from 5% to 5.2%

I think the next 6 months will be telling.

This is a good result no denying the fact...but if you look broader the RBA has cut rates 175bps (from 4.75 to 3%) at the same time headline unemployment has gone up from 5% to 5.2%

Which probably means the interest rate reductions at least to this stage (i'll ignore cash rate because the actual rates in the market have fallen much less than that) are doing what they are supposed to. With more room if things do go worse.

Yes, agree next few months will be interesting.

I have no faith in the employment rate measure.

We run a small business. For 4 of our 5 last employees we got gov subsidy of between 50% to 90% of their entire wage for 6 months plus uniform. These don't show up in the books but we are essentially getting staff for very little.

Also the participation rate go up and down.

In the end, even if people have job, if they are nervous of having no job, they will not spend. Even my Gen Y staff are nervous re the economy for the first time ever. In 2009 they said "yea, we got a bonus of $1000" this time they are very concerned about the economy.

FYI I could be wrong Peter

The official unemployment rate is a government scam.People have given up looking for work. How many might work for 1 day a week yet classified as employed.Cant register as they have been retrenched and cant apply to centrelink until they have less assets etc
Shorten,Swan,Gillard are all full of spin when they boast about 5.2% unemployment rate.

The official unemployment rate is a government scam.People have given up looking for work. How many might work for 1 day a week yet classified as employed.Cant register as they have been retrenched and cant apply to centrelink until they have less assets etc
Shorten,Swan,Gillard are all full of spin when they boast about 5.2% unemployment rate.

That's been the definition for years now. Nothing has changed. Why all of a sudden challenge the veracity of the definition now?

We didn't have the same rancour when unemployment rate got to low 4's under the previous government.

You are mixing your reaction of your opinion of the current government, with the ABS collection of data, which is independent the current government irrespective of its colour.

But don't let it colour all responses on matters relating to rationale debate on public policy.
Thanks for that,but these days it's not all black and white anymore,there is also the grey area that not many see,,in a free country one can think the way they want ,with the chain of fast buck visionaries thinking they have it right..

we have all become very comfortable with the dollar as it is. any significant drop and you wil see real pain across the board

nonsense, Most people are very uncomfortable with a high dollar if they arent they should be. It doesnt matter how cheap something is if you dont have money to pay for it. People wages arent distibuted from a magical never emptying bucket of money. Nor are dole payments and other services

That's around 27% of the countries population now in recession...

http://www.switzer.com.au/your-money/loans/good-on-ya-gilly/

Further more:
But Victoria will be left behind, facing level growth for at least the next three years, says BIS Shrapnel, which forecasts vacancy rates will rise in the next year due to a big influx of residential developments currently in the pipeline coming online.

Zigomanis says Victoria could experience falls in capital growth for the next two to three years, and if housing picks up in the other states, as it is forecast to do, the RBA could raise interest rates again by 2015, which would nip Victoria's possible recovery in the bud. In that case, a recovery in the Victorian housing market could be five years off.

The firm is equally bearish on the Victorian economy as a whole, saying unemployment could rise to over 6.5% in the next few years.

"I don't think people realise how bad it's going to be in Victoria," says BIS Shrapnel chief economist Frank Gelber.

But at least Victorians be glad they are not living across the Bass Strait.

"Tasmania's a basket case," says Zigomanis.
And if your in Tassie....your screwed

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/r.../2012120658324

currency wars

nonsense, Most people are very uncomfortable with a high dollar if they arent they should be. It doesnt matter how cheap something is if you dont have money to pay for it. People wages arent distibuted from a magical never emptying bucket of money. Nor are dole payments and other services

after reading Rickards 'Currency Wars', it seems to be like this: the major countries / zones (US, UK, CHina, Europe) are trying to devalue their currencies. This makes their exports cheaper but it becomes a battle to the bottom.

If we tried to do this here in Oz, with some of our biggest exports being mining related (eg iron ore etc -please correct me if I am wrong), would a weaker dollar equal a weaker commodities / export price?

If this is so, we saw with the dip of a few months ago the havoc this plays with our biggest sector (mining).

Therefore, a strong dollar and subsequent expensive but in demand exports are protecting us from the nastiness of the current currency war.

god, the Vic vs NSW debate never ends - even who has more weight to drag an economy DOWN....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Well in reality Western Australia holds that card at the moment ;)

In the Q3 results for state final demand (seasonally adjusted) it was only WA & NSW positive (and NSW only by a fraction):

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/meisubs.nsf/0/67778B95238F0699CA257ACA000FDE33/$File/52060_sep%202012.pdf

Iron ore has stabilised in price for now, so maybe WA can help stave off a national recession for a little longer, but things are definitely not looking too crash hot for the rest of us...

This summary from NAB Business Survey:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2012/12/nab-survey-smokes-economy/
The brakes have firmly tightened on activity in November; business conditions very weak in construction, retail, manufacturing and wholesale. Signs of trouble ahead with confidence slumping to lowest level since April 2009, with little hint of a pre-Christmas revival. Activity forecasts broadly unchanged following release of Q3 GDP. Weakness continues into Q4 – path for interest rates now appears even lower, with one more rate cut likely before the middle of next year.

Back