Australian accountant for NZ property

Hello
Apologies if this has been asked recently but I haven't been able to find it through the search. I have a small number of NZ rental properties and am looking for a recommendation for an Australian tax accountant with experience of NZ investment. I've just been submitting tax returns through an agent but wonder if I should be structuring differently.
many thanks in advance

I just use an accountant in nz for all my nz affairs. I then give my nz tax return to my aus accountant since we have a double tax aggreement between nz and aus.

Can you do:this?

Cheers

Thanks so much for your reply. Must admit I thought that declaring in Aus was sufficient and have just been submitting tax returns here through a local tax agent. Now getting my affairs in order (oops). I've found an NZ property/ tax accountant and he will do the retrospective returns. I just need to find a tax account in Aus now as I could probably do with some advise re structuring.

Thanks so much for your reply. Must admit I thought that declaring in Aus was sufficient and have just been submitting tax returns here through a local tax agent. Now getting my affairs in order (oops). I've found an NZ property/ tax accountant and he will do the retrospective returns. I just need to find a tax account in Aus now as I could probably do with some advise re structuring.

If you are earning $$ in nz you should be submiting a tax return in nz and paying tax on any income and this will be taken into account in your aus return so you dont pay tax twice. any losses can be offset against your aus income.

Cheers

Yep, I've spoken to an NZ accountant so getting the paperwork for that all sorted now. I've just been using to google to identify a tax accountant here to discuss structuring as just as with the NZ tax returns I'm probably missing something with our structuring.

Back