australian efficiency

hi all,

i'm an efficiency expert and project mgr by trade. i look at ways for processes and projects to be more efficient. i look at process flows etc and analyse spreadsheets and project plans and do my best to make things better. its my trade and i take this trade to everything i do....anyway, i've had a recent experience which just gives me more reason to be critical of australian industry/business in general.

i recently ordered an electronic product online from china and was impressed how the order was progressing. i was sent a link to a DHL summary which tracked my shipment. all was going extremely well and i was happy as i ordered the product on wed 9th june and within 2 days, it had been packaged in shenzen, sent to HK and then arrival in sydney on friday 11th june. i thought that was amazing.

But - it got delivered to canberra on monday 14th so for some reason, this package spent the weekend in sydney (i hope it had a good time). so it arrived in canberra on monday 14th, got scanned and sat in the depot until wednesday 16th. i ring dhl on the morning of wed 16th and enquired as to why my package has sat in the canberra depot for 2 days and not delivered to me. dhl told that they outsourced canberra deliveries to a 3rd party and they will get in contact with them and find out what the delay is and ring me back. that was at 10am wed morning.

no call, so i rang dhl back at 4.30 wed. they gave me the number of the 3rd party courier. i rang them. told them the story and they said they'd checkk. so they put me on hold and i lost the connection. i rang back again, got a different person so i told them the story again, they put me on hold again and went off to check. they came back about 3 minutes later and said the package was in their warehouse and will be delivered tomororw (thursday).

i asked them they they got it on monday and why didn't i get it on tuesday. they said monday was a public holiday. so then why didn't i get it on tuesday or wednesday. they didn't know and couldn;t explain the delay.

so they said they'd deliver to me today (thursday). i asked them what time they said about 1pm and i'd need to be there to sign for it. i said i could'nt be there and they said i could give them confirmation to leave it at the door. i said no because it is an apartment and someone would nick it. they then said that i could pick it up at the depot. i said that i paid $30 to have it delivered, then they said for them to deliver it, that i'd have to be there to sign for it - and they wouldn;t deliver to my PO box

i said bugger it, i'll go to the depot to pick it up this afternoon in hume (on the outskirts of Canberra).

so they got it on monday. here it is thursday, and i have to go there to pick it up even though i've paid to have it delivered to the door.

still beats me why it has taken them 4 days from them getting it. considering that in 2 days it got sent from china to hk and then to syd. then bogged down in the canberra depot for 4 days.

gives me a bad taste of austrailan efficiency. no wonder the ch market is booming and we are stagnating.

g

Hi,

Sounds about right to me, tho usually it would be a "coupla days"

That is why the rich,soft, cushy western world is bludging its way into the poor house while the working eastern world will take over the wealth of the world by 2050.

Then they will get fat and lazy and us poor westerners will work our butts of, through necessity, and by 2100 it will be our turn again, I hope.

Last edited:
I think this is an interest side effect of high employment. When any retard can get a low or semi skilled job, lots do. And we deal with them every day. Employers can't really afford to be picky any more about who they hire. Hell, even in the high end IT industry we are finding this.

I had the same thing with one of mine. Out of Hong Kong & here in 3 or 4 days, then sat at some Melbourne depo for 5 days. Two days after that 5 , it finally arrives at my place .
It's so Australian , only a handful of people , yet more fuss than a granny's picnic but at the end of the day just totally full of bs.

Back