Horse racing "investment"

I think I was just insulted.
I got sent a prospectus for a software program that will make me $50000 a year by betting on the horses.
The guy rang to follow up and when I said I wasn't interested I got the following gems thrown at me:
"You don't want to make money"
"you don't understand about investing"
" You mustn't have read it properly" and my favourite
"Only a crazy person wouldn't take this opportunity"
So I told him I was crazy :D

If I made a program that made money betting on horses, I'd keep it myself because other people betting on the SAME horses will reduce the odds and make me less money.

How much were they asking to buy it?

I got sent a prospectus for a software program that will make me $50000 a year by betting on the horses.
The guy rang to follow up and when I said I wasn't interested I got the following gems thrown at me:

I crossed this a few years ago with Tomato technologies based down the Coast. "Black Box" software to give you the winners".
Steer clear IMHO. I suppose Larry needs the money to pay for his helicopters or childsupport with his 7 kids to 8 mothers type thing.

From what I'm told there is about three people that run these systems one based in Noosa with a house like a medieval fortress on the hill that faces the main beach at Noosa,i think the start-up money is 15k,there are a few on the strip on the GoldCoast,..

BTW,dont feel too bad about fast buck psychology gedankenlautwerden mind players ,iv'e sat through many a "Guru" and when iv'e asked one simple question,, they have pointed to me and said,you don't want to be rich do you,all I would say is ,I'm already am I only came because it was free food and drinks and to see if it true what everybody was saying about your wife,then just walk out,soap box speakers never employ bouncers
because they have a line for every question until you hit them with a simple one liner that blow them out of the water..

Ask them why they are working in tele-sales instead of making 50k by running the program themselves, of possibly multiples of 50k by running multiple accounts of the program.

These things have been marketed for 10-15 years now, same as usual, based up on the GC as willair mentions.

I had someone call me about a horse racing syndicate in Hong Kong, and how it couldn't possibly lose.

I still said no thanks, and the guy (pretended he) couldn't believe I didn't want a slice of the action.

I think they cold called me ages ago about an investment portfolio and could they send it out for me to look over.
I suspected it was horses but thought what the heck.
It came, I chucked it, they called, I messed with him a bit then he got upset.:rolleyes:

about 15 years ago, when I was a bit more impressionable, I got one of these letters and arranged for one of them to call me,

after the quick sales talk, they even had a live trial on the phone with me, which was pretty impressive the fact that they were doing a live trial.

basically, they chose 1 or 3 horses( cant remember) using their software,

and I think out of 3 races, they picked 2, it may have been a bet on each horse for a place .

I was quite impressed, but naturally the first thought that came to my mind was as above said "if its so damn good, why are you even bothering to call me"

I actually got a free flight to the GC and a free lunch about 20 years ago, from one of these guys.

I think they were just getting going and hadn't worked out they were giving away to much looking for the mugs.

They ended up getting busted by the cops for fraud about 5 years later.

Their method was to back every horse in a race, it is actually quite surprising how often you profit by backing every horse in a race. The problem is that most upsets occur in races with low dividend pools and when people back every horse they flatten out the dividends. This means that the favourite backers get a good deal and the field punters have s++t in their own nest.

Back