Australian "service" up the clacker

Not sure whether I expect to much - but I am finding Australian business service is pathetic.

Asides from having to deal with two hopeless telcos and electricity providers recently - and ongoing problems with lack of service and communication from manufacturers that I am relying on for my flegling business - I am stunned by the loser service from a franchise of a nationwide spec building company.

We'd spent over 2 months searching online/onsite trying to find a spec home to suit what we want on our 10 acres ... and being disappointed by many of the builders refusing to make anything but minimal changes ... we finally found a house that was near perfect.

Rang the website phone number. Told the builder we were ready to build, love the plan, cashed up, site survey/levels done and wanted to get started ... advised by the builder that he was in the process of setting up the new office so he would ring me the following week to arrange appointment/quote.

Following week - no call.

I rang builder to be told that there had been some office supplier problems, they were still setting up and he would send me some information by the end of that week about our preferred house. We made appointment to discuss our plan/site the following Tuesday.

Week passed with no info.

Received txt on Tuesday morning cancelling appointment - with no rescheduling. When I was taken aback at treatment so far, builder asked I email through the changes I was after, the finish I was after and he'd do me up a quote over the weekend.

Weekend passed with no quote or acknowledgement of receiving my email.

All through this I was telling hubby "no, they'll be right - they promised they'd do xxx - just give them another week".

After over three weeks since I first spoke to the builder - with many broken promises - I rang today to see what was going on. Builder was annoyed. claming he had been too busy setting up the office. When I asked if he wanted my business, he was "oh yes".

Then I asked why he hadn't sent me anything that he promised over the last three weeks - and why hadn't he rescheduled the broken appointment - and asked where was my quote, he got all huffy, complaining he had been trying to get the office setup ... then he hung up mid sentence.

Well ... considering I run a family/house/business as well as investments and renovations and block clearing and trying to get a house built and mum's taxi etc, I think I know a bit about doing a dozen things at once (hmmm - today I did 4 loads of washing, cleaned/vacuumed/bathroomed the house, washed the dog, mucked the horse stable, horse riding lessons, 2 hour trip to look at a spec home, cooked a roast dinner, change beds and entertained kids on school hols).

I am sorry but what is more important - having a pretty office, or taking an hour with a client to chat about a half mil $$ build?!

I would even have been happy with builder just ringing to keep me up to date rather than silence and myself having to do the chasing.

They lost my business - and got a very poor blog on productreview website.

And what makes me angry is they wasted nearly 4 weeks of my time (could've nearly been building with another company by now), I backed them when hubby was ready to bail and I trusted then to fullfill their promises ...

Doing business in Australia makes me so frustrated.

Last edited:
I agree. There is no service culture in this country. From the receptionist/telephonist up to accounts up to middle management, I often receive obstructive attitudes. There is no sense that they are trying to help the customer and what is promised is usually not delivered. This is why Australian businesses are often uncompetitive on the world stage. A cultural change needs to happen.

Not sure whether I expect to much - but I am finding Australian business service is pathetic.

Asides from having to deal with two hopeless telcos and electricity providers recently - and ongoing problems with lack of service and communication from manufacturers that I am relying on for my flegling business - I am stunned by the loser service from a franchise of a nationwide spec building company.

We'd spent over 2 months searching online/onsite trying to find a spec home to suit what we want on our 10 acres ... and being disappointed by many of the builders refusing to make anything but minimal changes ... we finally found a house that was near perfect.

Rang the website phone number. Told the builder we were ready to build, love the plan, cashed up, site survey/levels done and wanted to get started ... advised by the builder that he was in the process of setting up the new office so he would ring me the following week to arrange appointment/quote.

Following week - no call.

I rang builder to be told that there had been some office supplier problems, they were still setting up and he would send me some information by the end of that week about our preferred house. We made appointment to discuss our plan/site the following Tuesday.

Week passed with no info.

Received txt on Tuesday morning cancelling appointment - with no rescheduling. When I got a big taken aback, builder asked I email through the changes I was after, the finish I was after and he'd do me up a quote over the weekend.

Weekend passed with no quote or acknowledgement of receiving my email.

All through this I was telling hubby "no, they'll be right - they promised they'd do xxx - just give them another week".

After over three weeks since I first spoke to the builder - with many broken promises - I rang today to see what was going on. Builder was annoyed. claming he had been too busy setting up the office. When I asked if he wanted my business, he was "oh yes".

Then I asked why he hadn't sent me anything that he promised over the last three weeks - and why hadn't he rescheduled the broken appointment - and asked where was my quote, he got all huffy, complaining he had been doing 3 things at once trying to get the office setup ... then hung up mid sentence.

Well ... considering I run a family/house/business as well as investments and renovations and block clearing and trying to get a house built and mum's taxi etc, I think I know a bit about doing a dozen things at once (hmmm - today I did 4 loads of washing, cleaned/vacuumed/bathroomed the house, washed the dog, mucked the horse stable, horse riding lessons, 2 hour trip to look at a spec home, cooked a roast dinner, change beds and entertained kids on school hols).

I am sorry but what is more important - having a pretty office, or taking an hour with a client to chat about a half mil $$ build?!

I would even have been happy with builder just ringing to keep me up to date rather than silence and myself having to do the chasing.

They lost my business - and got a very poor blog on productreview website.

And what makes me angry is they wasted nearly 4 weeks of my time (could've nearly been building with another company by now), I backed them when hubby was ready to bail and I trusted then to fullfill their promises ...

Doing business in Australia makes me so frustrated.

I love these Aussie whinge threads :D

Maybe it's time to move offshore.

On this one ...I agree with you and Lizzie.......

The level of self importance and rudeness is astounding. Particularly in big business...so know I tend to be very direct and at times terse in my business delaing. It unfortunately seems to work in most instances...it is pretty sad when you have to use bullying behaviour to get simple things.:mad:

The Big 4 banks are the worst....the only way they respond is when you have them in legal bind or when their reputation is going to be demolished on the internet.

Australians complain about business practices of other countries when they should look in their own back yard!

The number of times I used a strongly worded legalese to get compliance with Big business.

Also...I am of the belief that receptionist are most important people in an organisation... get a rude one at the damage done to a business is too much. I would fire people like this quickly!

The cultural change is coming....we have become a fat dumb and happy country...it is a matter of time that our arrogance and self importance will sink us. With Asia on our doorstep....we better watch out.

I agree. There is no service culture in this country. From the receptionist/telephonist up to accounts up to middle management, I often receive obstructive attitudes. There is no sense that they are trying to help the customer and what is promised is usually not delivered. This is why Australian businesses are often uncompetitive on the world stage. A cultural change needs to happen.

What I find so frustrating is, as a business person - and a person dealing in business, I bend over backwards to fullfill any assurances I make - or give plenty of warning if something is not going to happen as planned and make alternative arrangements.

I trust, give benefit of doubt, am always polite (until they really peeve me off with arrogance and rudeness), have personal integrity, am polite as possible and expect to be treated the same.

Unfortunately I appear to be in a minority.

What I find so frustrating is, as a business person - and a person dealing in business, I bend over backwards to fullfill any assurances I make - or give plenty of warning if something is not going to happen as planned and make alternative arrangements.

I trust, give benefit of doubt, am always polite (until they really peeve me off with arrogance and rudeness), have personal integrity, am polite as possible and expect to be treated the same.

Unfortunately I appear to be in a minority.

You are obviously still young. A few more years and ypu'll be as cynical as the rest of us.

I've had 2 vastly different experiences in the past week. I made complaints to KanTong about how awful their black bean sauce mix tasted, and I made a complaint to the M2 about the new noise barriers which are fluro orange and instead of seeing bushland behind us, we now see this revolting orange colour.

I made the complaint to KanTong on line in the evening. Around 10am the next morning, a customer service person rang, took some details and apologised for situation and said they would send some replacement products. Well, I have to confess that the products havent arrived yet, but I was very impressed at how quickly they followed up and how they dealt with the complaint. So, there are some companies that have good service!!!

I emailed M2 also in the evening. A few days later I received the following email. I couldnt even understand what it was saying. But it made me laugh when they said the orange was inspired by gum trees....... it looks more like a hi-vis jacket that the road workers wear!!. I guess they did respond relatively quickly.

Thank you for your email regarding the Hills M2 Upgrade.

The project is bound to commission noise mitigation in accordance with the project’s Environmental Assessment (EA), which has been approved by the Minister for Planning. Noise mitigation is determined on the basis of the requirements and processes as detailed in the EPA's Environmental Criteria for Road Traffic Noise (ECRTN) and the Roads and Maritime Service (RMS formerly RTA) Environmental Noise Management Manual (ENMM).

Generally modifications to new or existing noise walls are introduced where physical widening is undertaken as part of the Hills M2 Upgrade. However, in all sensitive receiver locations, where the operational noise criteria set out for the Hills M2 Upgrade is predicted to exceed, new noise walls have been considered where three or more affected dwellings are situated within the catchment area. In regard to this location, construction of a new noise wall was not considered reasonable or cost effective, and therefore architectural treatment for affected dwellings is being considered.

The installation of a new low noise road pavement for the entire length of the motorway (including improved maintenance procedures to limit the cracking of the road surface) will provide traffic noise reducing benefits. This will be installed in the first half of 2013. Furthermore, a Heavy Vehicle Compression Braking Strategy has been prepared by RMS and is currently under review by the NSW Department of Planning. The strategy aims minimise the occurrence of compression braking along the Hills M2 Motorway corridor when the upgrade is complete and fully operational.

Once the upgrade is operational, an Operational Noise Monitoring Report will be prepared that will compare actual noise levels against the predicted noise levels used to define noise mitigation measures. If the actual monitored noise levels exceed the predictions by a significant level, further noise mitigation measures may be required as per condition 3.2 of the Minister's Conditions of Approval for the Hills M2 Upgrade project.

The colour of the noise wall you are referring to is Dulux "ISO" and is incorporated into the project's approved Urban Design and Landscape Management Plan (UDLMP). The deep orange is an interpretive colour that is primarily influenced by the changing seasons and colour of local Eucalypts in Spring and early Summer. I have attached an extract from the UDLMP which references this design. The full UDLMP is available on the project website www.hillsm2upgrade.com.au.

If you have any further enquiries in the meantime, please feel free to call us on 1800 196 266 (select option 2).

in which countries do you guys find all this superior service? my experience in places like the UK, europe, US etc has been truly dreadful in comparison

Well, don't expect any improvement in the USA.... shonky business is a way of life over here :( No legal contract = you get nothing & we will rip into you for anything we can extract. Even with a contract, you better know your legal rights (or lack thereof) because you will be exploited every step of the way.

Australia is no different to most other countries & is probably one of the better regulated across the board.

As for cost though.... AHHHHHHH... Australia is one of the pacesetters in overinflated prices.

in which countries do you guys find all this superior service? my experience in places like the UK, europe, US etc has been truly dreadful in comparison

Better service in general in Asia. Singapore, HK, China, Japan the service was just fabulous. Bali, thailand... Good at the tourist traps ...so so outside that but not rude like aus.

US general customer service in retail outlets, hotels and restaraunts was pretty good to. (maybe tips help :) )

As tradies ...we are finding the opposite service culture now in that people don't expect service from tradies , so often when the boys go to do a quote or a job the people are just not there. A phone call often results in a "I am at shopping -dropping kids off - etc I didn't think you be there yet" Frustrating and makes it challenging to control time management.

GOOD service ....(turning up on time for quotes) has got us a lot of business though as we get told we were the only ones who turned up on time or even at all.

Another whinge thread!

Why did you persist so long Lizzie? I would have moved on much earlier. It was obvious he wasn't interested. His reasons don't matter.

And if he did eventually say he was interested his behaviour was a big red flag at what your future business with him might be like. Run away Early!

I think half the problem is you persisted so long.

I persisted for so long because I believe people when they say they are going to do something ... and it was a plan we really like (after so long searching).

Might just have to jig it up enough to avoid copywrite and take to a custom builder.

I understand that most western countries are no better (although northern Europe is pretty good) - and that customer are often no better (ie, not being there as arranged for quotes).

It's a sad state of affairs in society ... very little consideration or respect or honour or integrity ... on all sides. Very much a dog eat dog.

Not so much a whinge - but a disappointment

After a long time investing and in business you'll learn to move on quickly. the initial reactions are important and no one wants to waste time.

I persisted for so long because I believe people when they say they are going to do something ... and it was a plan we really like (after so long searching).

Might just have to jig it up enough to avoid copywrite and take to a custom builder.

I understand that most western countries are no better (although northern Europe is pretty good) - and that customer are often no better (ie, not being there as arranged for quotes).

It's a sad state of affairs in society ... very little consideration or respect or honour or integrity ... on all sides. Very much a dog eat dog.

And unfortunately the quality of employees these days is not helping.

Recently advertised a role, interviewed, made an offer and was accepted. Start date yesterday. 9am came and went, rang up, "oh i accepted another role". Zero thought and consideration. Must be a Gen Y thing.

I don't know i think we have excellent service in Australia,only yesterday a kind Lady from miro#### rang from India but said she was in Brisbane to help me with a problem i never knew i had, with my laptop,..

Last edited:
And unfortunately the quality of employees these days is not helping.

Recently advertised a role, interviewed, made an offer and was accepted. Start date yesterday. 9am came and went, rang up, "oh i accepted another role". Zero thought and consideration. Must be a Gen Y thing.

:rolleyes:

Any one who reduces matters to a generational thing rather than a bad individual is a bit misguided.

I have had great young staff. And bad young staff. I have had bad older staff and excellent older staff.

Customer service in Japan is superb. for example when you buy a packet of ice creams in a supermarket they will ask you if you need dry ice to keep it cold on the way home. They also use super polite language. Here they would probably chuck it at you, not even give you a bag, and not even say 'thank you'.

We just renovated our family room (converted double garage). Accepted the cheapest quote with some trepidation as it was half the price of the others. Carpenter was fabulous, all his tradies great. Turned up on time, cleaned up after themselves and the whole project went like a dream.

Hubby kept up the coffee and tim tams and everyone was happy. And we now have excellent contacts for any other projects we have.
Marg

I walked into a computer shop last week to get some pricing and availability on computers for a customer (quite a lot). As i walked in i said 'hi' to the sales guy there. He replied 'what do you want?'.

I turned around and walked straight back out without saying a word. I dont do business with people i dont like.

Business people generally dont chase a service or product constantly, if they have a bad experience. They just move to new supplier. Lizzie's experience is she's thinking like a householder rather then a business person, chasing this guy until she's totally p'd off and angry.

Whereas a business mindset is to just move on straight away because you dont want to do business with someone/a business like that straight off the bat. Especially if you are going to form a long term business relationship with them.

Customer service in Japan is superb. for example when you buy a packet of ice creams in a supermarket they will ask you if you need dry ice to keep it cold on the way home. They also use super polite language. Here they would probably chuck it at you, not even give you a bag, and not even say 'thank you'.

Back