Australia's CHEAPEST 3 bedroom homes!

I remember looking at a place (on the internet) in Norseman around 5 years ago. It was the cheapest (liveable) place i could find in WA.
Suprisingly, or not so considering the location, the house was $35k!! Fantastic CG in Norseman then ;) Though it was tenanted for $100 per week. I wonder what the place HandyAndy found is rented for. If it's rented at all, that is!

I'm heading out to Mitchell next week, will have to drop past and have a look at that cheapie out there!! :)

Doing a road trip from Bris - Julia Ck (via St George, Cunnamulla, Charleville, Longreach, Winton etc). I'm sure that I'll come across a few more cheap properties on the way up. Will make sure I take photos...

I'm heading out to Mitchell next week, will have to drop past and have a look at that cheapie out there!! :)

Doing a road trip from Bris - Julia Ck (via St George, Cunnamulla, Charleville, Longreach, Winton etc). I'm sure that I'll come across a few more cheap properties on the way up. Will make sure I take photos...

Look forward to it! :)

With all respect to the Berriwillock community and people, (who are incredibly generous, kind and fun people), I could not see the value of lure as investment, but as a cheap place to buy to live, (if that was your wish), it's about 3/4 of an hour from Swan Hill. It possibly will have many years yet as a grain receival centre, (it's a farming community):

Berriwillock Community

I personally think the asking price is 'relatively high' for the small community, but good luck to them...every Easter they open their hearts and wallets and run an auction for the Royal Children's Hospital (Melbourne). So, if you are seeking an amazing country, hospitable, community spirit to retire into, it's immeasurable.

With all respect to the Berriwillock community and people, (who are incredibly generous, kind and fun people), I could not see the value of lure as investment, but as a cheap place to buy to live, (if that was your wish), it's about 3/4 of an hour from Swan Hill. It possibly will have many years yet as a grain receival centre, (it's a farming community):

Berriwillock Community

I personally think the asking price is 'relatively high' for the small community, but good luck to them...every Easter they open their hearts and wallets and run an auction for the Royal Children's Hospital (Melbourne). So, if you are seeking an amazing country, hospitable, community spirit to retire into, it's immeasurable.

To be honest Obsession, you could be identifying one of 1000s of small rural communities. You have made the place sound lovely, so much so, I think it's possible advertising. :D

To be honest Obsession, you could be identifying one of 1000s of small rural communities. You have made the place sound lovely, so much so, I think it's possible advertising. :D

Advertising and 'sharing',:):D these little 'dying' communities contain incredible characters and each their individual stories.

Obviously not for investing, but just big hearted, friendly people...and I did forget to mention Green Lake, 20 or 30 minutes away, recreational fun, skiing, just boating, not sure if the fish and yabbies are back yet, but couple of stubbies sitting down by the lake on a hot summer night, bbq in full gear, the fruit salad cooling it's heels in the eskie, mossies chewing you alive, laughing at the locals storytelling...

If you wanted to spend a few lazy days, weeks, years up in the 'bush' we are very spoilt for choice of great communities. And in some of the bigger towns, more secure, there is a bit of investing to be had, do research, figure the deal. It isn't all last legs stuff.

I thought I'd dig up this thread again in the hope of inciting more discussion about rural property prices.

Not far from where I live, there is a little town (it's where I work actually) where there is a 2 bedroom weatherboard, nice and neat for $179,000 listed price. It's about 30-40min to Toowoomba and the nearest Woolies is 25 minutes. My issue is around the price; how in any shape or form would this house sell for more than $100,000? I know it's a rural retirement town, but there is very little to suggest any further progress or developments, not for at least 10-20 years.

Are people just kidding themselves, or is this another case of pseudo market pressure from an agent who wanted the listing?

Small rural towns should be cheap, in fact, I'd go as far to say, they should still be under $100,000 in most places, especially towns with little to no conveniences.

Last edited:
Back