Australia's Cheapest Farmland?

I'm asking this question as I dream someday of owning a farm that will produce decent returns but not be cripplingly expensive as is the case with many farms these days.

Finding value in acerage is never easy. "Cheap farmland" and "productive farmland" don't often go hand-in-hand. Stuff that sells for $5 a hectare - I'm told such situations exist - is often arid and desert-like.

If you keep track of farmland please share your picks on Australia's cheapest farmland for sale in the following categories

Freehold Farmland

Leasehold Farmland (ie. Pastoral Leases)

Thanks in advance. Let's make this a positive thread which, i hope, can help aspiring farmers like me.

I'm asking this question as I dream someday of owning a farm that will produce decent returns but not be cripplingly expensive as is the case with many farms these days.

Finding value in acerage is never easy. "Cheap farmland" and "productive farmland" don't often go hand-in-hand. Stuff that sells for $5 a hectare - I'm told such situations exist - is often arid and desert-like.

If you keep track of farmland please share your picks on Australia's cheapest farmland for sale in the following categories

Freehold Farmland

Leasehold Farmland (ie. Pastoral Leases)

Thanks in advance. Let's make this a positive thread which, i hope, can help aspiring farmers like me.

Farmland in Australia has two major factors that affect the price. One is the real estate factor and the other is how productive the farm is. Farm improvements such as the condition of homestead, sheds, silos, fences, the land itself also have minor impacts on price.

The real estate factor is huge and if you are witin 3 hours of say Melbourne or Sydney you are probably paying more for the real estate than the other features. This almost puts all of Victoria into this category.

The productive factor is also a huge factor especially as things are "closer" now with the advances in transport etc. Topcroppers farm 30 years ago probably had no real estate factor but is very productive area and as it is now "not so far away" this land is seen as some of the best in Australia.

Things like irrigation can increase the value of the farm as obviously you can be more productive.

Look in the rural paper for properties for sale. This will be a good start as then you can check the websites for other land not listed in the paper. I'm not sure what Victorias major rural paper is but in NSW it is called The Land.

I can add more later but that will do for now, Cheers meconium.

$800 per acre for fertile land in victoria close to a major farming district.
often these prices go under the radar as they are all bought privatley by existing farmers

often these prices go under the radar as they are all bought privatley by existing farmers

Shaneelastic, I do not believe this but not saying you are wrong. Could you please give further information? Eg Town, arable land available etc etc. Thankyou.

I got a lot to contribute on this subject.

However, I've said it all before here,.....
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565127

My first post from that thread,...

Any farm land with the potential of subdivision for firstly smaller hobby farms, and then later residential within 20 years, generally has the potential priced in. So, once that is priced in, it no longer is trading as farm land, [priced on it's agricultural profitability], but priced as real estate.

To complicate things further, in my area, people want small farms with views for the lifestyle. They want mountain views, piece and quiet, land for horses and dirtbikes and a nice creek. So all the small farms, 100 to 250 hectares, even 20 or 30 ks from town, up all the valleys with mountain views, have been selling as real estate for years now. They are valued as much or more than the black soil plains, about $5000 a hectare, even though the profitability of such blocks would be only a half or third as much as the plains dirt.

Farm land is priced accordingly. If there is subdivision potential it's priced in. If it's flat, dry, unproductive, unattractive, 200 miles from a town it's priced in. If it's beautiful and green with mountain views and with a river you can canoe down and a patch of rainforest right next door to a coastal town, it's priced in. If it's highly profitable dirt as a real farm it's priced in.

You'll get farm land 5 minutes from Byron Bay for $250,000 a hectare, and farm land 2 hours from Woop Woop for $5 a hectare and anywhere in between.

Any dirt on the outskirts of a city has the subdivision potential priced in. We may all be a bit slower out in these parts, but we are not stupid. A big regional city like Tamworth might have the farm land valued as real estate out as far as 40 ks from town. I'd guess any farm land 1.5 hours or less from Sydney would be valued as real estate rather than as a farm.

See ya's.

your kidding me right.
why would i make up a b/s figure

Shaneelastic, I said I do not believe this but I'm not saying you are wrong. There are always exceptions to the rule. I was just wondering if you could tell us a bit more about this land that has sold for $800 an acre because if it is right then I'll be down there buying up.

Cheers and thanks.

An interesting property indeed. They say the crops are not included (1/3 of the land is fallow). I wonder how much the crops could be worth, relative to the price of the land?

An interesting property indeed. They say the crops are not included (1/3 of the land is fallow). I wonder how much the crops could be worth, relative to the price of the land?

heaps of them availiable. thats the first one i found on the realestate website.
crops are never included, unless its like a foreclosure or something. do a bit more research......
and thats in a district where its known grain area.
you could pick up something alot cheaper

It's a winter cropping area. Winter dominant rainfall. The massive rains this summer are unusual, and often not welcome. As it's unusual, summer cropping is not practiced, so that's why summer rain is usually not welcome, as it usually does more harm than good.

Out of 1100 acres, 400 is on fallow, I'll guess fallow from pasture? 300 is in pea stubble. Guessing field peas by the photos. That's 700 acres crop? The other 400 acres? Dunno? Maybe lucerne pasture, or clover pasture, or maybe it's poor land and left as native grass's? Probably running sheep?

Just guessing, but after looking at photos, the 300 into pea stubble is probably wheat. So don't know what's planted in the other 400 acres, but the photos are also of field peas. The photos look like they were taken in perhaps August or September last year?

It was the best growing season down that way in years, or it was up until harvest time, when it started raining and wouldn't flippen stop. Absolutely perfect growing conditions though. The wheat may have went 2 tonnes per acre. So if it was 400 acres of wheat, that's 800 tonnes. It was probably weather damaged from unseasonal December rain, so $200 per tonne instead of $330. So $160,000 worth of wheat gross. If it wasn't harvested by last week, when the floods came through from the 100's of mills of unseasonal January rain it might be worth nothing by now.

The peas? Generally they are just a bonus if something comes from them. They are good sheep feed. Pump the soil full of N for a wheat or barley crop. No N is needed for a cereal crop if planted after peas. All just a guess though as far as acres planted.

The sheep? Also, best season in years. Fat lambs worth a fortune. I don't run sheep. No idea of profits. But it would be great this season.

Remember, this was a great year down that way. It needs to, to make up for the crook ones.

Compared to me, I had way too much winter rain all season, and as a result, my winter crop of wheat was very poor. And it was also weather damaged from too much November and December rain, like the property above. But my area is normally a summer rainfall dominant area, with deep water holding soils, and summer crops are the main crop planted. The summer rain has been great for my summer crops and the yields will be big. I made nothing from the wheat but will make a killing from the sorghum crop.

My land is worth $2400 to $3000 an acre compared to $720 per acre for the farm above.
I get an average of 670 mills of rain a year on average. 2.5 times as much in the summer as in the winter.
Warracknabeal gets maybe less than 400 mills of rain a year on average, mostly in the winter.

See ya's.

Last edited:
I'm asking this question as I dream someday of owning a farm that will produce decent returns but not be cripplingly expensive

Are you a farmer? Could you rebuild after the sort of destruction which has just happened in the Lockyer Valley? Do you have the resilience to survive years of drought?

Farmland is like every other asset: You get what you pay for.

Topcroppers post above is worth reading. I actually rang the agent for that block but only got his message bank. It may be fertile land but if it lacks rainfall it will lack productivity. Because of one of the wettest years last year in south eastern Australia the photos look good. I rate fertile and productive land as anywhere you can grow at least 4 tonnes to the hectare of wheat on average per year.

Once again there are exceptions to the rule just like in any propoerty deals.

Last edited:
The best return on capital farmland is in the most marginal areas. (It's called reward for risk.) I know two guys, one in WA and one in NSW who grow crops 'on the edge' so to speak. They are the last graingrowers before the grazing country inland. They are both adament that their country is some of the best return on capital. The problem is that they may only have one or two profitable years in any five year period, but when averaged out, the return on capital is outstanding. The secret is to have enough resources to finance the crop growing for five years before you start, to be efficient with your overheads (eg, machinery), and to have a manager who knows what he is doing. Probably best not to live on the place so that when it gets dry and windy you don't go insane!

The best return on capital farmland is in the most marginal areas. (It's called reward for risk.) I know two guys, one in WA and one in NSW who grow crops 'on the edge' so to speak. They are the last graingrowers before the grazing country inland. They are both adament that their country is some of the best return on capital. The problem is that they may only have one or two profitable years in any five year period, but when averaged out, the return on capital is outstanding. The secret is to have enough resources to finance the crop growing for five years before you start, to be efficient with your overheads (eg, machinery), and to have a manager who knows what he is doing. Probably best not to live on the place so that when it gets dry and windy you don't go insane!

Is that the biggest grain grower in WA that is now almost broke and Greentree in NSW who is doing a bit better?

I've heard stories of farmers on marginal land being able to pay the entire purchase price of their farm with one good crop. Is this true? Or is it a myth?

I've heard stories of farmers on marginal land being able to pay the entire purchase price of their farm with one good crop. Is this true? Or is it a myth?

That may be true, with the gross income from that crop. But they have input costs as well, eg seed, fertilizer, herbicides, machinery, labour.

Is that the biggest grain grower in WA that is now almost broke and Greentree in NSW who is doing a bit better?

No and no. They are both smaller players. The one in WA is a family farm, crops maybe 2000 ha every year. The other one crops about 8000 ha. Neither are famous, just quiet achievers.

Back