Automated watering system - need an electrician?

I have had a landscaper install an automated watering system into an existing outdoor power point. Power point was installed by an electrician.

The landscaper installed a covered green box in the ground to house the valves and so on. The issue has been raised by PM that there are wires inside this box that aren't housed in insulated material, though they have reasonable coverage from the elements via a lid.

My question is, is there any law or official safety guidelines that would require the watering system to be installed by an electrician or to comply with certain standards? The property is in QLD.

If anyone can suggest any websites etc where I could provide evidence to the PM if there is nothing illegal, that would be helpful.

likly thing is the system goes down to 12 volt and are safe in the box, their will be a 240v plug to the power point and then transformer turns this in to 12 volt.
but saying this ALL electrical work should be done by a licenced electrician.

Can you still use water systems in QLD ???

This comes under the current wiring rules standard. You can purchase a copy for an arm and a leg, but it's probably not going to be much interest to you. As stated above most garden watering systems have a 230V to 12V transformer for the solenoids.

Quote them AS/NZS 3000:2007 section 7.5.11.1 which says "conductors and insulation of cables for extra-low voltage electrical installations shall be suitable for the intended purpose and need not be further protected unless installation conditions so demand".

This is what I call a choose your own adventure rule in that there's no black or white and it's not saying that you MUST do anything to protect the cables unless they are likely to receive a pick-axe through them or are running along the driveway, the issue is not so much from direct contact with persons as it is mechanically protecting the cable. There are a few provisions for ELV installations over 25V but they don't apply here.

You'd have to try really hard to hurt yourself.

Back