Unauthorised Tenant Invoice

I would like to point out something that is important with regard to property management. You have employed the services of a PM to manage your property. When you signed the PM agreement it would have stated an amount you have authorised them to spend without authority from you.

Since, you have employed a PM to handle this lease you really should leave all the correspondence up to them to handle. By getting personally involved you are muddying the waters, causing yourself grief and at the same time letting your PM off the hook. If I was your PM I would say that you started this problem so you fix it.

Either you employ a PM and let them get on with their job or you do it yourself. You can't do both.

I would like to point out something that is important with regard to property management. You have employed the services of a PM to manage your property. When you signed the PM agreement it would have stated an amount you have authorised them to spend without authority from you.

Since, you have employed a PM to handle this lease you really should leave all the correspondence up to them to handle. By getting personally involved you are muddying the waters, causing yourself grief and at the same time letting your PM off the hook. If I was your PM I would say that you started this problem so you fix it.

Either you employ a PM and let them get on with their job or you do it yourself. You can't do both.

Thanks for the advice.

Please note though, under no circumstances did we ever contact the tenant directly. All correspondance was via our PM. The electrician got my husband's number and my number off the tenant who had got it when we first met the tenant and PM...which on hindsight was not a good idea, we should have just refused it.

Our PM agreement clearly stated any emergencies or minor repairs under $500 could be authorised without approval by the PM.

As they say, 'not my problem' - the tenant arranged the work, did not seek authorisation, did not seek lessor consent for the fitout works etc. Let the tenant's electrician file a claim against the person who authorised the works.

(Obviously check your lease to ensure that your rights are protected).

What has the PM said? Did they authorise the works? Are any of the works required (were you going to get them done with your sparky)

PM said she never under any circumstances authorised any electrical works. We had our electrician rectify all electrical issues....with an electricial complaince certificate.

Personally if I had been sent a 25k bill for unauthorized electrical work and that work was not accompanied with a compliance cert I would be ringing the local office of energy and making a complaint.

Back