Average Age of REAs that you deal with.

Just wondering what the average age range of real estate agents that you deal with might be and who you are most comfortable dealing with?
Frizzle :)

Strange question. Do you mean sales people or PMs?

I know of one very successful agency locally that has a rather young salesman. I am sure he started selling at around 18, and would be in his early 20's now. Apart from him, most of the sales people are usually around mid 30's-40's. There are exceptions though.

As for the PMs, well, most of the good ones I've met are probably late 20's - 40's although their offsiders can be considerably younger (and often not particularly good).

First house- Male in his mid to late thirties. Very good to deal with as I knew him previously.

PPOR- private sale

IP1- Early 40ish lady- once again very pleasant to deal with because I knew her through the local football club. Even came up to me in the pub when we had settled telling her friends I was the next Donald Trump :D

IP2- Male in his late fifties I would predict- absolute TOOL! treated me like I was 10 years old and knew nothing. Spoke at me and not to me... Will never use him again

Skater, I ask the question because in recent months, we had add a considerable increase of young (barely 20's) sales agents starting in our area.
Frizzle. :)

The one agent skater mentioned is the son of the principal. On average the sales people have been 30 - 50, although there appears to be a number of younger females getting involved.

Perhaps the question is, does it matter how old the agent is? Would I buy from a property from a teenager? Does it even matter if they've had life experience? Does it matter whether they have purchased a property themselves?

There are plenty of financial advisors out there who can't get themselves out of the rat race, but people still pay for their advice.

Providing the person is competent their age is irrelevant. You don't have to drive a Porsche to sell one.

Regards

Andrew

Providing the person is competent their age is irrelevant. You don't have to drive a Porsche to sell one. Regards Andrew[/QUOTE said:
Agreed, Andrew. It is just interesting to see the trend happening, where before for MANY years, 45-50's or older was the average age.
Frizzle.

Providing the person is competent their age is irrelevant. You don't have to drive a Porsche to sell one.

I agree, of the ones I've dealt with:

1. Man in his 20's - the most professional and most helpful. He did his job for the vendor, so I would use him to sell through, but was also most helpful to me all the way to settlement.

2. Man probably about late 30's - currently dealing with, probably put him as my second preference. Quite helpful and friendly.

3. Man in maybe 50's - average service, nothing good or bad stood out.

4. Woman in probably 40's - B!TCH! Absolutely useless as soon as she got my signature on the contract. The sort that gives real estate agents a bad name. When I sold this property, you can guess it wasn't through the same company.

Providing the person is competent their age is irrelevant.

I agree! The young agent that I spoke of was excellent. He seemed to get a good price for the vendors and was good with purchasers too. He wasn't a fresh faced kid who knew nothing as he has a family background in Real Estate.

In the same vein, I believe Lil would be good in any R/E role. She has a keen interest in it, added to real life experience most her age would not have. Hanging around here adds to that too.

I have also dealt with many older agents who are totally useless.

Sometimes I prefer to deal with the useless ones (as a purchaser). :D

Sometimes I prefer to deal with the useless ones (as a purchaser). :D

I was just about to say the same thing skater...I would gladly buy from a wet-behind-the-ears 18 year old agent any day of the week. I would never sell through one though...

Boods

Last edited:
The funny thing is though, the young ones that I have met have been reasonably good. I've been finding more older ones that have no clue.

For instance, I was enquiring about a unit that was for sale. I was dealing with one of the Principals of the Agency (there are two). He told me that it was so cheap because they are not getting much rent. He then went on to tell me about the wonderful long term tenants and their inability to pay higher. It was rented for over $50pw BELOW market.:eek: He then went on about the Agencies wonderful management skills and added that they would love to keep the management and how as an investor I would obviously know that the only way to make money was through CG, not yeild, so the low rent was irrelevant. :confused:

That's right! He is justifying the lower price by telling me I would get good CG by keeping a tenant on who is paying significantly less than market rent. So much below, in fact, that it is lowering the price of the unit.

Unfortunately someone beat me to signing the contract (cause everything else was good). Probably Nathan.:rolleyes:

If he was doing the right thing by the vendor he would have listed the unit at the market price, advised an immediate increase in rent (even if only $20, it would be a start) and tell prospective investors that the tenant was on a month to month (which he was) and how easy it would be to start afresh with a higher rent, or to just continue with the increases.

As Andrew's said, age is irrelevant - experience and skill matter most, as well as local results. The benefit of dealing with younger agents (at least in my experience) is that they're far more PC and net savvy and can handle scanning docs etc. On the whole they also tend to be less suspicious of us BA's- whilst some older agents get confused, considering us competition?! :confused:

The other obvious benefit of securing a young good looking agent to sell your home is that you get to see them on a regular basis in their nice suit and tie combos ;):D...... ok yes I'm kidding!

As Andrew's said, age is irrelevant - experience and skill matter most, as well as local results. The benefit of dealing with younger agents (at least in my experience) is that they're far more PC and net savvy and can handle scanning docs etc. On the whole they also tend to be less suspicious of us BA's- whilst some older agents get confused, considering us competition?! :confused:

The other obvious benefit of securing a young good looking agent to sell your home is that you get to see them on a regular basis in their nice suit and tie combos ;):D...... ok yes I'm kidding!

Agree to an extent Jacque, however suggest that an agent that is only 20 years old could not possibly have sufficient experience to counter every trick that a savvy buyer would be able to throw at them. Experience and skill come with time and practice.

:D as far as the young good looking agents go...no argument there!! (the girl ones anyway! ;))

Boods

I've dealt with quite a few agents whether it be buying or just making enquiries. The ages have varied from (what would be considered) young to middle aged to even (what may be considered) elderly.

Have had good and bad dealings with all the age groups. Personally, I believe that it is the agents personality that makes the transaction good or bad. You can be as professional as you like but if you have a bad attitude, you have the potential to lose clients.

FWIW, I've also noticed quite a few young R/E agents around now. Perhaps trying different things in life or perhaps will stick with it.

Regards
Marty

I guess age is irrelevant - BUT - I wouldn't sell any property thru a youngster! I know, I know I'm being "age-ist", but I do like experience with a sales person. (I AM talking real estate here folks !!)

I'm not fond of he smarta*se agent no matter what the age. I find the smart a*se factor usually is to cover up a lack of experience.

When dealing with people, one needs to have a certain amount of compassion and empathy.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

We have dealt with the range of ages.

The best one was a woman around 30.She had a great personality. She showed us about 20-25 properties all up. Then she had the nerve to get married, have a babay and move across the country !!!:)
She knew Rob always wanted to start in the basement. If it didn't pass that test, we didn't go any further.
She knew she was just the perosn who had the key to the properties. She didn't pretend to know more than us.
She knew it was me that picked the properties and Rob decided if they were structurally sound.

Now if we want to view a property, we just contact the listing agent.
There are a couple of agents we will not deal with, unless it is an exclusive listing .These 2 women are as crooked as they come.

So no, would care what their ages are.

Age doesn't even factor in. I have met alot of good ones all different ages (one was only just 18, but I though he was older because of the way he presented and articulated himself) and gender.

I have also met alot of shockers of all ages and genders too.

i was just at an inspection today and the agent (male in his 50s) didnt even know what the size of the apartment was and instead told me calculate it using the floor plans on re.com, but the floor plans didn't have measurements :confused:

ownthing - Unfortunately the floor size is not always on RP Data or similar and as such the floor area may be unknown to the agent.

Regarding age - I think experience is a much more important factor, however do agree that it is essential that the agent is up to date with technology. Would you prefer a 25yr old with 5 years experience that is able to reply to your emails straight away from their blackberry or a 50yr old agent with 1 year experience that can't even use a computer? Extreme example but show's the irrelevance of age.

Back