REA Dirty Tricks!

I think the most universal dirty trick they pull is the pre-auction listed price.

In many cases, the property is always going to sell for more than the listed price - often much more.

Of course; the agents will counter this deceit with; "Oh; the market is telling us it is worth $x more - we really can't tell what the market will do" or words to that effect. :rolleyes:

Like; it's only their job, and they have no clue about r/e values in their suburb?.. Yeah, right.

The whole strategy is to get interest, to get more contacts for the database, more exposure etc.

When I worked in the game (not for long - it wasn't for me), the guy I used to work for put a fictitious offer into his Vendor to see how low he would go.

Last edited:
I'd like to start a discussion about dirty tricks you've seen real estate agents use to try and push up prices etc.

I've dealt with one REA only so experience is limited but I did have an opportunity to see some dirty tricks! So far I'm enjoying the property game as it reminds me of a mixed game of poker and chess.
So......you've only ever dealt with ONE real estate agent? And you come here to whinge about 'dirty tricks'. I don't know, but this does not come across as the truth. Especially after only dealing with one agent.

The fact that you keep bringing it back to ask everyone "have you experienced any dirty tricks?" makes me think that you are writing an article on this, and have come here to get fodder.

But we don't care :p Have you experienced any dirty tricks Pinkboy?

Hi Tim,

Have you experienced any REA dirty tricks?

Hi Big will, have you experienced any REA dirty tricks?

Had signed contracts with a REA in NSW once, but she just wouldn't exchange. After three days, she called me to tell me that she had a higher offer and asked me to beat it. I told her to go and get f****d and reported her to REINSW.

Had signed contracts with a REA in NSW once, but she just wouldn't exchange. After three days, she called me to tell me that she had a higher offer and asked me to beat it. I told her to go and get f****d and reported her to REINSW.

Whats wrong with that?

The fact that you keep bringing it back to ask everyone "have you experienced any dirty tricks?" makes me think that you are writing an article on this, and have come here to get fodder.

This was my thought too skater. If that is the case, why not just come out and ask for real. If this is the case, isn't this a bit of a dirty trick to get fodder for an article?

When REA emails you a multiple offers form to sign.. is that something they can deceive you with, or does it have to be genuine by law?

I've not seen any dirty tricks. But I've only purchased in times when agents really needed the deal.

Read freakenomics. Agents have very little incentive to get an extra $5000 for the vendor for example. The commission on that little bit extra is negligible.

Which is why stats show realestate agents hold out a lot longer for a better price with their own houses compared with the houses they sell for others.

When REA emails you a multiple offers form to sign.. is that something they can deceive you with, or does it have to be genuine by law?

Don't know what the multiple offer form is but I would only sign a CoS.

All offer forms are useless as it doesn't stipulate everything that would form the CoS.

I've not seen any dirty tricks. But I've only purchased in times when agents really needed the deal.

Read freakenomics. Agents have very little incentive to get an extra $5000 for the vendor for example. The commission on that little bit extra is negligible.

Which is why stats show realestate agents hold out a lot longer for a better price with their own houses compared with the houses they sell for others.

While I agree the agents do not get much for that $5,000 extra unless bonuses are used.

I worked in REA and had an offer of 520k and the vendor wouldn't accept it. Said they could sell it for easily for 550k anytime go ask them for more money. I advised him that i feel the buyers will walk away as shaking when signing the CoS. The property had been on the market for 8 months and the highest offer before was 490 or 495k (cant remember). The underbidder was 500k (20k less). Showed the vendor comparable sales and if the property was worth 550k and then comparable properties at 500k, which is where his property was worth. (advertised price went from 550k+ down to 520k+ to 500k+ and was at 490k+). Clearly if it was worth 550k and you were advertising at 490k there would be a queue of people lining up for the bargin of the centrury but there was no one coming through open houses or maybe 1 or 2 groups and anytime someone wanted to inspect we made private bookings.

Went back to the buyers they pulled the plug and went to the underbidder and they had put an offer in on another property leaving no buyers. Another 2 months went buy (place was vacant this whole time which again I said it was costing them money) and it sold for 510k from another agent (same agency).

So in this real life situation, the vendor paid an extra 2 months (total 8 months) because he wanted 550k but it doesn't matter what you want it is what the market is going to pay but also lost $10,000 on what was his best offer cause his pride.

I got nothing for having the best offer that wasn't accept except in my mind I could say 'I told you so' and that it cost him more than it costed me. The reason for accepting a lower price he had bought another place and needed the cash and yes I did go back to the 520k buyers saying the vendor is more accepting of offers but he had burnt my relationship with the buyers as they gave their best and didn't win (FHB) and still hadn't purchased, even though I never promised them anything or disclosed what the underbidder was (as their first offer was 500k and we negotiated slowly up to 520k) it was truly a good offer.

Would you risk $5,000 in a 1M purchase price? The vendor is the one who says yes or no not the REA. If you push for the extra $5,000 the buyer moves on and you are left with either the under bidder (could be 50k less) or no bidders which on a 1M cash at 3% p.a. could cost the vendor ~$600 pw. What if the vendor has already bought and need settlement or they will have a loans of 1.5M which interest without bridging of 5% would be ~$1,500 pw.

With the agent selling their own house they are the one who pays the consequences if it doesn't sell but if an agent says I think I can get another $5,000 and the vendor says do it and the buyer walks away who is accountable?

My mum used to get very frustrated as an agent when vendors were unrealistic. By the time her sole agency was up, often the vendor would engage a different agent at a more realistic price. The first agent could have sold for the eventually realised price if only the vendor had been realistic at the start.

I recommended an agent to a friend years ago. She had appraisals of $310K to $349K. She listed at $375K. Agent knew I understood his frustration but she would not budge. He brought her contracts for $325K which she refused as it was not close to the $349K higher end of the "possible sale price" scale.

When the listing went stale and his sole agency ran out, she listed it with another agent who said it should sell $310K to $329K (something like that) but they offered a guarantee that if she didn't get over $290K they would not charge her. WTF? If she didn't get $290K and their lower end of the range was $310K they needed a kick up the backside.

She ended up selling for $307K. She should have listened to me and the first agent and not listed it at such a stupidly high figure. She never did seem to realise it was all her own greedy fault. She still blamed the first agent for not selling when she chose the stupidly high listing price. He didn't have a chance.

She lost money, lost time and just wasted everybody's time.

I picked up that vibe, too.

No this is not the case, I just wanted some answers to my original question. Interesting that the property is still on on realestate.com.au and is running 2 open houses this weekend. Still seems like a bluff to me.

No this is not the case, I just wanted some answers to my original question. Interesting that the property is still on on realestate.com.au and is running 2 open houses this weekend. Still seems like a bluff to me.

The deal isn't unco so I would expect once it is unco open houses will cease.

Cause if the deal falls through they have wasted any time with advertising or having to pay another relist fee on RE.com.

REA isn't doing anything dodgy in fact they are doing a great job!

Last edited:

Good agents will continue the open houses and marketing until a contract goes unconditional. Hardly a dirty trick. As a vendor, I want my property to continue to be marketed in case a purchaser tries to weasel out of the contract using one of the well known "purchaser dirty tricks".

She ended up selling for $307K. She should have listened to me and the first agent and not listed it at such a stupidly high figure. She never did seem to realise it was all her own greedy fault. She still blamed the first agent for not selling when she chose the stupidly high listing price. He didn't have a chance.
This is where the agent needs to have the guts to say; "Look; you are never gunna sell your house for that much, and I don't want to waste yours and my time trying to get that figure".

It may have the reverse result where the Vendor might suddenly think; "Hey; this guy is being really honest; I'd better stick with him".

Mind you; the other side of the coin happens a lot too; the agent tells the Vendor they can expect to get the Universe for their house, knowing they will be lucky to get the moon.

This is where the agent needs to have the guts to say; "Look; you are never gunna sell your house for that much, and I don't want to waste yours and my time trying to get that figure".

It may have the reverse result where the Vendor might suddenly think; "Hey; this guy is being really honest; I'd better stick with him".

Mind you; the other side of the coin happens a lot too; the agent tells the Vendor they can expect to get the Universe for their house, knowing they will be lucky to get the moon.

I guess the agent could say that bluntly, but they instead hope the vendor will listen to the market. We listed high a couple of years back, and after a week, we lowered it. But some people just don't want to hear that feedback.

And of course, there are many here (and elsewhere) who say this is "crunching" or "conditioning" the vendor. Sometimes the vendor needs to be crunched or conditioned when they have expectations that have no bearing on what the market is doing.

I think this agent knew he was beating his head against a wall, and with hindsight he probably wishes he had just walked away from it, but that is hard to do when you have to feed a family.

Back