B & P Inspection Guidance

Firstly, I understand you are not privy to all details on the report and its eventually 'YMMV', but I am just looking for some general guidance/suggestions/opinions.

Looking to buy a 21 year old villa (part of strata) and had a B & P inspection done, they have come back with

1) No active pest damage (live termites) found. Some evidence of past termite damage such as mud tubes or damaged timbers were found.

2) The overall state in the context of the building's age and general expectation of similar properties is 'average'

3) There is a decking and a set of 7 or 8 steps that lead to the backyard. There is some timber pest damage and they recommend replacing the decking/steps.

- Will that be my expense or strata expense or shared expense?. The reason I ask is the agent mentioned bcos its exterior to the structure, its looked after by the strata

- Whose decision will it be to replace or repair it? If I wanted to replace the decking/stairs to improve appearance, but the strata simply want to repair it, what happens then?

Because I am fairly new to the process, I dont know how to make a 'decision-making' sense of the above. What would you do? (do ask me further questions if you need more info) and what questions should I be asking? Is the above reasonable for the property that age (its in baulkham hills)

Thanks for your time

Depends on the state, however as a general guide, and I do mean general, if the deck is in your backyard then it would be your responsibility to replace/repair the steps. BCs normally look after the boundary fence however they may well have a say (without financial outlay) on the "look" of the deck as it may need to fit with the façade of the property.
A.

Back