Baby Names - Michaela or Makayla

My wife and I are discussing names for our baby due any day now. One name we like (if it is girl) is "mih-KAY-lah" (phonetically spelled). One of our concerns is that the child will be forever having to spell it out. So wanted to do a snap poll - if someone told you there name was "mih-KAY-lah", how would you assume it is spelt:

a. Michaela
b. Makayla

Thanks,

Jason

I think the question you have to ask yourself is: does the name 'sound' so good (to you) that you want to subject your child to having to spell her name out for people and suffer messed up correspondence, etc.... for the rest of her life?

With your name, you wouldn't have had this problem. Don't underestimate just how frustrating it is.

My wife and I are discussing names for our baby due any day now. One name we like (if it is girl) is "mih-KAY-lah" (phonetically spelled). One of our concerns is that the child will be forever having to spell it out. So wanted to do a snap poll - if someone told you there name was "mih-KAY-lah", how would you assume it is spelt:

a. Michaela
b. Makayla

Thanks,

Jason

Makayla

P.S. Congratulations :)

Congrats on the bub.

For her sake though.. please dont give her a "dumb spelling of a normal name" name :)

Very many names have variant spellings. So the child may well have to spell out her own name, no matter what.

Having said that, I personally don't like names that are traditional names, spelt differently from the traditional spelling. It seems indulgent. So I would vote Michaela.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is: does the name 'sound' so good (to you) that you want to subject your child to having to spell her name out for people and suffer messed up correspondence, etc.... for the rest of her life?

With your name, you wouldn't have had this problem. Don't underestimate just how frustrating it is.

By God what he said!

My surname is almost unique within Australia and I am the only Peter Tersteeg in this country, although may people from Western Europe do recognize where my name comes from. In may respects this does have some advantages as once learned it's hard to forget.

The disadvantage is that for my entire life, I've had to spell it for people (dispute it being quite phonetic). Fortunately I've never been asked to spell my first name.

Imagine now, a kid with a relatively common name, having to spell it for the rest of their live because their parents think they're special - just like every other kid with a common name spelled badly. Perhaps some parents just want to make their children lives painful.

Last edited:
What is with people and giving their kids stupid and retarded spellings for their kids names?

is it because mummy and daddy grew up ordinary or sub par, and they have to rely on dumb *** spellings to overcome their short comings?

or is to try and mimic the Kardashians who give dumb spellings as a marketing tactic, in the hope that their kids will outshine their woeful acheivements

in my experience, the kids with the dumb spellings, usually have equally as dumb and plain parents, and often the kid turns out to be average too!

Very many names have variant spellings. So the child may well have to spell out her own name, no matter what.

Having said that, I personally don't like names that are traditional names, spelt differently from the traditional spelling. It seems indulgent. So I would vote Michaela.

I vote for the traditional spelling. My name is a variation on a "normal" spelling. I wish my mother had given me the "normal" spelling. I've spent many years spelling my name to all and sundry, insurers, banks, everyone really who needs my name on anything.

So Michaela would be my choice.

Dear Jaysen ;) please spell it the traditional way - Michaela.

She will still have to spell it all the time but if you like it and she does then she will live with it.

I have had to spell my first name and surname all my life - middle name isn't a walk in the park either, Llawela :eek: But you know what? it's made me what I am and I wouldn't change it for the world.

If you want to consider alternative - I have also seen Mickayla

What is with people and giving their kids stupid and retarded spellings for their kids names?

is it because mummy and daddy grew up ordinary or sub par, and they have to rely on dumb *** spellings to overcome their short comings?

I would go for Makayla as its the same spelling as my brothers grand daughter.

As for stupid names,my sil and bil recently named their new son Arrow Truth *********.Now thats really cruel on the kid.

I'm for Michaela ... one thing I always reckon you have to consider ... what if your child, one day, became a judge or a politician or a doctor or astronaut or pro tennis player etc ... what name would you like them to have and how would you like it to be spelt.

Means I'm not a fan of Skye and Amber and Sapphire and Crystal etc

Mind you - junior has a traditional name, spelt traditionally, and we still have to confirm the spelling due to so many "modern" variations ... and I have a surname that always needs to be spelt

Its bad enough having to spell my last name all the time, then repeat it to ensure they have it correct.

Mikaylah is another variant which at least is similar to pronounced.

I have a Mikayla here.... pronounced Mi-Kayla, she is 17 in June, and she was named from Dr Michaela Quinn medicine woman, and an old school friends little sister Mikhaela. When I had her in a small qld hospital, there were 4 other Mikaylas born, all with different spellings and variations, seems its not that uncommon, but there is no one common spelling.

I grew up with an uncommon name and have always had to spell it. I dont think this is that uncommon in our expanding worlds now days anyway and not what should define what you call your child.

.....Now standing on the back porch and screaming the name until your hors.....then deciding if you still like it, that makes sense to me (doesn't fix the spelling problem though....sorry)

I love the name, think it is beautiful - either spelling is nice.

I have a name that can be spelt a few different ways (slightly different pronunciation), mine is the less common version. I dont find it to be a major issue. Sure I have to spell it occasionally, however I would still be asked if I had the more common spelling as well.

I have a friend whose daughter is named Michaela, she quite often calls her Mickey (not sure how she spells it) - I'm not a fan of that abbreviation.

Congrats - we're expecting our first baby girl any day as well....and still don't know what her name will be :eek:

It's a nice name - I'd go for option 1.

Cheers

Jamie

Nemo, Neemo, Nemoe. Yes a few ways to spell.

That's a good point. Any name longer than one syllable will be abbreviated so it's worthwhile looking at the abbreviation.

Also check on how the name can be abbreviated. I had to watch with a surname of Whitfield. Veronica would have been a VW. Theresa would have been twhitfield. Fiona would have been a little f whit.

Back