Baby Names - Michaela or Makayla

I created this excel to work out the numerology for baby names. Just another way to choose the name :)

I'm trying to give you the minimum information here so that it doesn't get over complicated :)

Instruction.
Go to the sheet ‘Numerology’
Last name: Type your last name in Cell I3
First name: You have two choices. You can either type in Cell H3 or Select in G3. H3 has higher priority over G3.

Numerology values for first name and full name are displayed in both Numerology system (Pythagoras & Chaldean).
Pythagoras: Number values are simply assigned in alphabetical order. Generally they focus on how the name is written in full.
Chaldean: Number values are assigned based on how each letter sounds. Focus is more on how you call your child.

So I prefer the first name to be suited for the Chaldean system and full name to be suited for the Pythagoras system. These two columns are highlighted in green.

It is difficult to satisfy everything. So I would go for something ‘not too bad’ under any system!

More than happy to discuss more through PM.

Disclaimer: I’m not a numerology professional. I just have interest in it.

At the end of the day, all variances of your names are beautiful :)

Attachments

• Baby Name Selection_Numerology.zip
    31.3 KB · Views: 54
My wife and I are discussing names for our baby due any day now. One name we like (if it is girl) is "mih-KAY-lah" (phonetically spelled). One of our concerns is that the child will be forever having to spell it out. So wanted to do a snap poll - if someone told you there name was "mih-KAY-lah", how would you assume it is spelt:

a. Michaela
b. Makayla

Thanks,

Jason

Makayla, is nice and easy and I like this very much.

If you go with Michaela this may confuse in particular when writing the name etc, many may pronounce "ch", as in Michelle, hope this makes sense.

Michaela for me.

That said we live in a very cosmopolitan world and unusual spellings of names are increasingly the status quo in todays world, no one would bat an eyelid either way so either option is fine.

As for only sticking with the traditional spelling of names. Whose tradition exactly? Sebastian is traditional to me, but I can tell you first hand many people believe Sebastien to be traditional.

I prefer Michaela.

Makayla makes me think of Kayla, a name I don't particularly like.

With names with more than one syllable being frequently shortened, it could easily end up that I would think; moreso than with Michaela.

Others have changed both of my children's names to shortened versions.

I know two young Mikayla's (spelt this way) and another one my age spelt Michaela. I think it's up to you! I always have to spell my name which I think is pretty basic. I consider my last name as only being able to be spelt one way but I still have to spell it. Often people add an 'on' onto the end.

I'm in two minds about this - on one hand, I'm not in favour of naming kids with "trendy" alternative spellings for their names - but on the other hand, we are an increasingly multicultural country and not everyone can be called John or Jane Smith.

While having a name that is easy to spell is a nice idea - there are a lot of different surnames which are not easy, even from people whose ancestors have been in Australia since the 1800's. Even I automatically spell Hampel for people - since people assume it is Hample. How about all the Hatzipanagiotis and Diakomichalis's of the world, who are 3rd or 4th generation Australian?

I do acknowledge that there is a difference between needing to spell first names vs last names - but I think in general, the principle still applies - a very large percentage of our population have to spell their first names because they are not obvious or universally known.

You would thing that a name like Simon is impossible to get wrong (and indeed most English speaking countries have no problems) - but I found when travelling in South America that whenever I had to give my name, people looked at me strangely when I pronounced it the way we would (with a long i sound). Recognising that in Spanish, vowels only ever have one sound (with i being a short sound like in kit or mit), when I started pronouncing my name that way, people immediately understood ("ahh, Simon Bolivar, si, si").

We faced this same decision ourselves with our kids - they were both adopted from orphanages in Colombia and were given names with Spanish spellings (Andres, the Spanish variant of Andrew and Nicol, the Spanish spelling for Nicole). While we did have the opportunity to change their names, we decided to keep them as an important part of their identity (and they were really nice names anyway), recognising that they will still be forced to spell their names for everyone.

Back to the original names, I actually think Mikayla is a more common spelling these days?

Other spellings I found online:

Michaela
Makayla
Mikayla
Mikaela
Makaila
McKayla
Mikaila

Actually - just checked, in the US apparently Mikayla and Makayla were just about even in popularity up until the late 90's and since then, Makayla has retained its popularity, while Mikayla has diminished somewhat.

Similarly, in the US, the traditional Michaela was much more popular until the mid-90's and since then it has dropped off dramatically in favour of Makayla.

However, from what I've seen, Mickayla seems to be more popular in Australia - I couldn't find any hard data to back that up though, only judging from the results I got in Google searches.

PS. don't ever call your child something starting with McK

Hi Jason,

My preference would be Mikayla BUT this is Australia.......and no matter what you do, Aussies will shorten it - probably to Mickey ........and then to Mouse. :eek:

I worked with a guy for many years in IT, whose daughter's nickname was "Mouse".

Even with my own plain simple Alan Fox, I get:
Allan
Allen
Alen
Alun
Alex (probably get this 1/2 the time - as the brain does the short circuit reading thing)
........just so you know.

Hey Jason

Congrats- how exciting! I think you should go with whatever you like- she will be spelling any variance on a regular occurrence regardless, given that there's no "traditional" way to spell it (not like Peter or Jason :))

My full name is Jacqueline (and yes we all know how many variances that has!) however my mum named me after her much-admired cousin who spelt the shortened version Jacque so I am constantly correcting people from Jacquie, Jacqui, Jackie, Jacky, Jacki etc. Luckily with a surname of Parker no-one asks how to spell that (unless they're a complete noob :D)

When I named my son Riley (almost 18 yrs ago when it wasn't as common) most people assumed and spelt it correctly and phonetically. I did, however, run into one mum who had named her daughter Rhylleigh.... if you think Michaela or Makayla is going to spell her name one time too often, spare a thought for poor Rhylleigh :eek:

As an aside, a 6yr old I taught in my previous career was an absolutely gorgeous Michaela and I always associate the name with gentleness. Enjoy the journey all over again :)

I've been thinking about this whilst reading the varied responses.

What it boils down for me, really has nothing to do with the fact that my mother used a variation of the "normal" spelling when she named me. My name was not a common one back then anyway, so as others have said, I would probably be spelling it anyway, and there are two "normal" spellings of my name in regular use anyway.

So, with further thought, I cannot help but continually imagine Kath and Kim when I read this thread. I think of people who try to be "different" by changing normal names and make them "unusual" (said with a Kim voice :D).

ie. Reebbeckaahh

When there is an accepted "normal" spelling I'd always go with it, because it makes me wonder why the parents were trying to be so pretentious as to change it to something with a bit more "sparkle" or "pizazz"? I'm sorry to admit that I tend to judge parents who do that to their children, my problem, I know.

And I just cannot stop picturing Kath and Kim discussing this as I read each post :D.

PS. You can tie a ribbon around a mullet, but it's still a mullet...

Congratulations Jason and Jamie.

Personally I like fairly traditional names with traditional spellings. For instance there's many variances on Benjamin now, but we chose the "normal" spelling and I'm always asked how it's spelt.

Even with my name Samantha, I get people asking constantly how to spell it, I've even had a few ask how to spell Sam :rolleyes:

Also, when I see Makayla I think mah-kay-la not mi-kay-la

I think no matter what you name her, she will forever need to spell it as there's so many variances. Some of the interesting kids names I know -

Velvet, Rainbow, Persia-Jewel, Pascal (pronounced pas-carl, but spelt like pascal swirls), Jaymz, Miachaela, Pollyanna, Rebeckah...

Pascal (pronounced pas-carl, but spelt like pascal swirls)

Pascal is a well known surname in countries like France, but is also used as a given name there. There is also an Italian form Pasquale and Spanish Pascual.

The English (Cornish) equivalent is Pascoe or Pasco.

I tend to use both pronunciations Pas-carl and Pas-cal ... depending on the weather I guess. The name is familiar to me since it was one of the first programming languages I learned (named after French mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal) ... I've heard many people pronounce it with the long ar sound - although I'm not sure whether that is how the name would be pronounced in France.

I have a good friend from Nebraska named Michaela and everyone calls her Mickey for short. She's about 34 years old. I would avoid Makayla because it sounds trailer park.

Simple spelling for me.

I live on a street that I have to spell every single time I give it out, both the name of the street and the street type. If I say it to quick it comes back as one word, too slowly, comes back as 3/4 words.

So frustrating. :(

My full name is Jacqueline (and yes we all know how many variances that has!) however my mum named me after her much-admired cousin who spelt the shortened version Jacque so I am constantly correcting people from Jacquie, Jacqui, Jackie, Jacky, Jacki etc. Luckily with a surname of Parker no-one asks how to spell that (unless they're a complete noob :D)

Jacque, having never met you and never knowing how you pronounced you name...whenever we speak at home about your posts/work....I say J'aque...sounds French :p

Not sure about here in Australia...
in my experience in the US, a person named Michaela most likely treated differently(favourably) then someone named Makayla...specially in situations when they cannot see the person face to face....for example.. sifting thru resumes.

My wife and I are discussing names for our baby due any day now. One name we like (if it is girl) is "mih-KAY-lah" (phonetically spelled). One of our concerns is that the child will be forever having to spell it out. So wanted to do a snap poll - if someone told you there name was "mih-KAY-lah", how would you assume it is spelt:

a. Michaela
b. Makayla

Thanks,

Jason

Are you a bogan? If yes, use b. If no, and correct spelling is important to you, use a. For goodness sake, don't burden your daughter to a life of having to carry a scozz name around everywhere. Michaela is simply Michael with an 'a' on the end, for goodness sake. How many people do you know that have trouble spelling Michael?

Like Peter Tersteeg, I have a tricky surname and am also the only person in Australia that carries my full name. I don't have an issue with spelling my surname out for people, you should see the variations of it when I tell people what it is, it's so funny.

Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Homer and Marge are trying to think of a name for Bart.

PS. don't ever call your child something starting with McK
Otherwise setting your child up for a lifetime career in McDonalds ;)

I think there is something wrong if you can't find a babies name you like out of a book of 1000+ conventional names. In my opinion coming up with a new name or new spellings for old names is pretentious/boganish and should be limited to new tacky products seen on infomercials e.g. SCHTICKY

Back