Bali,have you been?

The Bali economy has been slammed over the last few years so people will try even harder to make a $. I find if you are polite, nice and smile a lot folks will generally leave you alone after a day or two. Dont promise to come back the next day or two as you will be held to it ;)

... I think the golden rule for me was not to even look at something that you have no intention of buying, especially with the street sellers. I tried not to enter a street stall that I wasnt going to buy at...go shopping first thing in the morning - its much cooler and you might get "morning price"!
Take lots of brochures from Myers, Kmart, BigW etc so you know Australian prices when you do buy. We noticed that many things were cheaper in Australia than were being sold in Bali.

Recommend Baik Bike tour in Ubud, mainly downhill cycling through outlying villages followed by a fantastic Balinese banquet at Wayan's house, prepared by his wife. Around 350.000rp per person. Make sure you eat Babi Guling at Ibu Oka's warung (next to the palace) but be there early. Fantastic suckling pig.
We have been at least yearly for the last 4 years with our young family (since my son was a baby). Feel free to PM me if you would like any specific ideas.
You will love it if you go with the right attitude (live and let live!)

Regards
Alanna

Tizzy, Tizzy, Tizzy:

What can i say about bali that hasn't been said? 25 years ago when i first went there it was (in a sense) a tropical paradise where you could really relax on a beach without being hassled and enjoy the local culture etc...:) i returned every 5 years, with my last trip just before the last bombings. I can't stand the place now and won't be going back.

i'm tired of explaining that no i don't want my hair braided, nails done, another rolex /t shirt, or tour by a trusted family member. And no i don't want to enter into a local joint venture to start up a business, resort, hotel etc...:rolleyes:All this while you're just at the beach trying to do nothing! If the constant hard sell was just in the tourist areas then it wouldn't be so bad. But you're not immune to it in inland areas either. I, too am well travelled in asia but i think bali is paradise lost... That said, its not bad value for money.BTW forget $50 a day for a car and guide - bargain hard and you should be able to halve that price (especially if you don't mind a 'guide whose english is lacking:p)

.BTW forget $50 a day for a car and guide - bargain hard and you should be able to halve that price (especially if you don't mind a 'guide whose english is lacking:p)

$50 is a bargain when you consider the price of fuel etc and where's the integrity in screwing someone down on price so they are working for near nothing. I think its unrealistic to think you will get it for under 300,000 rupiah and more likely 350,000 which will get you a nice car and great guide.

Sure Bali isnt what it was back when, my 1st visit was 26 years ago but appreciate it for what it is. A great alternative is Nusa Lembongan which is indeed like Bali was. But if you appreciate it for what it is Im sure you'll have a good time.

This forum http://www.balitravelforum.com is a great place to read and ask questions.

$50 is a bargain when you consider the price of fuel etc and where's the integrity in screwing someone down on price so they are working for near nothing. I think its unrealistic to think you will get it for under 300,000 rupiah and more likely 350,000 which will get you a nice car and great guide.
Good point!

Talk about Law of Attraction - I said I was jealous and now I'm off to Bali in January. (long story short) My sister was going with a friend, they've had a massive falling out so I'm taking her place.

Anyway - I've only been to Bali in winter months - can anyone tell me what its like in Jan/Feb?

Christmas in Ubud and New Year at the Padma in Kuta (fairly sure its Kuta). Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who has been. Any tours you'd recommend? Or must sees/do? Apparently have to do some adventure stuff also {sigh}.

Well, I've been four times myself and have just booked tickets for the same period! I tend not to do tours. Usually I hire a local to act as tour guide and practise my appalling Bahasa.

Ubud is great, one of my favourite places on the isle. If Kuta gets too busy for your liking and Nusa is too western/expensive, try Sanur.

In Ubud one should travel through the Sacred Monkey Forest - but hang on to your glasses, camera etc! Good place to purchase wood carvings as well; chess sets in particular (Balinese are great chess players). Visit the art museum; it's very impressive.

Besikah is a good place to go if you like massive Hindu temple complexes. I like a dash of religious variety in my life, so I tend to drop there as well...

In the north Singaraja is certainly worth a visit for some old world charm and beautiful beaches. If you like cultural artefacts Gedong Kirtya to the south is worth a visit as well.

The Padma is a lovely resort located right on the beach - lots of families will be there, but also plenty of space. We have been to Bali six times; the latest was 12 months ago. It will be very hot, and maybe some very heavy rain!

Try the white water rafting - there will be lots of tour sellers in Legian street to book through. Dont swallow the water though - as you drift by you will see why this is a good idea. You will get tired of the Hawkers, dont show any interest or they will be all over you, and I mean, ALL over you forever. They will also follow you into restaurants, nowhere is safe but the resort is ok. We found Ubud very sticky at this time of the year. Lots of markets for bargaining, but quality not all that great. Lots of restaurants just up Legian and Padma. Try getting a leather jacket made - there is a really good leather place just up from the Padma resort. They will make to order if you have a couple of days. Also, try this site

www.balitravelforum.com

it will be your bible to Bali!

Stay away from the monkeys - they are very aggressive and if you get bitten, you will have to endure rabies shots. There is a very good Hospital in Kuta though.

Waterbom - that is the best! Not the huge queues of Qld; some really great rides - love the lazy river; macaroni (go down in a double, backwards!) and your son will love it. Just be prepared - it isnt Australia! And massages - the cheapest and best massages in the world!

The hawkers - the worst come from Java, and yes, they were moved on around 2 years ago. They get quite nasty. The Balinese themselves are gentle. And tell your son he cant bring a BBgun back to Oz! Again, you will know what I mean when you get there.

Do go to the Barbeques at Jimbaran Bay - select your fish/crabs etc, but get a table away from the smoke and near the water - arrive in time for sunset.

I think you either love Bali, or hate it. And unlike Cava, everyone we know loves it!

With work being so busy I don't think I'll be arranging anything much until I get there. Really looking forward to a mere three and a half hour flight! That sounds like bliss to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

Hi, I am writing this from Indonesia, thought I would drop in on this conversation!!

I actually have been living here for the last 15 yrs, this week I am going to Lombok which I think is good value!!

Robert

And another thing - just make sure your son doesnt agree to any tennis coaching lessons offered to him in the street - just tell him if he is approached by a young guy for lessons, to say no and move away.

I'm curious now, whats tennis coaching about?? Or shouldn't I ask :confused:

I think all the pollies leave on Friday, I expect it to be just your average Christmas crowd after that. I understand that there have been some closed areas for security reasons since the climate conference started.

I'm curious now, whats tennis coaching about?? Or shouldn't I ask :confused:

The tennis coaching is an excuse for other reasons. Just tell him to say no and move away and that will be it. I had heard about 'the tennis coach' approaching young males (he totally ignores young females of the same age!)from the Bali forum and thought it was silly, then in Bali my son was approached, (he was 15) so we were ready. We were on Padma street, near where you are staying so thought I should warn you. No problems at all as long as you know to avoid! I think tourists are always a target anywhere in the world because when you are on holidays people tend to let their guard down.

things to do

waterbomb park
dinner at sharky's on the beach
get up into the mountains - but you're staying close to there anyway.
white water rafting is GREAT fun and really not that hardcore. a really great day out.

things not to do

ride a scooter without international license. my wife got held HOSTAGE while i went back to the hotel to pay her RANSOM from the Javanese cop.
stay away from Poco Locos Mexican restaraunt. I got the worse case of salmonella apparently "ever seen in WA" from that place.
if you don't like the "hey you buy! you buy!" grabbing and pestering, stay out of poppy's lane - esp if you're a newbie.

everyone gets ripped off for their first taxi ride.
everyone pays way too much for that first watch / 4 bintang tshirts.

if you're approached, look straight ahead, and constant no-thankyou's will suffice.

other than that - have fun.

Had a great trip again, what about you other guys? Scored some great waves, met lots of new friends, picked up some nice cheap clothes and another Tattoo from Wayan at Mr Dolphin. Just under 7 hours!!!!!!!!!!!

Bali0708032.jpg

A couple of questions Kamak. Did the tattoo take 7 hours or the trip? And also, is it one of those that rubs off on the sheets?

Tattoo took 7 hrs and it wont be rubbing off any time soon I hope as I hate gravel rash :)

I feel Im one of the luckiest people to walk the planet so its a combo of lucky symbols, cards, dice etc.

Back