• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Tonight you will kill two good men, my friends": Ben Quilty's message to Widodo

Australian artist Ben Quilty has been integral to the "I Stand for Mercy" fighting for clemency on behalf of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, and an end to the death penalty internationally.

But Quilty is also a man in pain tonight knowing his friends Andrew and Myuran will likely be dead tomorrow. Killed by an Indonesian firing squad.

He posted this messgae to Indonesian President Widodo earlier today.

"Joko Widodo tonight you will kill two good men, my friends. I want you to know that you may take their freedom and their lives, you may rob their fellow inmates of the support and love that both men have offered and provided for so long, you can turn off Myu's imagination but you will never kill the memory of them.

"I have promised Myu and Andrew, their parents and their siblings, that I will fight against the death penalty for the rest of my life.

"I can also assure you that Myu and Andrew will care for the other inmates you will execute tonight. The six men and one young woman from the Philippines, Ghana, Brazil and Nigeria will have two constant, calming and compassionate voices beside them right until the last second.

"Myuran will continue to translate your executioner's words into English for Mary Jane Veloso and Andrew will calm and console. I know that before the sound of your guns the island will hear the comforting whisper of Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan."

I thought this campaign "I stand for mercy" was very powerful.
This really got to me, good on him for starting this and so many people for supporting this, you get it:)

yes at your beckon call I immediately spent 5 hours analysing these posts and that's the only one I found. Must have imagined the whole thing

If you're gonna make outlandish statements like the one you did don't chuck a tanty when someone calls you out on it and asks you to back it up with some proof.

Btw - *beck and call

If you're gonna make outlandish statements like the one you did don't chuck a tanty when someone calls you out on it and asks you to back it up with some proof.

Btw - *beck and call

there's nothing outlandish because it's the gist of the whole thread. And you do this regularly and it's exhausting

there's nothing outlandish because it's the gist of the whole thread. And you do this regularly and it's exhausting

You sprout nonsense regularly too and that is no less exhausting for others

If you genuinely feel that claiming the majority of people on this thread say that drugs aren't a big deal and cause no harm isn't outlandish then you must have an entirely different definition of the word in your head

Kathryn_d called it and she was spot on, the subject is being trivialised to justify the punishment being lessened.... can't see why you can't join the dots on this. Easier just to demand proof and bar charts from me.

Cold Blooded Murderers. As Geoffrey Robertson advised yesterday, financial aid should be stopped and it should be announced in the May budget that it will go to Nepal instead.

Last edited:
This is what Indonesia wants, to get the most out of it politically, and ignore Australia's requests (eg phone calls, announcement of execution on ANZAC day). Its not about drugs, just politics. Australia's response has to be fast and severe or we look like fools trampled on by posturing Indonesian politicians who kill people for their own ends.

This. Spot on.

The question is, what do we do now?

We move on and learn not to foul Indonesian laws or else you get shot?

One day Indonesia may catch up but seems not right now.

That Indonesia went ahead with the executions despite allegations of corruption in the judiciary shows that due process was not followed. The allegations needed to be investigated before the sentence carried out.

This whole thing has become a political show for Indonesia to prove how strong it thinks it is.

This whole thing has become a political show for Indonesia to prove how strong it thinks it is.

Like I said they are way behind, you won't force them.

Just let them know they are waybacks.

The harder you try and tell them what they should do in their own country the harder they will fight back.

ha ha. And if your gran got knocked over during a home invasion and died... same tough justice?

If Andrew Chan imported the drugs and gave it to a supplier who in turn gave it to an addict that was stupid enough to break into my nan's house and caused her to trip and die then I would still wish that he would spend the rest of his life in jail.

Murdering someone doesn't provide justice.

PS my gran doesn't live in Indonesia.

That Indonesia went ahead with the executions despite allegations of corruption in the judiciary shows that due process was not followed. The allegations needed to be investigated before the sentence carried out.

Exaggerated by media?
Also, thats what happens there. That's why you don't become a drug ringlord there and threaten to kill the other 7 members families, or else you get punished severely.

Interesting that the only women to be executed has been spared as someone has come forward with further information on this. Apparently there is proof she may have been set up.

For those appalled about the death penalty, take a note of the countries that still have the death penalty permitted. Some surprises.

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Gambia
Guatemala
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Perhaps because his career is over once he makes an accusation like this? I'm not saying its true. But it's a serious allegation from a credible sorce. And surely you're not suggesting there's no corruption in the Indonesian judicial system... We've all heard the stories.

the source doesn't seem credible to me.
seems like another guy trying to be famous

i'm not suggesting there is no corruption in Indonesia, I'm suggesting that article is total BS

Back