• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
at best Tony abbot is pulling ambassador back(big deal:confused:). what a joke!
What could they have done,DON'T blame MrAbbot or Julia Bishop when you have someone like Joko Widodo DK who several month ago stood up too muslim hardlines to have a Christen Lady appointed into the indonesian parliamentary system,you want to deal in hard drugs in s e asia understand their rules first..

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali...dfolds-as-they-were-shot-20150429-1mvm99.html

In the still night air of Nusakambangan island, condemned prisoners sang Amazing Grace just after midnight. They also sang Bless the Lord O My Soul before their song was cut off by the crack of gunfire.

It was breathtaking. This was the first time I witnessed someone so excited to meet their God.
Pastor Karina de Vega​

As details began to emerge of the final minutes of the group, who included the Bali nine pair Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, it was revealed all eight prisoners rebuffed offers of blindfolds, opting instead to stare at their executioners while they broke out in song.

Pastor Karina de Vega said the voices of all eight members of the group cut through the air.

"They were praising their God," Pastor de Vega said.

"It was breathtaking. This was the first time I witnessed someone so excited to meet their God."

Pastor de Vega said it was the most beautiful experience she had ever had.

"They bonded together," she said. "Brotherhood. They sang one song after another. Praising God. They sang a few songs together, like in a choir.

"The non-Christian, I believe, also sang from his heart. It was such an experience."

Ben Quilty was right, the sound of love, faith, belief and compassion would cut through the still night of the island before the sounds of Widodo's guns ever would.

I have been hearing a lot about how they were reformed characters and deserved a second chance.

If they hadn't been caught would they still have reformed, or would they still be doing it?

..just a thought..

They would still be doing it destroying young & vulnerable peoples lives.
IMO they got what they deserved, there is no high enough punishment for drug traffickers in Australia.

I'm actually disgusted by the support they got by the media and by our elected politicians who chose to support these low life crims....

As long some idiot doesn't ask to hold a minute silence for these two...... not like that stupid politician several years back.

Reactions: BV
I don't get this reformed argument... they were locked up, isn't any low life drug smuggler that is locked up for 10 years reformed by default? It's not like they can keep dong it. And I know these blokes were obviously tools to have done this crime in the first place but only a lunatic would run around saying the first thing want to do when they get out is traffic more heroin? so to pass some time they paint and pick up a woman if given half a chance. So what is the reform?

3/4 of Abbots song and dance is just drawing attention away from bad poles and his cuts and trying to win some popularity back anyway.
l couldn't believe it actually worked . Sometimes we're as dumb as oxes in this country.

Anyway . You go carrying stuff into another country knowing their laws , then there's no point crying if you get caught is there . You'd have to be a moron to even try it over there.
Can't believe the carry on myself .

I don't get this reformed argument... they were locked up, isn't any low life drug smuggler that is locked up for 10 years reformed by default? It's not like they can keep dong it. And I know these blokes were obviously tools to have done this crime in the first place but only a lunatic would run around saying the first thing want to do when they get out is traffic more heroin? so to pass some time they paint and pick up a woman if given half a chance. So what is the reform?

one of the death row guys either in this round or last round continued to run a drug lab from behind bars!

not being able to do any more naughty things doesnt mean reformed, it just means they dont have the means to do it

some people are reform, some people will never change

I find it hard to read the lack of compassion displayed by fellow Australians. Obviously we all have a right to our point of view. I personally felt the executions were a huge injustice and feel that these men were genuinly remorseful and could have contributed more to the world by teaching others of the dangers and consequences of the drug trade than being put to death.

I do not feel anything positive will come of the deaths of these 2 Australians. I feel incredibly sad for their families. They have been served a life sentence and do not think they will ever truly recover from the events of yesterday.

Unfortunatly these 2 young men (only 21 and 24 at the time of their crimes) made some very bad decisions early on in life and paid the ultimate price for their stupidity.

After 10 years in prison reflecting on the bad decisions they made a second chance and opportunity to lead a life helping others would have been sufficient punishment and justice in my eyes.

The spiritual advisor for the Brazilian that was executed yesterday had the following to say. I think this sums up how unjust and tragic this whole execution was. Very sad indeed.

"Father Burrows said before the men were shot they were tied to a white cross.

He said he tried to prepare Gularte for what was going to happen to him but it wasn't until his final moments that the mentally ill prisoner understood he would be executed.

"It was only when they started putting on the chains he said to me `Father, am I being executed?'"

"That was not a very nice moment.

"Then on the cross he was just `what is the point of this ...

"'I made one mistake, why is this happening to me?'"

I find it hard to read the lack of compassion displayed by fellow Australians

I think there is too much compassion from Australians.
Why do we forget the harm these guys have done to other people?
Is their so called reform going to bring back the lives of people who overdosed and died on our streets?

We seem to blame the victim for taking the drugs in the first place and we forget how drug cartels make young kids addicts by promoting and supplying free drugs to our young and vulnerable.

I don't wish anyone to die but these guys actually deserved to die.

We seem to blame the victim for taking the drugs in the first place and we forget how drug cartels make young kids addicts by promoting and supplying free drugs to our young and vulnerable.

absolutey, its the individuals choice

I tried a few soft drugs when I was young, didnt think it was worth it so dont do them. not every drug user was forced to use by the evil dealer when they were 8 years old

if you are going kill someone for dealing drugs, you can expand that view and give harsh punishments to CEOS of alcohol companies,

hypocritical much>?

can we stop with this BS "individual choice" argument?
smuggling drugs in a country with death penalty was also individual choice.

why is it BS? because you dont agree with it?

I wasnt aware that people were strapped down and forced to take drugs,

why is it BS? because you dont agree with it?

I wasnt aware that people were strapped down and forced to take drugs,

because it's not helping your argument as it also applies to these two. i wasn't aware that people get strapped down and forced to organise drug smuggling syndicates.

Indonesia have their laws...respect them.

If you don't like them, don't go.

Nothing will change.
No one is going to give up their cheap holidays.
Government isn't going to change their trade policies.

Get over it, and stop trying to make these 2 men into martyrs.

you are arguing that the two shouldn't have been shot and indonesia shouldn't use death penalty as a punishment

my argument is, (repeadtedly said)

they are free to impose their own laws, however, be consistent, and do it properly.

murder>>>>> any drug crime

execute murderers as well, which they dont all the time

dont ask and expect clemency for indonesians on death row in other countries, which they do have succesffully done as recently as a few weeks ago in the middle east

I certainly agree that Indonesia has been inconsistent and possibly somewhat corrupt in their application of their own laws. This has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also agree that the penalty for drug smuggling is well known in Indonesia as is the punishment. These guys knew that and still decided it was worth the risk, they've now paid the price for loosing that gamble.

All that said, I don't believe the death penalty is right or just. A bullet in the chest is not humane. The previous two paragraphs may (or may not) balance each other out, but this ultimate outcome is simply wrong.

Back