Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"'I made one mistake, why is this happening to me?'"

this was the guy with 6kg of heroin, trafficking it thru a country that openly executes traffickers? yes he certainly made a mistake. I think this bloke claimed to have mental issues tho, so could be an out there.

It was more than just a claim. It was verified by doctors that examined him. The priest who witnessed their executions said it was only when they were tying him to the crucifix that he actually realised what was going on, despite it obviously being explained to him numerous times before then. According to Indonesian law, he should not have even been in prison, let alone executed. They were meant to keep him in a psychiatric hospital instead.

different drugs are produced in different regions
there is no locally produced heroin or cocaine in australia so those two get imported, as well as ice and meth.

plenty of weed is grown in australia so people decide to export it

They are not extremely strict with drugs they are extremely corrupt with drugs.

You can't walk 5m in parts of Bali without being offered every drug under the sun. That has been going on for decades, every body knows about it, if they were strict that would be cleaned up. It's all about collecting bribery money.

Indonesia is a highway for drugs from Asia into Australia , killing these two is a warning to others other from the major cartel in town ( The Govt) pay your "licence" fees or suffer the consequences. Preventing the trafficking of drugs has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The way the Aust Gov't went about the negotiations could only end in one result, terribly handled. It's all about saving face, once we mentioned the aid and got their backs up these two were as good as dead. If we had kept quite paid some more "aid" and let them take the high moral ground they would still be alive.

They are strict and corrupt about drugs

There are lots of undercover police offering drugs to bogans in an attempt to catch them. Obviously not hard drugs as we would have heard about them

Also. Money talks . So you could bribe your way out of minor offences plus i was pulled over for no helmet on my scooter by police and they asked for $20 bribe pretty much straight up. I refused and after a bit of to and fro they let me go. So even the police are corrupt

As for strictness. Any country that executes someone for a few grams of druga (as per the law) is very strict in my eyes

I don't agree with the death penalty.

That said, drug trafficking is not a mistake. Running over a dog with your car is a mistake. When you traffic drugs, you mean to do it.

To be fair the one who said it was a mistake was mentally ill and according to his pastor didn't realise he was being executed until the he was walking to the firing line.

Mary Jane Veloso.

This is a perfect example why the death penalty is a joke. If she had been executed on Tuesday as planned you would all be saying how she got what she deserved and good riddance. Now it turns out she was set up after the ring leader came forward.

Mary Jane Veloso.

This is a perfect example why the death penalty is a joke. If she had been executed on Tuesday as planned you would all be saying how she got what she deserved and good riddance. Now it turns out she was set up after the ring leader came forward.

there is a big difference. these two were the ring leaders. not a single person questioned their guilt, all the fuss is because people think the punishment is too harsh.

different drugs are produced in different regions
there is no locally produced heroin or cocaine in australia so those two get imported, as well as ice and meth.

plenty of weed is grown in australia so people decide to export it

Strannik you are embarrassing yourself. Once again you're making statements of fact that are completely false. No ice/meth labs in Australia? - open the newspaper or watch the news. They find them everyday.

there is a big difference. these two were the ring leaders. not a single person questioned their guilt, all the fuss is because people think the punishment is too harsh.

It was general comment about the death penalty.

You can never only execute people that are 100% guilty because there is no such thing as 100% guilty. Contributing factors in every case. Mary Veloso was a low level drug importer just like everyone who gets busted.

Ringleaders you call them? What a joke, a ringleader of an international drug syndicate at ages 21 and 24. Go back and look into the case, the ringleaders are living free in Australia. Probably still doing it.

Strannik you are embarrassing yourself. Once again you're making statements of fact that are completely false. No ice/meth labs in Australia? - open the newspaper or watch the news. They find them everyday.

i think you are the one who is embarrassing yourself showing that you cannot even master a simple task of comprehension. where did i ever said there are no meth labs in australia? :rolleyes:

i suggest you open a newspaper and look how many ice imports get busted

Mary Jane Veloso.

You're very foolish.
Thhat's why she was given clemency ans wasn't exectuted which only goes to show that their system does work.
Hers was the only case which had question marks surrounding it and why today she isn't riddled with bullet holes.

The others didn't have any questions surrounding their guilt, they probably did well to get another 10 years out of their lives.

Ringleaders you call them? What a joke, a ringleader of an international drug syndicate at ages 21 and 24. Go back and look into the case, the ringleaders are living free in Australia. Probably still doing it.

yes they are the ring leaders. they were the ones who recruited the other 7 out of 9, and they were the ones organising the whole thing. that falls under definition of ring leader.

this is also most likely the reason why the two got death penalty and the other people got jail time.

the fact that they had their own bosses is irrelevant.

the bali 2 didn't care either... took the names of their bosses to the grave. didn't care about anyone but their immediate interests.

Well, if the death penalty was an actual deterrent, then of course they would have given up those names.

So much for that idea...

Well, if the death penalty was an actual deterrent, then of course they would have given up those names.

So much for that idea...

sorry don't follow the logic. You can't undo your crime if that's what you are suggesting? the point is I hear about this incredible reform program that the 2 underwent, what was the program exactly? It can't have been too successful as they wouldn't even give up the basic detail of who their boss was, so we know there was at least one person that popped champagne when the bullets flew.

It's weird that someone else said that paedophiles should be executed because they can't help themselves, shouldn't it be the other way round? If you can't help yourself you are sick. These two scum chose the greedy path, then boo hood when they got caught and thought 'oh cmon guys you didn't really mean that death penalty thing did you?'. Help you out with some names... nah mate, got some painting to do

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...|heading|homepage|homepage&itmt=1430442860503

here you go. the school already promotes these two as heroes.

wonder how many of the school kids will end up drug dealers/smugglers

it's sort of in the Aussie psyche tho right? Ned Kelly, waltzing matilda, chopper etc. These 2 x crooks have become the underdog, righteous to the end, demonstrating bravery and courage in the face of adversity, they are the lil' aussie battlers that gave it a go and were crushed by the system and we can relate to them. Now we give them an outpouring of national grief and wish them RIP, rather than say burn in hell. funny old world.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...|heading|homepage|homepage&itmt=1430442860503

What a joke. That's exactly what happens we you use such an extreme punishment. It takes all the attention away from the crime and puts it onto the barbaric act of vengeance. If they got life in prison this sort of rubbish would never have happened. Another good reason why the death penalty is counterproductive.

it's sort of in the Aussie psyche tho right? Ned Kelly, waltzing matilda, chopper etc. .

Maybe if Ned Kelly -- Mad Dog Morgan and various others from the start of hero worship in Australia had started robbing rich opium dens that were around at the time instead of robbing Cobb-and Co stage coaches which were over insured and under weight in Gold ,,history would have been more less kind to them..

Hopefully, if their parents are even half engaged with their kids and talk openly about such things they might encounter in life, the kids might make the right decisions.

Of course; there are no guarantees they will do this.

We discuss these sorts of things with our kids all the time.

I had a conversation 2 nights ago with my 13 year old about something as seemingly unimportant as how you handle being pulled over by the cops as a "P"-plater...your attitude, your dialogue and so forth (we were watching Gold Coast Cops briefly - what a disgrace we humans are when you see what is aired on those shows).

Victims and losers see cops as the enemy. They are doing a job; it is our responsibility to obey laws, and so on. If you break the law and they pull you over - or even if you are doing everything right - cop it on the chin and don't be a d!ck.

Drugs, sex, even how to handle bullying, cyber-bullying, break-ups with girlfriends, fall-outs with friends and so forth.

I mean; how frickin' hard is it?

It is not only rewarding as a parent, but it's fun, and it's also our responsibility.

Our son comes out of these discussions with a really good frame of min d, and often a load off his sensitive shoulders.

Back