Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which bit do you disagree with?

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic and am comfortable with what I wrote.

You have not looked at this then

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

I have been watching documentary specifically on prisoners in US on death row.

This is the one that got my attention, there are others, if you think it cant happen you are wrong

http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/index.ssf/2012/01/joe_dambrosio_finally_free_spe.html

did dead foreign nationals from Holland said:
them[/U]

Problem: Solved

I hope not, but that would be seriously silly.

We are talking about death penalty as a deterrent, evidence posted, and the fact that it continues to happen tells me that it really aint working too well.
Indonesia can continue to execute but it has not stopped people smuggling drugs, so 20 years on and well here we are:rolleyes:

I think we need to respect Indonesian law, but there is no escaping the great human tragedy being played out. As I said nothing can make the impending executions anything but barbaric.

execute criminals, eventually you run out of criminals

Problem: solved
icon14.gif

...but there is no escaping the great human tragedy being played out. As I said nothing can make the impending executions anything but barbaric.

what tragedy, the execution?? if so, this is not tragedy, rather a triumph for anyone that loves their friends and family.

Disheartening how many support this massively disproportionate penalty.

Indonesia is two faced, they don't care too much about stopping death by drugs, they have the highest smoking rates in the world and allow advertising and sales of cigarettes to children outside schools. As a result over 300,000 Indonesians die every year from tobacco, dwarfing heroin.

Disheartening how many support this massively disproportionate penalty.
I think part of this mentality is folks are so fed-up with criminals getting slaps on the wrists in this Country for serious crimes, repeat offenders who aren't allowed to have their previous history of offending presented in the current case at hand - and so on - that folks are just wanting to scream out; "ENOUGH!!! PUNISH THESE A-HOLES".

Probably callous, but noone forced them to traffic drugs in a Country that will kill you for doing it.

Let's keep this in perspective too; they only stopped because they got caught.

Indonesia is two faced, they don't care too much about stopping death by drugs, they have the highest smoking rates in the world and allow advertising and sales of cigarettes to children outside schools. As a result over 300,000 Indonesians die every year from tobacco, dwarfing heroin.
You can't legislate for idiots, and they can't legislate either, it would seem.

Gives me even less of an urge to ever go there.

Last edited:
I think part of this mentality is folks are so fed-up with criminals getting slaps on the wrists in this Country for serious crimes, repeat offenders who aren't allowed to have their previous history of offending presented in the current case at hand - and so on - that folks are just wanting to scream out; "ENOUGH!!! PUNISH THESE A-HOLES".

Probably callous, but noone forced them to traffic drugs in a Country that will kill you for doing it.

Let's keep this in perspective too; they only stopped because they got caught.

You can't legislate for idiots, and they can't legislate either, it would seem.

Gives me even less of an urge to ever go there.

You call life in prisonment for drugs as a slap on the wrist! ?!?!?!?

No one is arguing these two should get off Released and given a medal

If they had done that in australia they would probably have got 8 yrs jail

These two extremes shows that either aus is way too soft or indonesia is too strict

Were not talking murder here,

And before you get into the enotional argument of they might as well have put the needle themselves into a dead drug user, they didnt. You could use that argument for cigarette, alcohol, marijuana dealers ie ceos of cigarette companies

But in the big picture this is a forum.

We don't support this in Australia, because its barbaric.

а) it's not barbaric. locking someone away for life is by far more barbaric than humanely ending their life. on same topic euthanasia should be legal.
b) i'm not so sure about 'we don't support bit' either. opinion polls show there is quite significant support of capital punishment in australia, even though it is dropping.

i actually think that for drug dealers caught with heavy drugs like heroine, ice etc the appropriate punishment would be to take all the drugs found with them, and make them inject it all in one go.

at the same time recreational drugs should be put in same category is alcohol and tobacco.

а) it's not barbaric. locking someone away for life is by far more barbaric than humanely ending their life. on same topic euthanasia should be legal.
b) i'm not so sure about 'we don't support bit' either. opinion polls show there is quite significant support of capital punishment in australia, even though it is dropping.

Poll is just that..... a poll, meaningless really.

Australia abolished capital punishment in 1985.

MTR

Re-read my post, ie polls, as I said they are just polls, I think there is a poll practically every day of week on just about anything and everything, means nothing at the end of the day.

Agree or disagree is irrelevant we don't have it in Australia.

Because the death penalty is a violation of the most fundamental universal
human right ? the right to life.

Because the death penalty is a barbaric, brutal, cruel, degrading,
inhumane and uncivilized form of punishment ? incarceration of offenders
protects the innocents from the dangerous.

Because the death penalty is fallible ? the possibility of error of
judgement can never be excluded ? innocent/wrongly convicted
people have been executed in the past.

Because the death penalty is extremely corruptible ? some death row
prisoners are ?chosen/selected? to be executed, while others are not.

Because the death penalty is overwhelmingly biased and discriminative
against the disadvantaged, the poor, the uneducated, the mentally ill, the
mentally retarded, child offenders, political opponents, racial, ethnic and
religious minorities, individuals deemed by governments to be
?troublesome? and offenders who commit non-violent crimes.

Because the death penalty has a brutalizing effect on the community,
actually inspiring more acts of violence and copycat crimes - thereby
diminishing rather than increasing the deterrent effect.

Because the use of the death penalty creates more victims in society ? the
innocent family members and loved ones of the executed offenders.

Imagine if it's your brother facing the execution squad, living in fear every single night that their door will be broken down and they will be spirited away to the island. Imagine if it's your brother who's tried his darndest to reform, repent, change themselves and be a good role model and do good for others. Imagine if it's your brother who's so clean of drugs, he refuses to take even Valium to help him sleep on those sleepless nights.

If he's your brother, wouldn't you want him to be spared of the firing squad and given another chance at life?

The Koran describes intoxicants as the key to all evils, the most terrible or major sins and prohibits their use.

Its not a coincidence that most of the countries actively pursuing the death penalty - with the standout exceptions being China and US - happen to be Muslims??

MTR

You call life in prisonment for drugs as a slap on the wrist! ?!?!?!?
You have not comprehended my post.

Indonesia is a Country that does not issue slaps on the wrists or icecreams and a back rub to criminals....

Australia does that.

Back