• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Having been caught arrested tried and sentenced, there is no further presumption in favour of the criminal

Rehabilitation, is not relevant to the sentence.
Opinion, likewise

I'd like to see 2 polls:

1. Assume you are the Australian Federal Police. Would you dob the traffickers in to the Indonesia authorities? Yes/No

2. Again assume you are the Australian Federal Police. Would you dob the traffickers in to the Indonesia authorities if one of the traffickers is a loved one? Yes/No

I think some people would have no problem saying yes to # 1. However #2 would be interesting. Well, who would like to see a loved one get executed? Do we put our principles first and our hearts second?

Reactions: dex
I was in the 'no mercy' camp.
Not any more. What happened in the past is past. We should focus on the future. Imagine the benefits those prisons will have if these two continue their work. Imagine how much our school kids would benefit if they come and share their experience!

I was in the 'no mercy' camp.
Not any more. What happened in the past is past. We should focus on the future. Imagine the benefits those prisons will have if these two continue their work. Imagine how much our school kids would benefit if they come and share their experience!

Nothing works.

Education and information doesn't work.
Harsh sentences don't work.
Giving second and multiple chances doesn't work.

Drugs are a way of life for many people.
Nothing...NOTHING, any good, comes from it.

The only thing that will come from the death of these 2 individuals, they will never be the carrier of drugs again.

No you misunderstood the graph (though I suppose there's not much description on it). It's normalised on a per user basis, nothing to do with usage, legality or illegality. Alcohol is more dangerous to other people than heroin (red) though heroin, crack and meth are more dangerous to the user than alcohol (blue)

in that case I just dismiss it entirely as nonsense, what a complete load of rubbish

You've been living in the snow too long and have ice running through your veins. I bet your eyes are cold and lifeless too. It must be awful not to feel any compassion for another human being. I pity you.

cold and lifeless is more apt to describe the state of the corpses that result from filthy drug dealings

Nothing works.

Education and information doesn't work.
Harsh sentences don't work.
Giving second and multiple chances doesn't work.

Drugs are a way of life for many people.
Nothing...NOTHING, any good, comes from it.

The only thing that will come from the death of these 2 individuals, they will never be the carrier of drugs again.

You got a reference for this? That nothing works?

http://assets.justice.vic.gov.au/co...904d/who_returns_to_prison1.doc#_Toc153612465

Tells us that approx a third of prisoners return to prison after two years. This tapers off as time goes by.

Interestingly drug offenders are less likely to return than violent offenders.

The people who cause the pain are the addicts. They know what they are getting themselves in for the first time they make the decision to poison themselves. Without the demand, there is no need for supply. They roll the dice and they are not much different to the smugglers really.

If they take drugs, face the consequences and stop trying to blame other people for your misfortune. They know the risks. Play with fire for long enough and they will get burned.
Exactly.

There is so much education freely available about the horrors of drug addiction and how they ruin peoples' lives, yet folks still take them..

You can add a whole bunch of other categories into that too of course;

Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving
Drink/drug driving
Speeding (and a combo of the above)
Smoking
Too much alcohol

And so on.

they stopped being human beings when they started behaving like animals

So are you saying that they have stopped behaving like animals and started behaving like human beings again since they did the following things? : -

"Both Chan and Sukumaran, organisers of the Bali nine heroin smuggling syndicate, have reformed in prison, helping hundreds of Indonesian inmates and instigating numerous vocational and drug counselling classes".

Sukumaran runs art classes, computer classes, t-shirt printing classes for inmates. Chan is heavily involved in pastoral care for prisoners.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/grim...complete-jokowi-resolute-20150228-13rkc3.html

Exactly.

There is so much education freely available about the horrors of drug addiction and how they ruin peoples' lives, yet folks still take them..

You can add a whole bunch of other categories into that too of course;

Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving
Drink/drug driving
Speeding (and a combo of the above)
Smoking
Too much alcohol

And so on.

Exactly.

I wished it did work.

Look at SS. How many here are doing illegal drugs?
They keep trying to justifying it by saying, it's not hurting anyone, I'm not addicted, etc.

Bali nine executions: Governor of Jakarta urges president to reconsider death penalty

Opposition to capital punishment within Indonesia is mounting, with the Governor of Jakarta now urging President Joko Widodo to commute the death sentences of reformed drug felons to life imprisonment.

The increasing pressure comes as the Attorney-General confirmed to Fairfax Media that Bali nine ringleaders Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan would not be moved from Bali's Kerobokan jail this weekend.

Jakarta Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama (popularly known as Ahok) told the president he thought death sentences should be changed to life imprisonment without remission.

"I don't support capital punishment. In order to give a deterrent effect it should be life sentence without remission," newswire Jpnn.com quoted him saying at a speech at the Pondok Bambu prison in Jakarta on Saturday.

Ahok was the running mate of Mr Joko in the 2012 Jakarta gubernatorial election.

He said if a convict truly wanted to change he must be given a chance to live.

"Let he who lives in prison and becomes a good person guide someone who just enters the prison to be a good person too", he said. "So there is one life that can be used to make another realise his mistakes. This is better than executing him", Mr Ahok said.

He said it would take a government regulation to change Indonesia's policy.

Lawyers and supporters of Chan and Sukumaran have been urging the president to take into account their reformation during their 10 years in jail.

The men have instigated a number of rehabilitative and vocational programs in the jail including cooking, art, life-saving, philosophy, sewing and computer graphics classes.

The Indonesian Bishops Conference (KWI) called on Mr Joko to reconsider his decision to proceed with the executions.

"Apart from moral considerations, we deem the death penalty ineffective and inhuman," Pastor P.C. Siswantoko, the executive secretary of the KWI's Commission for Justice and Peace, said at a discussion on Friday.

"This is extraordinarily vicious, to make someone wait for death instead of freedom."

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali...reconsider-death-penalty-20150301-13rr9a.html

Look at SS. How many here are doing illegal drugs?

They keep trying to justifying it by saying, it's not hurting anyone, I'm not addicted, etc.
never thought of this place as the hangout for frackwits.

I've never done any illegal drugs or weed, and never smoked (I find other ways to be a frackwit :D).

Just the usual too many grogs from time to time.

Speaking of that; it's wine o'clock. ;)

I've never done any illegal drugs or weed, and never smoked (I find other ways to be a frackwit :D).

Haha lucky you're not living in prohibition times when alcohol was illegal. America has enacted laws to legalize marijuana in 23 states so I guess it can't be too bad.

Haha lucky you're not living in prohibition times when alcohol was illegal. America has enacted laws to legalize marijuana in 23 states so I guess it can't be too bad.

This was part of the arguments used before, by both sides

XXX is bad even though its legal
YYY is good but its illegal

both are wrong

legality is irrelevant

drugs are bad,
users are idiots,
sellers are the worst kind of criminals,
ESP. the corporations that make the legal ones

You pick up a lot thru random conversations here.

Yes, using a crime ridden country, with a huge drug problem should be put on a pedestal.

They don't refer to it as "dope" because it makes you smart.

The government is taking the path "If you can't beat them, you might as well join them'...and collecting money from the sales.

Ok so Bayview is an idiot because he uses drugs (alcohol)?
There was a poll on here awhile back and I think 75% of posters on this forum drink alcohol so I guess they're all idiots too?

Ok so Bayview is an idiot because he uses drugs (alcohol)?
There was a poll on here awhile back and I think 75% of posters on this forum drink alcohol so I guess they're all idiots too?

That' not my call.

There was a news clip this week about Australia having one of the highest alcohol consumption per capita....and a lot of that excess consumption reeks havoc on families.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Edit....I think this is the one they are referring to
http://grogwatch.adf.org.au/2015/02/alcohol-in-the-news-7/

Back