Ballarat - transportation around town

Hi, I'd like to buy an investment property in Ballarat at some point - I'm just researching at the moment. As a non driving city dweller living in Melbourne CBD I'd like to know, how far is too far to travel to the Ballarat Central ( Sturt St) and the train station for your run of the mill renter in Ballarat .

My husband and I are thinking of renting in Ballarat next year and our priorities would be a place that is within walking distance to the city and station. But if we were to buy an investment property I think we're probably in the minority, I assume most people would drive?

Can anyone shed some light on this please? What's the public transport like?
Before you suggest I check it out myself, I am going this week- just like a bit of a heads up before hand :)

Thanks!

Hi champas,
Ballarat has two rail stations (the central one and another opened some years back at Wendouree). There is a bus network run by the Davis company. You can pick up a book with all the timetables at the station (the book cost $1 in 2009). If you are travelling to and from Melbourne your train ticket also includes travel on the Ballarat buses.
A number of suburbs are in walking distance of the station (Ballarat Central and Soldiers' Hill are the closest to the main station and very popular but walking from a number of others is also doable). Cycling is another option for those without a car. There is a cycle cage at the station for commuters.
Regards,
Ballaratian

Thanks for your help Ballaratian. I'm just thinking way ahead, getting ahead of myself about investment properties in Ballarat. Everything looks so close on the map, I'll have to check out for myself how close or far places are.

I take from your name you are from Ballarat? What is your opinion on Ballarat East? It seems that houses are a little cheaper on that side of town...

Everything is reasonably close. I grew up in Ballarat and rode my bicycle all over town. From Mount Rowan to Sebas took about 30 minutes.

Local public transport is essentially by bus. There's a major hub in the centre of the city and a few other interchanges here and there, but most people drive.

Price is a reasonable indication of the quality of an area in Ballarat. The cheaper areas do have a lower socio-economic basis, the wealthy people live in the wealthy areas. There's opportunities right across the spectrum but just understand what your strategy is.

Back