Basic truths about money

The following list is paraphrased from an article by Michael Lannon that I have had stuck to my cupboard door for the last 6 years. I read through it about once a week and talk my way through each point, arguing or confirming different points mentioned. A lot of the points people will disagree with, but that is a good thing, as at least it makes you think about it and decide why you do or don't agree with it.

- Nobody cares as much about my money as I do.

- There is no single best investment. The only way I can hope to be in the right investment is to diversify.

- Timing is all but impossible, at least for the likes of me. The only way I can hope to be in the right investment at the right time is to use dollar cost averaging or regular investing.

- It doesn't pay to sweat the small stuff. Time is money.

- Superannuation, next to my home, is the most important investment I will make in my lifetime. Paying attention to superannuation early will ensure that the miracle of compound interest will provide a comfortable retirement.

- Paying commissions and high management fees on investments when I do not have to is a waste of money and will seriously affect my long-term returns and thus my wealth.

- Knowledge is power. It is okay to seek assistance but I don't place blind faith in someone who receives commissions on my investments. When seeking advice I pay a professional fee for that advice.

- The old proverb 'health is better than wealth' is true.

- Nothing is forever - not real estate or other investments, not jobs, not tax breaks, not shortages.

- For me, plain-vanilla investments offer the best return. I don't have time to reasearch and monitor the very tricky and complicated ones so I'm much more likely to lose money in them.

- Whether it's life, health or property coverage, any insurance for any loss I could afford to take on my own is a waste of money.

- Disposability is a substitute for quality. However, it is seldom a morally defensible choice, given the state of the planet.

- Except for food, I don't need most of the stuff I buy, but that's okay, as long as I don't kid myself that I do. In making a purchasing decision it helps to know what I would actually be getting for my money: novelty, status or something that will materially improve my life.

- My home may be my best investment, but it is a lot of trouble. I don't have to repaint my socks every five years.

- Unless absolutely essential, borrowing to buy a depreciating asset is dumb.

- If I live within my means by a wide enough margin, budgeting is unnecessary.

- I need not feel guilty when I neglect my personal finances because of the demands of my job. I have probably earned a higher return on the energy that I have invested in my career than I would have if I had spent that energy tinkering with my investments, filling out my own tax returns and so forth.

- Despite all appearances, very few people of my acquaintance know what they are doing when it comes to investments, superannuation or taxes. This is reassuring.

BR

Bloody brilliant. I really like this one.

"- It doesn't pay to sweat the small stuff. Time is money"

How true. Like Trump says .."If youre going to swing, swing big, theres probably not a great deal of difference between being $1,000,000 in the hole compared to $250,000.

RJ

Great post, BR. Really gets you thinking.

Bantam Roosta said:
Whether it's life, health or property coverage, any insurance for any loss I could afford to take on my own is a waste of money.

The whole point of insurance is that you don’t know what the costs are going to be. Even if it’s something I can afford, I’d rather have insurance. e.g. a fence falls down in a storm and it costs me $1,000 to fix. I can afford it, but I’d rather have insurance in place, because the fence could have fallen on a car or something. If you decide to save on insurance for everything, you’ll end up paying more than you think exactly in those unlikely events.

Bantam Roosta said:
need not feel guilty when I neglect my personal finances because of the demands of my job. I have probably earned a higher return on the energy that I have invested in my career than I would have if I had spent that energy tinkering with my investments, filling out my own tax returns and so forth.

I disagree. Few people ever get to the point where their job will make them rich. There is a much better chance of becoming wealthy from ‘tinkering’ with investments than building a career. With a job, most of your effort is wasted (repetitive tasks, etc) and only a small part is ‘retained’ (what you learn, the contacts you make, etc). With investing, much more is retained, mainly because all the profits are yours (losses, too, of course). To me, my investments are more important than my job because it’s more likely to help me achieve my goals.

Bantam Roosta said:
Despite all appearances, very few people of my acquaintance know what they are doing when it comes to investments, superannuation or taxes. This is reassuring.

Reassuring, maybe. Dangerous, though. I would prefer people around me to know a lot about investing, etc because otherwise I’d get complacent thinking I was doing ok. You want to learn from people who know, not take comfort in the fact that you’re better than the financially inept. That’s how most people end up stuck ‘but I’m better than so-and-so’ and don’t bother doing anything.
Alex

Bantam Roosta said:
- Timing is all but impossible, at least for the likes of me. The only way I can hope to be in the right investment at the right time is to use dollar cost averaging or regular investing.

Most important point.. Alot of people tend to focus on whats happening now and don't have a long time view

Buy as much as you can and hold it for as long as possible.

it's also very freeing when you realise that money is only a concept - it's not real.

p.s. ... okay, before you all jump up and down about a few measely dollars of cash money, i'm talking about the hundreds of thousands of dollars i shift around in cyberspace each year and never physically touch.

A lot of these really resonate with me, but my favourite ones are:
Bantam Roosta said:
- Nobody cares as much about my money as I do.

- It doesn't pay to sweat the small stuff. Time is money.

- The old proverb 'health is better than wealth' is true.

- For me, plain-vanilla investments offer the best return. I don't have time to reasearch and monitor the very tricky and complicated ones so I'm much more likely to lose money in them.

- Despite all appearances, very few people of my acquaintance know what they are doing when it comes to investments, superannuation or taxes. This is reassuring.
I really have to focus on not sweating the small stuff. If the market drops one day, I go 'oh no, I've lost $x', even though I know I'm in it for the long haul and that falls are all part of the adventure.

Also reminding myself that most people out there have less of a clue then me, which is scary, but it reminds me that I can do an awful lot if I think about it long enough.

BR

Bantam Roosta said:
- My home may be my best investment, but it is a lot of trouble. I don't have to repaint my socks every five years.

BR

Reminded me of last week. I have to wear safety toe footwear at work.They are murder on the toes of socks. I think I have one pair without holes.Ever so often I sit down and mend them. I said to my hubby "This must be how the millionaires get rich"

Ever so often I sit down and mend them. I said to my hubby "This must be how the millionaires get rich"

Darnit, Kathryn that is 'zacly what I thought on Saturday just gone....was grocery shopping & bought all my generic brand ingredients to make meals from scratch instead of brand made pre-prepared....:D

Last edited:
Back