Basics of buying a business?

Hi All,

I tried googling this but nothing really appeared other than advertising etc.

I just want to know the process of buying a business.

So i find a business or franchise i like. What happens? How much equity do you need? Or is it better to raise the cash yourself? Then there is the costs of finding a building, rents, a lease, etc etc. How does all this work? What is the "process" or steps that people take?

But i hear of investors also owning a business as well as property etc. I wanted to know how they did that?

Buying a business yourself or do people hire people to do all the work for them?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

You might get a business you can run from home. Don't get ahead of yourself.

The franchisor will help you with a commercial premises if you go down that road.

I suggest you get advice outside of a property forum for this particular topic.

Don't forget the option of building a business from scratch either.
You could start with a very small amount and end up with a business worth a mil or 2 in a few short years if you make the right moves.

My 2c worth

HA! beat me to it HandyAndy. ;)

The first step to buying any business is to be able to read the financials on offer from the Vendor via the agent.

All businesses have to provide these when they are being sold, and the general rule is the last 3 years' trading. These are usually accountant's statements, so you can't believe everything you read. I always ask for the last 3 years tax returns when we get closer to the serious stage. If the Vendor won't supply these; I'm walkin'.

My suggestion is to start asking the agents for the financials for a number of businesses - any business will do, but the type you are interested in buying is better. This will give you practice in seeing what's going on. The more you do; the quicker and better you will get at reading the figures and assessing whether the business is right for your purposes and profitable. I have read literally hundreds of these over the past few years. It's boring at first, but must be done, and it gets easier.

If you can't analyse these, you are in big danger of buying a dud that is hidden inside a glossy cover of numbers.

What you need to be able to acertain from the figures is how much you are going to have left over FOR YOU after every single expense has been accounted for - including rent, GST payments to the Gubbmint, loan repayments, wages, equipment loans (if any), utilities etc.

Basically; the nett business profit after tax. Some owners include their wage in the wage expense. This is actually good for you; part of the business expense which would take away from your wage is already covered in this figure, so if the nett profit after all this is healthy, then you are on the right track.

I get nervous when I see no wage for the owner, and the profit is low. It is a fair bet that they are either going broke, or are skimming lots of cash out. Now, this is fine, but they can't have their cake and eat it - you can't ask for high dollars while the business is showing no profit. And, the owner won't be able to prove they are taking out lots of cash. This happens a lot; the agent says there is a lot of cash going out, but so what? I ask for proof, and of course; it can't be done.

For me; the criteria must be that if I can't pull out at least $100k for me each year after the official figures, then why bother? You are taking all the risks, managing staff and so on - why go through all that grief for just an average wage or less? You may as well go work in a bottle shop or something and have no responsibility. Now, when I say $100k; this is based on the level I'm playing at right now. For me, the next level up (double the asking price and turnover etc) will have to return a fair bit more of course.

Even though they are costly, if you have had no experience in buying a business, I suggest using a good business lawyer to guide you through. I can PM you the details of my guy if you wish - very good, but not cheap.

It is adviseable to also have an accountant and an MB who are conversant in business to help you as well.

Next, go visit the business and observe what the volume of traffic is like. Sit out front at all different times and simply watch what goes on.

Check out the location of other competitiors and their size - impact on your business.

Have an exclusion clause added into the Contract that prohibits the Vendor from setting up business down the road for a good number of years. It is easy to get 10 years and 10km's minimum for this.

Lease length must be at least 15 years - 5x5x5. Banks are loath to lend on less at the moment. You need time to get a return on your money if they decide to not renew your lease for some reason.

You need very good insurance to cover the business and yourself.

The contentious issue in what the asking price should be is how many times nett profit as the asking price. To me; 2 times nett profit is enough. I see businesses asking 5 times! Now, if you are borrowing the entire amount (most people will be) on 5 times nett profit, there would be very little left over to feed yourself after all expenses.

Now is a good time to buy businesses. Why? Because Banks aren't lending on them - noone can get finance, so there are no buyers out there.

Expect that the Banks will offer you no more than 50% of the funds to buy right now, so you will need other equity (in property) or cash to buy something.

This is good for you; you can offer lower to get the figures to where you need them to be.

Don't be afraid to offer low. A business came up for sale here in Dromana a couple of weeks ago - asking $215k plus $50k of stock. I spotted it a week or so ago, but by the time I looked at it an offer for $190k was in, and had been accepted by the owner who is retiring.

The agent was away on hols when I heard of the offer, and informed me yesterday after coming back to work that this deal has fallen over as the purchaser cannot get finance. I am going to be offering $200k for the lot including the stock.

The owner takes a wage of $60k per year and it is fully managed. He works one day per month. That's not bad; a ROI of 30% if he accepts the offer.

Last edited:
Hi BV

Thats the issue with almost all the deals that come across my table.............why would you...........buy something that barely replaces your PAYG income, with the busload of attendant risk ?

At that point i have 2 options with my clients

1. Arrange the finance and take the mandate and the comm.........or

2. Ask, do u know that these romantic notions of this fab franchise probably wont be so in 6 mths time ?

ta
rolf

great post BV. Hey Joice, you seem like you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Don't underestimate your potential. Very few have that at your age.

What I'd add to the good advice above:

- do a bookkeeping course that includes how to use myob or quicken. this will hold you in good stead for whatever you do in the future. anyone in small business needs to know how to read an income statement and balance sheet. It honestly isn't that hard or time consuming if you get taught by a good teacher.

- get out and talk to people who have businesses. join your local chamber of commerce and start to mingle with those people. they are usually small and medium sized business people, and you are better hanging out with them, learning, and listening, than going to nightclubs. If they see you as really self motivated, it might be the avenue to get a better job.

- go talk to a lions or rotary club or similar organization. They usually have very ethical good characters there, many retired, who could give you a lot of good advice for free about business and help steer you in what to do in life and business. The whole mentor protege relationship thing has broken down a lot these days, and it is such a valuable thing.

- When starting a business, you can avoid a lot of pitfalls by doing something you already know about. why? there's a hell of a lot to learn when you start a business. it is better that you already know the seasonality, customer behavior, competition, suppliers, etc.

- for your first business, try and make it something you are really really passionate about. why? because when you are working back to 10pm for a few weeks in a row sorting cr@p out, it won't tire you as much. in my view the most important trait for running a business is passion and commitment to what the business does. the second is to have good health and energy levels. with those two, you can climb out of holes you couldn't otherwise. though you want to aim to ease back from the business after 2-3 years and work normal hours. but many start ups require the extra time.

- if you are going to go into something with a partner, make 110% sure they are in the same ballpark with the same commitment. see a good lawyer and accountant to set things up. Succession planning is important before you start as well.

I don't know what you want to do but if you want to talk to professionals in Toowoomba, we use an accountant at McConachie Stedman who we trust. When you are a clearer, they may be able to guide you on local resources.

And remember if you are good enough, you are old enough. :)
You are never too young to get up and have a go.
The world will always need self starters because there are so many people who are not.

Not to put anyone off but as I commercial agent I always advise first timers the scary statistic that up to 90% of businesses fail wiithin 3 years.

Being under a franchise will substantially reduce those risks, however, you will need to understand what you are buying into and the contractual arrangements that you will be forced to comply with.

Just have a look at SMH with regards to what Wendy's Head Franchise did to its franchisees.

There are organisations that can help you with the sort of stuff.

Send through a PM if you need more info.

I have been my own boss for decades so have a little experience.

In general I would not advise anyone to go look for a business. It must find you. You must have the passion and knowledge to gain an advantage otherwise you are better of following the more conventional route. It is certainly "socially" easier to do so. Small business is often lonely and the responsibility that you must solve all your own problems can get you down.

I have been my own boss for decades so have a little experience.

In general I would not advise anyone to go look for a business. It must find you. You must have the passion and knowledge to gain an advantage otherwise you are better of following the more conventional route. It is certainly "socially" easier to do so. Small business is often lonely and the responsibility that you must solve all your own problems can get you down.

Have to disagree.

Businesses won't find you - at least not existing ones - unless you are actively looking for one to buy.

Only then will the right one present itself.

Not to put anyone off but as I commercial agent I always advise first timers the scary statistic that up to 90% of businesses fail wiithin 3 years.

Being under a franchise will substantially reduce those risks, however, you will need to understand what you are buying into and the contractual arrangements that you will be forced to comply with.

Just have a look at SMH with regards to what Wendy's Head Franchise did to its franchisees.

There are organisations that can help you with the sort of stuff.

Send through a PM if you need more info.

Most businesses that are start-ups are the ones that fail in 3 years - not existing ones.

I agree that franchises can be a safer option, but if you are buying an existing business, with a proven track record of turnover and profits for a number of years, then there is a good deal of safety in this.

Of course; there are numerous other outside factors which will affect the business's ongoing viability as I mentioned above - other competition etc, and it is up to the buyer to do some DD before hand.

Have to disagree.
Not for the first time. :)

But I'll stick to my story.

A mate of mine was selling his business once and a couple of prospects got too hung up in accountant's figures, looking for fraud, looking for nits with a fine toothed comb, that they let a good opportunity pass. Had they known the industry or the franchise they would have bought. After all, my mate had become a millionaire while owning it and I know his figures would have been true blue: He wasn't a tax cheat.

He had so much free cash in the biz he said he could survive a year without sales. He did have a slump one year so he bought an M3 with his tax return.

Most businesses that are start-ups are the ones that fail in 3 years - not existing ones.
Wrong. There are hundreds of businesses in that today are struggling or have gone under regardless of the length of time involved.

Just take a look at the stockmarket and see those blue chip companies such as ABC and Babcock and Brown that are no longer.

I agree that franchises can be a safer option, but if you are buying an existing business, with a proven track record of turnover and profits for a number of years, then there is a good deal of safety in this.

One must always be aware that franchises tend to have less failures that stand alone enterprises have. However there are large costs and restrictions attached to that support .

Of course; there are numerous other outside factors which will affect the business's ongoing viability as I mentioned above - other competition etc, and it is up to the buyer to do some DD before hand.

Any potential buyer needs ensure that they have undertaken their business plans and know how much time and money they can devote to it.

No different to buying IP's.

I'll add that I've checked out several franchise businesses over the last 10 years, and not bought.

One of them was Sumo Salads. One of the best bits of DD I did was talk to 5 other franchise operations and observe them at different times of trade.

The franchisor and their representatives will give all the reasons to buy, and franchisees will give you all the reasons not to.

After all, my mate had become a millionaire while owning it and I know his figures would have been true blue: He wasn't a tax cheat.

He had so much free cash in the biz he said he could survive a year without sales. He did have a slump one year so he bought an M3 with his tax return.
Must have been a bad year if he only bought a M3 ,but just have to ask what business was he in,willair..

Last edited:
Perhaps another thing to consider when purchasing a business that is often overlooked is the value of IP (Intellectual Property).
I know a number of business that are astoundingly successful and would look great on the books but would fail miserably as soon as the owner walked out the door.
I'm amazed at how many people look at a business and say to themselves, "sure that guy has been in business for 15 years and does OK, but I could do so much better so I'll buy it". They seem to overlook all the trial and error the last owner went through over the years perfecting his offering.

And I agree that it helps to have a passion or at least some previous experience before making the jump. Everyone knows someone who spent their "golden hand shake" on a pub having never pulled a beer in their life only to wind up broke in a few short years....v sad indeed..

I believe the most romanticized element of running a business is to "Be your own boss"....
The reality however is no matter how successful you become, no matter how many millions you make, you will always be answerable to someone.. Be it the bank manager, the tax office or the missus..:p

Despite these points, there are many reason why a business can be infinitely more rewarding than a J.O.B, be it financially or personally so I'm always happy to dip my hat at anyone willing the go nipples to the wind and have a go.

Fortes fortuna adiuvat....Bay View..

cheers

B.D

Back