Bathroom drain blocked.

Received a bill today from a unit in our building claiming plumbing expense to unblock drain in the shower.

Can anyone confirm if this is the strata's responsibility ?

Hi LM,
I had a similar case with a townhouse,
I didn't think that it was a strata issue as blockages are tenant use related.
I told the PM to send a plumber and I paid for it.
Now that you asked, I wonder if I did the right thing.
Cheers,

Sounds like a strata responsibility because it appears that the blocked pipe was in 'common' part of the structure. In most units the drains are common in that they are shared to some extent. In townhouses there could be a point where the responsibility becomes individual.

Hi all

I wish I could find someone to tell exactly what is common and what is not in a Strata - apparently it's a grey area. I will have another look in the strata act - tho didn't look what state you are in - me WA

Celeste:confused:

A few years ago the common laundry flooded and caused damage to 2 units next to the laundry in my building (before I bought my unit there). The owners claimed on insurance but one person had to pay an excess. She had been trying to get the body corp to reimburse her for the excess with no success until our recent body corp meeting when everyone voted to reimburse her, against our body corp's management representative's wishes.

Back