Bathroom minor reno costs?

I need to have the bathtub replaced and ideally, a shower added to an existing toilet area (the area is large enough for 750 x 750 shower stall).

The first quote came through at $13,500 :eek:

I mean, do they need to waterproof everything again? I can understand that there might be some retiling necessary to fit the new bathtub. But waterproofing again for the bathtub? I'm aiming for a free standing bathtub.

Is water proofing and all the tiling necessary if a complete shower unit is installed?

Is the quote reasonable?

The amount of waterproofing required depends on the specific nature of the reno. If demolition and resheeting takes place than waterproofing will be required and if you are converting an area that was previously designated as a toilet into a shower than that also will have to be waterproofed.

Rates have crept up over the last couple of years but $600 to waterproof a standard sized bathroom should cover it.

You can get the price for all of your materials and bathroom accessories from suppliers so it just comes down to plumbing alterations, approvals and labour costs to see what the real cost of the reno is.

You can get the price for all of your materials and bathroom accessories from suppliers so it just comes down to plumbing alterations, approvals and labour costs to see what the real cost of the reno is.

The cost break down was ( for both tub replacement and new shower stall)
$620 for floor tiles
$350 for wall tiles
$185 for bath ( tub? I assume! It wasn't very clear)
$150 shower screen
Waterproofing for both bathroom and shower wasn't costed explicitly but mentioned in the quote.

So, it seems that I'm paying around $120 per hour for labour for a full 5 days of work for two guys ( each being paid $120 per hour).

Geez. I'm thinking of doing it myself, short of connecting the bathtub and shower. I don't earn $120 per hour!

I understand that moving the plumbing can be a costly exercise. Are you planning on doing that?
Only for the new shower cubicle. But I'm having second thoughts about having that new shower installed, if that is going to blow out my budget.

I've requested a new quote that separates the cost of the new bathtub from the new shower cubicle.

I'm still awaiting two other quotes.

Are the shower dimensions of 750x750mm the finished product and have you visualised how big that is because the minimum is usually 900x900mm?

When I supervise jobs for clients my plumbers charge $90 + GST per hour so these guys aren't far off. Subbys add on a bit extra when quoting so that they still make their money if things go slightly awry but the client has peace of mind with a fixed price.

You could allow them to work on agreed hourly rate if it's less than $120 an hour but while you may end up paying less, you could also end up paying more.

Are the shower dimensions of 750x750mm the finished product and have you visualised how big that is because the minimum is usually 900x900mm?

I need a 750x750 mm due to small space, and such sizes are available, though a bit hard to source.

When I supervise jobs for clients my plumbers charge $90 + GST per hour so these guys aren't far off. Subbys add on a bit extra when quoting so that they still make their money if things go slightly awry but the client has peace of mind with a fixed price.

OK, makes sense then.

You could allow them to work on agreed hourly rate if it's less than $120 an hour but while you may end up paying less, you could also end up paying more.
Doesn't sound too good an option.

How much of a discount can I generally expect for a cash payment?

Back