Battleaxe development turn key cost - WA

We've just got costing and it's still above our budget. I'm looking for ways to keep the cost down.

Would anyone share their thoughts on 31c living for rental properties?

The quote for 31c ceiling living is around $4000. We can save a bit by just going with the standard 28c.

We plan to hold and rent out the house.

Does 31c ceiling increase evaluation value ? We also want to get as much equity out of this one so we can borrow some more.

Who was this costing by?

What is the total now?

I'm suprised that you can't get this for around $250k all up including earthworks.

Hi Myf,

This is by Ventura ID.

Current cost breakdown:
House ~$187k (this includes upgrade: living kitchen to 31c, fully framed shower pivot doors, laundry melamine cabinet instead of steel tub with metal cabinet)
Internal furnishings ~21k (painting,tiling, windows treatment, retics and landscaping)
General works ~42k (includes new crossover and driveway $11k for 215 sqm)

So, total is ~250k.
BUT this doesn't include WAPC titling fee, water corp headworks, site clearing (there are some big trees at the back), application to Western Power domes, removal of existing carport, re fencing (if required). They estimate this to be another $20-40k.

We're hoping to cover all (including subdivision cost) for 250k...is this too farfetched ?

Theres other areas i would cut down on costs before the high ceilings.

Post or pm the cost break down.

I am going through them aswell atm.

My total project costings are about 245k for a 3x2 which will cover improvements to existing dwelling and all subdivision fees, fencing landscaping etc. Ip spec

Send me your breakdown and ill compare to mine if you wish.

Cheers

Have you tried other builders?

It does seem a bit high but it's hard to see where costs could be cut to make it cheaper - I'd be hesitant to throw out the high ceilings if costs could be made up elsewhere.

Do you have a copy of the plans and spec for all those things?

Thanks Ace for the offer, I will PM you.

Myf, pls see attached. Spec is here.

Some ways I can think of to reduce the cost:
-Remove portico
-Remove robe doors in bed 2-4
-Reduce Master WIR and laundry to make the left wall flushed
-Use good old shower curtains instead of full framed pivot doors (also low maintenance cost as it will be rented out anyway)
-Remove the WC wall in ensuite

Attachments

• IGA_3_4_2014_7_50_12_119.pdf
    335.1 KB · Views: 146
Chibs,

That design could be so much better - sorry to say it - but it's poor.

My issues
- with a battle axe block the garage is usually where the portico is because there needs to be a 'habitable' room looking down the driveway for surveillance.
- complete waste of space in front of portico that could be better utlised in the back garden

I wouldn't be taking anything out to reduce the price. I'd send them back to the design board and also contact a few other builders - try Summit Strata Wise, Gemmill Homes Developments, Dale Alcock

https://www.dalealcock.com.au/Developments/Where-to-start/View-our-Designs/

Haha not a problem. When the builder presented this, I thought it suits our purpose. The reason we wanted to push the house as far back as possible is because we might want to demolish and rebuild the front house in the future. It's an old 2 bedroom house. We want to leave enough space in case we want to build the front.

Didn't think about surveillance, but having garage where the portico is seems to use the space that we want to keep free for future development? Maybe it depends on the design.

We approached Summit but have been asked to pay for them to do design. We tried your builder, really liked the design, but the spec (and cost) seems too high for the area we want to build. Dale Alcock also seems pricey. Might try approaching Gemmill

My most recent project will be similar spec to link attached, however I will have window coverings

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-kardinya-116042147

This property is sitting on 350 sqm block, smaller home, looks like they carved a block in the middle.

I am currently organising a strata survey for corner lot Kardinya, 2 x 408 sqm blocks have estimated around $50K but this will include demolishing a home, each home will include 200 sqm of living and garage 36 sqm. I will have same double garage door upgrade as featured in link, my builder mentioned $5000 for this, anyway estimate is around $240,000 mark, which I think is pretty damn amazing price.

I think I may keep one of these so I may perhaps cut back a little on the spec/my hold prop?? not sure, as could be cutting my nose despite my face... value?? and also seems in this area people want high specs, I think this is pretty much becoming stock standard in most areas these days:)

Cheers
MTR:)

I believe for Kardinya, such high specs is the standard. That's a very good price for such high specs. I'm assuming $240 is for the house only and not including subdivision and other sitework cost ?

I believe for Kardinya, such high specs is the standard. That's a very good price for such high specs. I'm assuming $240 is for the house only and not including subdivision and other sitework cost ?

Yes the house and have allocated around $50K for subdivision and other costs, nice flat block.

MTR

Have you also allowed for a storeroom to the front existing house if it is going to be strata?

That price does seem high though. The problem is building is having a bit of a boom at the moment, so it isn't as competitive as 12 months ago.

Tips for reducing cost is to reduce the perimeter and the lineal metres of internal walls. After this, talk hard with the sales reps. Some are normally willing to contribute to the deal from their commission to get the sale if they have targets to meet.

Hit up all the BGC, JWH and ABN group of builders. Between these 3 they probably account for almost 90% of the market you are looking at.

Try not to "delete" items from the contract. They will give you back the cost amount and keep the 30% margin they were charging you. The reverse occurs when you add things in to ensure they get the 30% on all variations. Just find a design, with a price, and start bargaining with minimal variations.

Myf - there's a window on the dining room looking straight down the driveway.

no offence, but that's a standard model where they've relocated the garage / theatre.

have a look at the indulgence - looks downspec'd to suit the encore plus range.

i dunno - i think you could get better deals out there.

We ended up going with a different builder and a different design. After a couple of months delay with site clearing, we got a slab down in Jan and we've reached plate high stage now.

I've attached a few photos. Can I please ask your opinion about the quality of brickwork ?

There are quite a few broken bricks and the workmanship doesn't seem to be great either. We understand that this is internal wall and it will eventually be plastered anyway, but is this what I should expect at the end of plate high ? I suppose it won't affect the sturdiness of the house later on ?

Your opinion is appreciated as we are newbies in building a house.

Attachments

• IMG-20150323-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150323-WA0000.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-20150323-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20150323-WA0001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 20150321_122712.jpg
    20150321_122712.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 95
It looks ok to me. The broken ones are bricks that they have had to break to fit the gap - it's an inexact chisel break rather than a nice brick saw cut. They use the chisel break as they can do it at the wall and free hand measure it and chip more if needed rather than walk to the front of the block and cut which doesn't take much more time but is a hassle.

Thanks westie and ace. Thought the brick cuts look uneven, must be from the chisel. Thought I'd ask here before putting down payment ..

External bricks are good. We're also happy with the foundation.

On the same topic, those build costs seem cheap to my inexperienced eyes. I've been looking at building this:
http://www.porterdavis.com.au/homes/dual occ/westin
Got quoted $317K turn key including landscaping, subdivision, site costs etc (excluding for demolition of the shed and weatherboard bungalow)

This is much more exxy and part of that is that it's specced quite well (stone bench tops etc) but what are the other reasons? Is it due to being double storey?

Back