Bayswater, VIC

Hi Warlobo,

The Eastlink tolls will leave people like you and me bitter and twisted – feeling raped every time we receive a bill. But the fact is, we will still use it! There’s really very little choice.

Citylink may be expensive and overused, and roads like Toorak Rd are still clogged but can you imagine how bad the traffic would be without it?

Likewise, Eastlink is desperately needed, long overdue infrastructure that will make a big difference for commuters in the outer east and south-east. It will also bring many suburbs much closer to the CBD. Given their relative affordability compared with areas 10 km away, many of these suburbs may also benefit from the ripple effect simultaneously.

The challenge for the government, which they won’t rise to (why bother – people vote for them anyway), is to start work on the next big road/rail project NOW rather than just wait until there’s gridlock again.

That’s what I reckon anyway.

Regards - Ben

imho, Eastlink will play a bigger role in mobilising Eastern/SE corridor and Gippsland than bringing people closer to CBD. This is vital to Melbourne 2030 plan in realising the full potential of the designated transit 'cities' such as Box Hill, Dandenong, Frankston, Warragul/Traralgon, etc.

Also, I reckon one of the next feasible project would be to link Eastlink with North Ringroad.. this would also fasttrack the development of Epping and to certain extent Broadmeadows. Dandenong to/from Epping will be really important to our local industries

Totally agree Ben, its not a question of with or without, population expansion long demanded the new road, just a shame greed prevailed and once again calm residential areas have been forced to act as commercial thoroughfares. Some forethought and sensible planning (as you note why when they are returned to office without account) could have left our neighbourhoods as they were whilst commuters breezed through freely as originally intended. Ring, Ring East, Bays and surrounds welcome to our party, thank Brax/Brumby for inviting the congestion it wont be long now...

Also, I reckon one of the next feasible project would be to link Eastlink with North Ringroad.. this would also fasttrack the development of Epping and to certain extent Broadmeadows. Dandenong to/from Epping will be really important to our local industries

I completely agree.

this has been discussed several times but didn't make it to the eddington report. the logical location is via greensborough road via tunnel to the eastern at bulleen.

with our industry in the south east and north (as well as the link out to the hume) imagine what this will do to reduce freight traffic going into the city on the monash and then out to the hume via either the tullamarine freeway or worse via the westgate onto the ring road at altona.

Eastlink's website says car tolls will be min of 32 cents and max cap per journey $4.82 . With oil nudging US$120/barrel, fuel approaching A$1.50/l and even salary $50K per year gives an hourly rate of about $25/hour and the current very bad congestion on all North-South roads (Middleborough, Blackburn, Springvale, Stud) you'd either have to (a) put a ridiculously low value on your "hourly-worth" or (b) be some wierd kind of "traffic lover" :eek: not to think Eastlink tolls are a downright bargain !!

LL
I dunno about that. $4.82 one way = $48.20 in tolls every working week (extra if also using it on the weekend). For someone on $50k that's 2 hrs they're working every week PRE tax to use the tollway - plus paying an ever increasing petrol bill. :(

I dunno about that.... 2 hrs they're working every week PRE tax to use the tollway - plus paying an ever increasing petrol bill. :(

...and pray tell ....how many hours per week at the moment are they sitting in traffic doing "nothing" on either the Monash or Springvale etc etc ?? I guess that doesn't count somehow :rolleyes:?

LL

Of course it "counts," LL, but "they," like myself, will still need to weigh up whether they can afford to pay over $2300 per annum for the convenience is all. I am hoping to save 1/2 hr each way which would be significant over the week and I am planning to pay it. However, I still think that some people who are budgeting will decide the toll is too high. It's not an insignificant sum, IMHO.

Now that Eastlink is now open and tolls activated just think Bayswater might have a bit more potential. Its got a nice location (residential, commercial and industrial all together but seperate) and is located near Heathmont and Wantirna which are both much more expensive considering the distance. Also its quite close to the whole Eastlink entrance but not close enough to be a disturbance.

I also just got word today that the Bayswater Football Oval will get a nice make over (new lights, stand, etc) in the next 2 years. Money will be put in from AFL, council and a local company if the plans are to go ahead. Anyone think Bayswater might "boom" (if thats the word) soon if interest rates do not rise and other factors do not have too much of an effect?

Great read. Can anybody tell me where the "good" parts in Bayswater are? Also, what about schools(Primary and High), shopping centres, etc?

What are people's current views on the Bayswater/Kilsyth/Croydon areas? Im looking at buying a 3 bedroom home (selling a unit to get $). Do people on here see it getting good capital growth and rent?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated as most of the stuff in this thread is a couple of years old.

Bren

I don't think you can go wrong around there, just look at Mitcham/Vermont & Ringwood over the last 18 months, I would say to cover as many avenues as possible look at being close to public transport, you are fine for freeways to all parts of Melbourne but you still need to cover the people going to the city. The houses that have subdivision capabilities ( over 800sqm) get snapped up straight away though.
Jezza

What are people's current views on the Bayswater/Kilsyth/Croydon areas? Im looking at buying a 3 bedroom home (selling a unit to get $). Do people on here see it getting good capital growth and rent?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated as most of the stuff in this thread is a couple of years old.

What is your budget?

In my opinion, I would prefer Ringwood or suburbs before you cross the Eastlink.

Just curious; what are you selling? And, what has you thinking that this particular area is a better option for investing, rather than holding what you have?

Thanks for the replies.

I want a 3 bedroom house to have later down the road when I have kids/settle down. Ill still use it as an investment property for about 2 years though in the meantime.

The unit I own in Bayswater was just a starter to get into the market over 2 years ago. Im hoping to sell it for a good profit and then buying a 3 bedroom property in Kilsyth/Croydon/Bayswater etc (probably) for about 350-370k (see what my real estate agent says my current unit is worth etc).

I still got to get my unit appraised before I do anything anyway.

It seems Bayswater has struggled a bit lately. Really surprising given that there is so much interest in areas like Mitcham and Blackburn that are not overly far away.

What are peoples thoughts on houses/units in Bayswater?

It seems Bayswater has struggled a bit lately. Really surprising given that there is so much interest in areas like Mitcham and Blackburn that are not overly far away.

What are peoples thoughts on houses/units in Bayswater?

You might call me picky, but when we looked at even Mitcham it seemed just a bit too way out for our liking.

Back