BCC just bent us over. Need a solicitor.

It sounds like you're out of pocket $4,500? Sure you've also spent some time but I'm sure it was a good learning experience. Check with your accountant but maybe you can claim the 4.5k on your tax return?

no sounds like out of pocket all the application fees, engineers costs etc, the $60k to purchase excess land, holding costs and not to mention the fact the land prob wouldnt have been purchased in the first place so the opportunity cost of the money.

painful one actually.

RPI what could/should tim have done differently in your opinion?

Thanks so much for the response darryl. Looks like we screwed up with not having the engineering report for the potential flood impact on the surrounding houses due to our blocks needing to be built up. I remember asking my dad about what the potential impact on the other houses would mean for our application. I got that usual parental dismissal and was told that the council would just have to approve it because they already said they would... Doesn't seem to have worked out that way haha

Now my dad reckons we should just try a 2 lot subdivision as we would only have to fill one block and we could do that with the block that is right back from the waterway so there is no impact. But we will see. I'll be pushing my dad to agree to pay for some professional advice from someone like darryl before doing another application anyway.

Oh wells probably about $10000 wasted in fees etc... with that failed application. But these things happen :)

no sounds like out of pocket all the application fees, engineers costs etc, the $60k to purchase excess land, holding costs and not to mention the fact the land prob wouldnt have been purchased in the first place so the opportunity cost of the money.

Hmmm not sure I'd count the block of land for $60k as wasted money. So it's about$10k out of pocket which isn't too bad. The lesson seems to be the missing engineer report and to use someone like Daryl in future.

There was one kedron property I wanted to buy with my parents instead of this one. It would have probably made us $150000 in capital growth so far and have a 11% rental return on it. But my idea was rejected. Grrr lol but honestly my old man is great. I wouldnt even be in the property game right now without him and his help with initial deposits.

So unfortunately not everyone can be right all the time. But of course trust the first subdivision he has ever stuffed up to be the one he does with me lol

Thanks so much for the response darryl. Looks like we screwed up with not having the engineering report for the potential flood impact on the surrounding houses due to our blocks needing to be built up. I remember asking my dad about what the potential impact on the other houses would mean for our application. I got that usual parental dismissal and was told that the council would just have to approve it because they already said they would... Doesn't seem to have worked out that way haha

Now my dad reckons we should just try a 2 lot subdivision as we would only have to fill one block and we could do that with the block that is right back from the waterway so there is no impact. But we will see. I'll be pushing my dad to agree to pay for some professional advice from someone like darryl before doing another application anyway.

Oh wells probably about $10000 wasted in fees etc... with that failed application. But these things happen :)

I think the engineer didn't try and offer a solution to the issues more than anything. Engineering report that offers a solution would resolve and you would be up for another set of app fees but still cheapest way out.

It sounds like you're out of pocket $4,500? Sure you've also spent some time but I'm sure it was a good learning experience. Check with your accountant but maybe you can claim the 4.5k on your tax return?

Good point! It would have been better if he had of been say $50k out of pocket...nice tax write off in this case ;)

I think the engineer didn't try and offer a solution to the issues more than anything. Engineering report that offers a solution would resolve and you would be up for another set of app fees but still cheapest way out.

My dad's concern is that the engineering solution would cost a heap of money to actually put in place. Thinks it probably isn't worth it. ... I'll admit I'm out of my depth and have no idea...

My dad's concern is that the engineering solution would cost a heap of money to actually put in place. Thinks it probably isn't worth it. ... I'll admit I'm out of my depth and have no idea...

Fair point about cost.

BCC are extremely picky about anything to do with flood since 2011, chatting to engineers about possible solution shouldn't cost much though.

Engineering report that offers a solution would resolve and you would be up for another set of app fees but still cheapest way out.

^^^^ RPI's suggestion above sounds good.
Just wondering how much would an engineering report "to mitigate the potential flood impact on the surrounding houses due to the blocks needing to be built up" cost?

Would it be possible to sound out the assessor on adding on such a report to the original application to keep it alive and stay the execution of a formal rejection letter? (save on making a new application with another set of application fees).

Or is it better to simply withdraw the original application to prevent the issuing of a formal rejection letter for the subdivision application? Is a rejection recorded against a property when searches are done under 'building and development' searches?

This case struck me. I thought I had nothing further to add. Then I realise that I can share some pointers about independent expert reports.
For a planning application/DA that is not cookie-cutter, run-of-the mill type but is pushing the envelope or is tricky, the application is bound to be fraught or beset by some difficulties.

An independent expert report is one of the few things within your control. You choose the independent expert, you commission them, you pay them AND you can choose to submit or not submit the report to Council.

To avoid 'nasty surprises' in the expert report, there are a few precursor steps you can take

1. Interview/chat with different experts before you commission them. Suss out first if they are favourable, supportive, receptive, positive, cautiously optimistic about your project or are they unfavourable, negative, reluctant, dead-set, non-committal, indifferent, not enthusiastic, resistant. Some consultants will adopt a 'No way Jose am I going to touch this with a 10 foot barge pole' and flatly refuse to take on your project. Some consultants will say 'why not? Yes, I think this can be done. it fits all the criteria and any issues can be resolved"
It all depends on their breadth of experience and past experience with Councils.

Ask each consultant in turn beforehand if they can see any major issues, concerns, difficulties and how they will address them. Hire the consultant that best meets your criteria.

2. When you receive the report, read it carefully with a fine tooth comb. Apart from checking for mistakes, factual errors, missing information, check if there are any additional major areas of concerns, impacts, problems or difficulties identified in the report. Discuss with the consultant how these issues/impacts can be addressed with a mutually acceptable solution and ask if this can be included in the report. Some consultants will balk at you attempting to modify their expert report, some will be more amenable.

At the end of the day, reading the report and checking it is your responsibility . Is it a favourable report or is it an adverse report that identifies some sticky unsolvable issues that the consultant refuses to change his opinion on?

3. You can then choose to submit or not submit an independent report to Council. That is entirely within your control.
If it is an adverse report (hopefully doing Step 1 will avoid this situation), you can choose not to submit it to Council and seek another expert opinion.

If you submit an adverse expert report to Council, it's like
providing a gun and ammunition to Council, pointing it in your direction and saying 'shoot me!', chances are Council will have no choice but to pull the trigger even if they didn't want to in the first place.

So choose your consultant carefully and make sure you read the report carefully and consider the implications of what it is saying before you submit it to Council.

Tim86, why not develop the lots using properties on stumps, and avoid the need to build up at all?

That's what we're doing for our new PPOR, which is in a flood zone with a new minimum habitable floor level that's about 2m above ground. :eek:

We're doing a lightweight construction using Bush and Beach - who've been a dream to deal with, and we're nearly to lock-up now - and just used longer steel supports than standard.

thumbs_301-DAINTREE-RENDER.JPG

If you can't afford to build the properties yourselves, you could at least sell them with approved plans for a lightweight construction, so people can see what can be done.

Interesting Perp - was going to suggest something similar.

How is the costing from bush and beach?

I imagine its suitable for a sloping block as well.

Back