BCC just bent us over. Need a solicitor.

So it turns out the guy on the other corner of the street, in the EXACT same situation as us, has had his subdivision approved.

They didn't even make him do a hydrologist report. They were even kind enough to tell him exactly how much he had to fill, which was less than he originally thought. So he has to fill 700mm. We only have to fill 400-500mm.

So what do you do with that?

And just did the figures. If we sold now we would lose between $40 000 and $80 000.

Very disheartening.

He was subdividing into two.

That's something we would be willing to do. However, the same issue arises with the blocks being built up and then impacting on the houses next door if it floods.

My dad is going to try and argue for a 2 lot subdivision seeing as how they have a approved the 2 lot subdivision in the same situation.

I don't know how successful we will be.

I can't believe they didn't even require a hydrologist report for the other block. Obviously council has screwed up and let it through when by rights they should have rejected it like ours according to what they are telling us.

And the other annoying thing. When we put through for the land purchase from the state government, we wrote down the purpose for the land purchase as for a subdivision. State government then asked council if they had any objections, however state government only told council that we wanted it to add to the existing block, nothing about subdivision. So council approved the sale of the land with no objections, when if they were given all the information we submitted, they would have raised objections before we blew $10 000.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside doesn't it. Grrrrrrrrrr

That can be used as precedent in appeal if the same flood levels apply (or even if they are close).

Just send you a pm rpi before seeing that you had already replied. Thanks for weighing in.

So should we appeal the decision? Or try mediation...still not sure what that will entail though.

How much time do we have to appeal?

We need to move now.

mediation is part of the appeal process.

the beauty with P&E is that we can treat each as a stage. Yes if we went all the way to 3 day hearing you will be up for $50k.

They may roll at notice of appeal with a precdent and it could be <$5k, mediation could be <$10k if the council is not arguing tech aspects.

We have put in numerous appeals where the council rolls over after filing the appeal.

Also. The we would appeal and go for 3 but might take 2 in mediation if that was the only thing to get you across the line.

Tim stop your dad from trying o
to fix this, engage rpi and get moving on it asap. You're just losing valuable time atm

Tim stop your dad from trying o
to fix this, engage rpi and get moving on it asap. You're just losing valuable time atm

Done :)

Going ahead with appeal as Darryl suggested above.

Let's hope it works out well. If not then it's only an extra $5000 to $15000 to give it a good crack. Worth the investment when we are tossing up between a $40 000+ loss compared to a potential gain of a couple hundred thousand if approved.

Done :)

Going ahead with appeal as Darryl suggested above.

Let's hope it works out well. If not then it's only an extra $5000 to $15000 to give it a good crack. Worth the investment when we are tossing up between a $40 000+ loss compared to a potential gain of a couple hundred thousand if approved.

Giddyup!

Best of luck.

If you dont mind, please keep this thread going Tim and RPI and keep us updated on progress. Great case study and learning experience for all. Much more beneficial and insightful than the standard one off questions usually asked on this board.

Darryl has been very helpful and so has his associate.

However we've spent a lot of time talking to engineers and hydrologists and it looks like the subdivision isn't going to be worth it. Not with all the extra legal and engineering costs.

The rubbish thing is I've taken up Darryl's time now only to come to the decision not to proceed with the appeal. But the figures I've done up and all the potential issues just makes pursuing an appeal a very unattractive option.

Anyway I did up all the details of the issues as I SEE THEM (it's just my perspective of the issues):

(1) Action against council for telling us the land was subdividable not possible due to the council advice service just being general advice as they have claimed, and that subdivision is only fully assessed once an application is made. So they can't be held liable when they haven't done a full assessment and were only giving general advice.

(2) Action against the realestate agent not possible because if they contacted council to find out if the land was subdividable, and they were told it was, just like we were told, then they had reasonable grounds to state that the block was subdividable in the ad.

(3) The engineer Darryl referred us to stated that a three lot subdivision would impact on the neighbours and so too would a 2 lot subdivision. The engineering solution would be to widen the creek. The engineer said this would cost approximately $30 000 and may still get rejected by the courts.

(4) The new hydrologist stated that they would do a 2D model rather than the 1D model like the other hydrologist did. They said that there is a greater than 50% chance that this would be more favourable. They want $6600 for this. Two of these would need to be done, one before widening the creek and one after. However this is included in the $30 000 above approx quote. That quote also includes the $6000 council application fee to widen the creek.

(5) Currently the flood impact from the 1D report is an increase of 150mm of water on neighbouring properties. Even if the 2D report was more favourable the impact would have to be essentially nothing. Otherwise we would need permission from neighbouring properties to do the subdivision and increase the flood risk to their properties. Which we will never get.

(6) It's debatable if the 2D modelling is any better than the 1D modelling. Industry experts even disagree on this point. The original hydrologist said he could have done the 2D modelling however knew the 1D modelling was cheaper for his customers and he said he could tell from that whether or not there would be a flood impact. He says he has seen 2D modelling come back with an even greater impact than the 1D modelling.

(7) The precedent of the other property being approved for subdivision will potentially fall flat in court. It's like arguing that they made a mistake allowing one subdivision through that they shouldn't have, so why don't they make another mistake with ours. Or as the hydrologist heard one judge put it in a similar case "the level to which I was deceived in a previous case has no bearing on this current case".

Total costs we would be looking at for 3 different scenarios:

(SCENARIO 1)

3 lot subdivision:

-Costs so far $440 000

-Cost of appeal $20 000 - $50 000

-Cost of engineering solution $30 000

-Cost of purchasing government land $65 000

-Cost of headworks block 1 $40 000

-Cost of headworks block 2 $40 000

-Cost of moving services (water and electricity that is currently on the council land) $20 000 +

Total cost $655 000 - $685 000

Lot one worth $260 000, lot 2 worth $280 000, lot 3 worth $280 000. Minus $10 000 per block selling costs. = $790 000.

Potential profit: $105 000

Cons: chance of cost blow out in many areas, big chance of ultimate rejection for proposal even after spend $50 000 - $80 000 on legals and engineering reports etc...

Risk $80 000 to profit best case scenario $105 000...

(SCENARIO 2)

2 lot subdivision:

-Costs so far $440 000

Total cost = $530 000 - $560 000

Lot one worth $260 000, lot 2 worth $280 000. Minus $10000 per block selling costs = $520 000

Best case scenario, loss of $10 000 to $40 000.

(SCENARIO 3)

Build a house and keep original house as granny flat:

-Costs so far $440 000

-Cost to build house $70 000

-cost to sell $10 000

Total cost = $520 000

Realestate agent estimates final value at $600 000.

Potential profit of $80 000.

No risk at all. No legal action required (no extra stress).

Pro, can be kept as high yield rental return.

- My figures are approx but they give a pretty good picture.
So we have decided on scenario 3.

Scenario 3 sounds good :D.

What a PITA to have to have gone through all that.

And the longer you hold, the more profit you'll make when you do sell.

Hi OP,

I've followed this thread right from the start, sorry about the fiasco, but Scenario 3 sounds good! (And since you're not even 30 and have achieved so much I'm sure this will be an invaluable experience for you to get onto greater things :))

Cheers

Good choice. :)

It's a shame it didn't work out as well as you'd originally hoped, but you're making lemonade out of lemons, and actually, the lemonade's not half-bad! And you've learned some valuable lessons.

Onward and upward!

Darryl has been very helpful and so has his associate.

However we've spent a lot of time talking to engineers and hydrologists and it looks like the subdivision isn't going to be worth it. Not with all the extra legal and engineering costs.

The rubbish thing is I've taken up Darryl's time now only to come to the decision not to proceed with the appeal. But the figures I've done up and all the potential issues just makes pursuing an appeal a very unattractive option.

Anyway I did up all the details of the issues as I SEE THEM (it's just my perspective of the issues):

(1) Action against council for telling us the land was subdividable not possible due to the council advice service just being general advice as they have claimed, and that subdivision is only fully assessed once an application is made. So they can't be held liable when they haven't done a full assessment and were only giving general advice.

(2) Action against the realestate agent not possible because if they contacted council to find out if the land was subdividable, and they were told it was, just like we were told, then they had reasonable grounds to state that the block was subdividable in the ad.

(3) The engineer Darryl referred us to stated that a three lot subdivision would impact on the neighbours and so too would a 2 lot subdivision. The engineering solution would be to widen the creek. The engineer said this would cost approximately $30 000 and may still get rejected by the courts.

(4) The new hydrologist stated that they would do a 2D model rather than the 1D model like the other hydrologist did. They said that there is a greater than 50% chance that this would be more favourable. They want $6600 for this. Two of these would need to be done, one before widening the creek and one after. However this is included in the $30 000 above approx quote. That quote also includes the $6000 council application fee to widen the creek.

(5) Currently the flood impact from the 1D report is an increase of 150mm of water on neighbouring properties. Even if the 2D report was more favourable the impact would have to be essentially nothing. Otherwise we would need permission from neighbouring properties to do the subdivision and increase the flood risk to their properties. Which we will never get.

(6) It's debatable if the 2D modelling is any better than the 1D modelling. Industry experts even disagree on this point. The original hydrologist said he could have done the 2D modelling however knew the 1D modelling was cheaper for his customers and he said he could tell from that whether or not there would be a flood impact. He says he has seen 2D modelling come back with an even greater impact than the 1D modelling.

(7) The precedent of the other property being approved for subdivision will potentially fall flat in court. It's like arguing that they made a mistake allowing one subdivision through that they shouldn't have, so why don't they make another mistake with ours. Or as the hydrologist heard one judge put it in a similar case "the level to which I was deceived in a previous case has no bearing on this current case".

Total costs we would be looking at for 3 different scenarios:

(SCENARIO 1)

3 lot subdivision:

-Costs so far $440 000

-Cost of purchasing government land $65 000

-Cost of headworks block 2 $40 000

-Cost of moving services (water and electricity that is currently on the council land) $20 000 +

Total cost $655 000 - $685 000

Lot one worth $260 000, lot 2 worth $280 000, lot 3 worth $280 000. Minus $10 000 per block selling costs. = $790 000.

Potential profit: $105 000

Cons: chance of cost blow out in many areas, big chance of ultimate rejection for proposal even after spend $50 000 - $80 000 on legals and engineering reports etc...

Risk $80 000 to profit best case scenario $105 000...

(SCENARIO 2)

2 lot subdivision:

-Costs so far $440 000

Total cost = $530 000 - $560 000

Lot one worth $260 000, lot 2 worth $280 000. Minus $10000 per block selling costs = $520 000

Best case scenario, loss of $10 000 to $40 000.

(SCENARIO 3)

Build a house and keep original house as granny flat:

-Costs so far $440 000

-Cost to build house $70 000

-cost to sell $10 000

Total cost = $520 000

Realestate agent estimates final value at $600 000.

Potential profit of $80 000.

No risk at all. No legal action required (no extra stress).

Pro, can be kept as high yield rental return.

- My figures are approx but they give a pretty good picture.
So we have decided on scenario 3.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but this is the level of research you should of done BEFORE you entered this debacle. Good Luck with it either way Tim.

Back