Beating Procrastination

Hi all,

The thought of posting this popped into my head over 2 weeks ago but I didn't get around to it, which highlights the importance of posting it.

My name is Ian, and I'm a procrastinator.

I've done no real work for months, my tax return isn't done, some bills are unpaid not because I don't have the money but because I never got around to paying them.

I feel like sh**. The thought of everything I need to get done and the fact that I've done nothing, drains my energy every day.

I'd like to explain further but I don't know what else to say, too disorganised.

Thanks for reading.

-Ian

I feel like sh**. The thought of everything I need to get done and the fact that I've done nothing, drains my energy every day.
I feel your pain. I get so many late fees on bills just because I "didn't get around to it". :eek: It's really silly, and annoys me about myself.

I think this is one problem that mindset can fix. Let's try changing our internal dialogue to something like this:

"I am efficient and energetic. Organising my finances and personal administration comes easily to me, and I always have the information I need to complete a task at my fingertips. I am skilled at time management and prioritising tasks. I deal with unpleasant tasks as soon as possible so that my time is free to engage in more pleasurable pursuits."

Will it work? I don't know, but I think it's worth trying. (If we get around to it. :D) Let's try and conquer this together, hey?

Procrastination is the thief of time.....

I guess I should think about planning to get around to going to try to attempt to wish to post...........ah, I'll do it later. :p

Hiya Ian

I too am a procrastinator.

I have recently completed 4 years of tax. (Well, they are with the accountant anyway!) Personal, trust and companies.

I have big plans for my days, and get so caught up with how much I have to do, that I end up doing nothing. Sounds familiar.

Something that I tried, and might be worth your while is NLP. Neuro Linguistic Programming. I have had 1 session and cost about $300 (3 hrs). MAN I was so motivated it wasn't funny, all I could think of was getting the tax done.

NLP is easy, there would be loads of people who do it in Brisbane. It is just about reprogramming your brain, you don't have to tell them any secrets or anything. Just tell them what you want fixed and they work on that. Truly is wonderful.

I need to go again though, although the tax is done, we have just moved again and I am so OVER unpacking it is not funny. Don't want to do it. Love living in the new PPOR though!

Sunshine

OK seriously now, looking at it from a mindset perspective which it boils down to anyway, as we can either choose to procrastinate or choose not to.

Better approach it from the viewpoint of not avoiding procrastination, but rather to attain efficiency. Focusing on what we don't want generally impels us to act toward the not wanted thing as the imbedded command is procrastination, even though we are wanting to avoid that undesired state.

Make lists (the night before) and prioritise key activities for the next day. Strike them off or tick them off as they are complete. Visualise yourself (our mind thinks in pictures) as having achieved all that day's tasks before you even begin. This should only take a minute or two. Further visualise yourself feeling proud and grateful for the work you've completed and confident of fulfilling all future tasks/assignments in an efficient manner, and being decisive.

It boils down to focussing on what you want (efficiency and decisiveness) not on what you do not want (procrastination/indecisiveness); our subconscious mind doesn't judge or differentiate between what you want or don't want; it acts on the embedded command.....therefore keep putting your focus on the wanted state/behaviour.

NLP has useful techniques as Sunshine mentions. You can actually do a course (if you're so inclined Ian) for about $ 400. You'll learn a few more skills as well.

I like the following three words to help direct us toward a wanted outcome.

BE DO HAVE

BE the sort of person (visualise efficiency despite your current procrastination and "act as if now") that would DO the type of behaviour and take the actions to HAVE efficiency and decisiveness.

The negative slant to that formula is to keep thinking that you procrastinate (BE) which would impel you to continue to DO things that prolong that procrastination (because that fulfills your identity - BEing a procrastinator) and subsequently HAVE the result of being behind and delayed in your tasks/assignments/work, etc.

Hope all that makes sense. :)

Today is yesterday's tommorow ;)

2009 is my year of no longer procrastinating. My mum used to say to 'turn over a new leaf' which always gave me visions of autumn though I'm sure that's not what the expression means!

It's working so far - as others have said it's more about mindset than anything else, it just helped to set a date and be different from that point forward.

My worst areas of procrastination have always been money wise - putting off saving, paying bills, organising paperwork, tax returns etc etc. I do these effortlessly in my work life, but have always struggled at home.

You should see the study at the moment - the picture of organisation - I actually enjoy the tasks because I can find what I want - it also helped that Mr Minx bought me a new laptop for Xmas - it makes life so much easier.

All the best to fellow putter-offerers - hopefully we will all find peace within ourselves.

On my days off I usually just procrastinate in the afternoons (insert smart comments here!)

I usually get chores and crap finished in the mornings and then the afternoons where I do nothing are my reward for doing stuff in the mornings. I'm not very good at doing nothing in the mornings though otherwise I feel guilty and can't relax after lunch.

When things start to pile up, I make a "to do" list.

Aim on crossing off a couple each day.

It's amazing how simply writing it all down seems to make things clearer. Then I do the easy things first to get off to a flying start.
Marg

Hey Ian

I know where you're coming from. I don't think you're alone, either!
It's human nature to put off until last the tasks we don't like or dread doing. I heard a good saying once- it was something like "Eat the frog first" - in other words do the things you hate and consistently put off FIRST thing in the day so that you don't feel worse at the end of the day, when you still have to eat the damned frog :D

A REA I know told me the worst thing about working in RE was making cold calls (this was back in the days when they could get your no. off RPData) so he made it his choice to do it first thing in the office from 9-11am and then reward himself with a teabreak/chocolate whatever. He felt a lot better, rather than dragging out the calls all day or leaving it until 3pm (when he knew most ppl weren't home anyway!).

It's always been easier to organise yourself at work due to the nature of the work ethic- you don't work, you don't get paid! :D but when it comes to self-motivated tasks like housework, personal tax, investments, kids parties, family BBQ's etc I, too, find it hard to get started!

It's always been easier to organise yourself at work due to the nature of the work ethic- you don't work, you don't get paid! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. Jacque, I supposedly 'work' from home so 'no work, no pay' affects me greatly and even having earned no money for 6 months still doesn't kick me up the bum enough to get any work done. I'm eating into my buffer at the moment which isn't good, yet I still do nothing. Like a roo in headlights.

I'm going to start making a list for tomorrow :/

Ian,

I am not a procrastinator! I make a list of stuff to do and do not get up until it is done! If you just make a start you feel better and it becomes a habit.

spend the last 30 mins of each day planning the next, get everything off your desk except the one thing, the most important thing that you need to be working on.

work in set time slots and turn phone and internet off while you are working. I always tell myself that emails and phone calls are not my work. I have 2 full days where I do not look at emails at all, just focus on completing goals!

Get off this forum ;):D I reserve this to the last 10 mins of the day after everything is done and at a set time.

Buy a huge bin and throw out anything that does not have a consequence to throwing it out. Working on menial tasks is not motivating, get rid of them!

Outsource whatever you can, I only work on thigs that only I can do and cannot outsource, if someone else CAN do it then it's off my desk!

It takes 21 to 28 days to form a habit so it's just a matter of getting into it until it is hard wired then you do it without thinking!

Hope this helps

X:D

Ian

My routine...

I get up early most mornings, have a cup of coffee by myself (no TV on to distract my thoughts) and start writing a list of what I need to do that day in my diary and then I go to work and work through the list.

Usually, I walk for an hour before going to work so I may think of more things I need to do.

NOTE - I only do work things at work and personal/building things out of work hours eg lunch break or after work. Usually I have Mondays off.

On my desk at home I have a spiral bound notebook with things I need to do eg.
1. pay credit card bill ( via bpay)
2. organise duplex insurance (not needed until 15th March but I will ring Insurance broker and organise the first day I am home before 5pm)

At the end of the day I check what I have done and tick then I look at what I need to do and
a) stay and do it at work or
b) eliminate by not doing.
c) go home and finish work at home

Now when it comes to our mail - I don't open until the weekend and then I open, action & file.

If I am procrastination mode...
I get up turn on computer make coffee and start reading online news, trading and property forums, don't go for a walk and watch TV.

On the weekend I may even lie in bed or on the floor or in the bath and read 2 or 3 books and get absolutely nothing done.

Ticking off the tasks, jobs you have completed during the day is motivating enough to write up the next list.

Example of proactive mode...

Monday 23.2.2009
1. Ring Karen at Franklyn's re replacement parts for blinds then ring son to pick up.
2. Ring Loans officer re discount (tried twice and phone engaged)
3. Order gas bottles for plumber.
4. Visit lighting consultant and finalise lights for duplex - talk to electrician.
5. Ring termimesh and find out if a different barrier can be supplied to termite proof a cement patio.
6. Ring builder and explain that I would like patio as per contract plan and suggest he contact Termimesh and ask for a Building consultant to visit building in progress and advise.

IMHO Builder knew what he had to do but did not want to as would cost him more - but now he know I know.

7. Measure up blinds for windows - friend gave me a hand
8. Fence start organising quotes.
9. Ring for turf quotes (didn't happen) but I have pre-booked excavator for 16th March when handover is complete so landscaping can start.
10. Check out paintwork on building, where driveway is going and organise variance for oxide colouring to driveway.
11. Ring concretor so he can explain why he won't apply sealer ( found out he can guarantee work so does not like to colour driveways etc.

Ian
My husband is working in a different state so If I don't do these things and work full time as well then we would not get anything extra done.

PLANNING
I have a monthly planner for work to write out of the ordinary things in and work out my work hours as my work load flucuates and has bottlenecks.
I have a weekly work diary
I have a home diary for share trading
I have a spiral notebook to write a list of things to do or write information in.
I have a calendar on my work computer to remind me of meetings maybe one or two each week.
I am well organised and manage my time well.

What I don't do..
I hate book keeping so pay a book keeper.
I don't cook very often - hubby does if he is at home.
My house is tidy because I hate clutter and since I would rather read then do housework I have minimal nic nacs around the house.
I cull - I get rid of things.

Many years ago - my Aunty said Sheryn always make your bed when you first get up as it makes your bedroom tidy so I did start doing this.

Then I was up while jug is boiling in the morning as I hate washing up after tea.

Sheryn

Ian is it procrastination or something else going on?

Sumthin' buggin' you man?

-Your not enjoying your field of work?

-You might be a big picture guy....sparing yourself "stuff" while figuring and working and chewing on the big picture stuff?

-Giving it (procrastination), some consideration, and knowing how different people's personalities/temperaments are the question maybe better placed; "how to better procrastinate".

-If you could be doing or working on anything you want, something that really, deeply, truly gets the boat floating, what would it be?

Keep in mind for some people, some types of personalities, passion and excitement in some work is the pull in life, things like to do lists are just a push. It ain't gunna work.

Ask yourself what is going on.:confused:

Keep in mind for some people, some types of personalities, passion and excitement in some work is the pull in life, things like to do lists are just a push. It ain't gunna work.

Ask yourself what is going on.:confused:
So, OO, I get plenty of things done that I enjoy - property research, for example - but struggle with the self-discipline to stop doing something exciting and do mundane stuff, like tax returns. I outsource as much as I can, but there's still some stuff that just has to be done by me, because I'm the only one with the necessary information in my brain.

What do you suggest with the "boring but necessary" stuff? Apart from "stop being lazy and slack and just do it? - 'cause I've tried that for years and it doesn't seem to help. ;) I'm sure there's a more positive way to tackle these tasks.

I'm no expert but I think its more than procrastination. There seems to be an underlying issue causing the procrastination.

Maybe you have depression. Go talk to your GP as he could direct you to someone if you do.

If you do have it its better to nip it in the bud early rather than later where its much harder to deal with and can seriously affect your life.

Hope you don't, but 6 months is a long time mate. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Jacque, I supposedly 'work' from home so 'no work, no pay' affects me greatly and even having earned no money for 6 months still doesn't kick me up the bum enough to get any work done. I'm eating into my buffer at the moment which isn't good, yet I still do nothing. Like a roo in headlights.

I'm going to start making a list for tomorrow :/

Ian,

Sounds like a serious issue if you are choosing to not earn income because of your procrastination.

Check whether the problem is a medical one. Are you clinically depressed??

If you are being plagued by "the black dog",procrastination would be one of the first symptoms.

I'm serious.

Warning: Ramble

Weeeell Oz, it's........this is what I have learnt, (and unlearned).

We are all so different, different drummers right, march to the beat of our own drums. We have traits and quirks and stuff, (yes, some are constructive and some maybe even considered a little? destructive?) unique to us.

I'm not that sure procrastination is that big a problem for some of us.. Sure some people get benefit and drive (push) from notes and that sort of thing, that's great. Some people get also get down to the wire, (last minute) and do what they need to do to get whatever it is over the line, and some just let it flow..

For instance, 40,000 people could write and offer fine words of encouragement, a bit of psyche stuff, whatever...but it's up to you. You don't do your taxes, pay bills, A, B and C and it's gunna getchya? No?

What better way to learn. (For some), maybe a bit of the "abuse it-lose it".

Maybe you are the big picture type of person too, why run errands and nitpick when it might be best, (for you), if you do the big picture stuff. There was a thread here on somersoft sometime ago, I think about paying tax, and it did surprise me the (what seemed), large number of people that let the deadline timelines go whooshing by. Then I thought well, so what?

We actually may have some more things in common than what we all credit ourselves with. Many of us maybe are big picture type personalities.

Why beat ourselves up over the little stuff?

I'm not saying don't pay your tax or leave it and get fined...I think we are all adults, we stuff up, we suffer the consequences..sometimes the most interesting phenomena have multiple causes and reasons, and sometimes it's just us being us.

Ian, on the other hand is sounding like he might be dropping himself out of the loop, I'm thinking like Evan, I am no expert on anything (but myself), and sometimes I get that wrong, but that's how I learn.

The sons of Hermes love to play,
And only do their best when they
Are told they oughtn't;
Apollo's children never shrink
From boring jobs but have to think
Their work important.

- W. H. Auden, Under Which Lyre

Back