Beating Procrastination

I think this is one problem that mindset can fix. Let's try changing our internal dialogue to something like this:

"I am efficient and energetic. Organising my finances and personal administration comes easily to me, and I always have the information I need to complete a task at my fingertips. I am skilled at time management and prioritising tasks. I deal with unpleasant tasks as soon as possible so that my time is free to engage in more pleasurable pursuits."

Woh that is way too long......I like simply mantras like:
I am a successful and professional person.

Because successful people are in control of their lives and what goes on around them...and professionals do not allow weakness of character to affect their perfomance.

Or the good ol' saying that always makes me rethink what I'm doing:

Procrastination is like masturbation....feels good while you're doing it, but in the end you're just ****ing yourself.
:)

I think that if you enjoy doing what you're doing then procrastination becomes a thing of the past.

if anything I rush into investment deals, still looking for a 'good' or the 'right' deal but I enjoy buying so much that once finance is done I'm straight out there shaking hands with the REA.

Hey Ian, one thing I hope you are seeing is that you aren't alone with this issue. I don't acknowledge that "I am a procrastinator," because I'd rather not define myself that way. :p However, sometimes I do procrastinate. Weirdly enough, when I get in a funk (not very often I admit) I feel like I am useless and lazy. DH however, always laughs at this suggestion and says that I am nowhere near lazy... So who is right? (He's not the type of man to tell me what i want to hear, BTW, so it's not to make me feel better).

I think the negative thing is not the procrastination per se; the tendency for that is just being human. We also have a tendency to get mad at stuff, get sad about stuff, make the wrong choices... It's just how we are. It doesn't make us "bad," just human. The main issue for me is that you are beating yourself about it (very human of you!) and so creating a downward spiral. We all go through ups & downs and sometimes I just find I feel down for no particular reason. By accepting that sometimes people just "feel down," it makes it OK. As soon as I remember to accept the "negative" feeling that I have & allow it rather than fight it, they seem to disappear on their own. Of course, I am saying this on the presumption that there is nothing more going on. All i can suggest is that you try & stop feeling guilty about it and don't get overwhelmed if you have a long list of "to do"s. Just concentrate on one thing. Just do that & put everything else out of your mind. I would personally start with an easy thing first. Maybe give yourself a reward for completing certain tasks? If you're not reward driven it's harder, 'cos you'll be more motivated by threat. I'm more of a carrot person, so sometimes I need to bribe myself with the promise of a treat if I have something unpleasant to do.
BTW, you are definitely not "doing nothing." It is quite something to have started this thread.:)

Hi Ian,

I read somewhere that when you have a list of things to do you should first tackle the task that you are dreading doing and that will take the longest. If you make a list of things to do every day ticking them off gives you such a good feeling. A good workout before starting your tasks makes you super organised and gives you motivation!

Tarah :)

Must admit, I can procrastinate also ...but not all things. I tend to do things in spurts...and work best under pressure.:eek:

The stuff I can never procratinate on is researching and looking a properties...I can do this without every procrastinating! Property is an addiction for me. :p

Sooo glad you put up this post. I have been blaming retirement for my lack of interest in anything, but now realise it can happen to anyone. I was fabulously organised when I was running my own business, achieved massive amounts and did well financially, now I have retired I have had a huge battle with loss of self esteem (now feel I'm just a housewife) and total lack of motivation. Finally got down to last year's tax return last week, but still havent made a final decision on something and so cant complete. I wonder Ian, if like me, you have just lost interest in your business. I think I had been doing it for so long it got boring. Could you start something else, similar but different? An extra problem!!! for me was that I was earning enough passive income to just retire - so I really don't even have to push myself. However, it has been a long time to master the realisation that I should just accept the good life and really get into my painting/sculpting.

Hi all,

The thought of posting this popped into my head over 2 weeks ago but I didn't get around to it, which highlights the importance of posting it.

My name is Ian, and I'm a procrastinator.

I've done no real work for months, my tax return isn't done, some bills are unpaid not because I don't have the money but because I never got around to paying them.

I feel like sh**. The thought of everything I need to get done and the fact that I've done nothing, drains my energy every day.

I'd like to explain further but I don't know what else to say, too disorganised.

Thanks for reading.

-Ian

Don't know what your daily routine is Ian, but I've found the busier I am, the more energised and productive I get.

This also includes exercise. If I do none, I feel lethargic and lazy, and sleep badly.

If I do something every day (and some days it is REALLY hard to motivate yourself) then I feel much, much better and sleep better too.

The hard part is getting past that one week barrier where it starts to become fun to exercise and you look forward to doing it.

So, set the alarm for 7.00am every morning and GET UP AND OUT THERE, man! ;) even just a 30 minute very brisk walk would do it.

I totally agree with Marc. Then, what's new about that.
Getting into some sort of regular exercise routine is awesome. It energises you and you might be suprised at how good it is at relieving stress AND you get some great ideas while your active, too.
Some of my best ideas have come to me while I've been running or walking.
The harder it is to get out there and do it, the better you feel when you get moving and push past that desire to do nothing.
The benefits are as much mental as physical.
Give it a go .. Marc said so!

I'm also concerned, sparky. I've tried PM'ing Ian, and also emailing him via his website, a couple of times since about Saturday, with no response to either. Does anybody have a home number for Ian? I do hope he's OK...

Don't know what your daily routine is Ian, but I've found the busier I am, the more energised and productive I get.

This also includes exercise. If I do none, I feel lethargic and lazy, and sleep badly.

If I do something every day (and some days it is REALLY hard to motivate yourself) then I feel much, much better and sleep better too.

The hard part is getting past that one week barrier where it starts to become fun to exercise and you look forward to doing it.

So, set the alarm for 7.00am every morning and GET UP AND OUT THERE, man! ;) even just a 30 minute very brisk walk would do it.

I agree.

I've designed my own little 'morning performance ritual'

1 - Wake
2 - Drink 500ml of water
3 - Healthy breakfast
4 - Exercise (I go to the gym)
5 - Shower
6 - Meditate (5-10mins)

I've been doing this every day for the last 4 weeks and woah, what a difference.

Very true Marc, you feel much better after getting up and exercising. Although I wish I could enjoy your lazy sleep in time of 7am! :D

Very true Marc, you feel much better after getting up and exercising. Although I wish I could enjoy your lazy sleep in time of 7am! :D

Who said I wake up at 7.00am?

That was the suggested timeframe for Ian.

I wake up at bloody 6.00am or thereabouts practically every day; regardless of the go-to-sleep time - internal alarm clock. Drives me mad.

All those years of getting up early to go and work in the Proshops and serve whinging golfers. :rolleyes:

I wake up at bloody 6.00am or thereabouts practically every day; regardless of the go-to-sleep time - internal alarm clock. Drives me mad.

I've got an external alarm clock that wakes me up.
Regardless of what time I go to bed my alarm clock wants to get out of bed, watch the wiggles and be fed anywhere from 4.30am-6.00am

Back