Becoming a skipper??

Hey guys and girls,

Does anyonbe out there know what is involved in becoming a professional skipper/captain? I know thats a rather large question with a million different types of vessels out there but where could one find out information?

Thanks
Slingshot

What type of vessel are you looking to skipper.
If you want a commercial licence to transport passengers this requires sea time
as deckhand and this could be as long as two years before you can sit for the exam.
You will also be required to attend one of the Techs which can also be over
a period of twelve months depending on the ticket you require.
Has been big changes over the last few years so would be best to give
the Maritime NSW a call if they are still called that or even give the Sydney tech a call.
Took me about 12 months to get master class 5 but I had plenty of deckhand time before doing the tech course which part time can take over 12 months.
I think the Tasmania maritime college still do the courses full time.

Check out the TAFE courses. I recently did the Coxswain course there, enrolled for the Master 4 but decided against it as it was focused on big ship driving and I wanted to be more focused on a Yacht.

Once you have the Certificate you then have to approach Maritime NSW or the equivalent in your state. They will want proof of seatime. For the Coxswain entry level they will accept recreational hours but above that it has to be on a boat in survey ie under a professional skipper.

The TAFE courses are long and frustrating, not all the kids on it are keen students. Coxswain was 7 weeks I think but you can do it with a commercial school in much less time.

Check out Marina Mirage, I did my coxswain ticket there years ago but not sure if they still run them .. edit, just realized you're now a Mexican, what about Rachel :confused: lol hope all is good thataway :) I'd also get your masters dive ticket while you're at it, I've found it handy around SE Asia

Thanks Simon and nww.

Have been looking into and pretty much found the info I need. I am looking at a career change and have always been drawn towards maritime pursuits. Wish

May have an opportunity as a deckie up north and its quite good $$ so 1st thing I will do is my STCW95 in Jan so I can take advantage of that. Its early days but just looking ahead.

Shuggy, do I know you? :) You obviously know me. Rachels good although unfortunately a lot of dramas surrounding her atm. Her poor sister has just broken her ankle very seriously and she has a young bub, major nightmare! Anyway alls good apart from that.

PM me if needs be as Im intrigued as to who the Shuggmiester really is:). BTW I do have a Divemasters ticket, will need to renew/update though. Wish I had of logged all that time on the dive boat I worked on in Thailand a few years back. Oh well.

Thanks
Slingshot

Ahh Shuggsta it is all so clear now grasshopper:)

Did you get my return PM? Couldnt seem to tell if it was actually sent or not?

Back