Bed and Breakfast

A client of mine has asked me to set up a B and B for him. I have no experience in this but have taken it on to help him out, I will be advertising it on re.com.au as a normal furnished house as a back up incase the B & B does not work.

I have put it under holiday rentals on re.com.au

where else should I be advertising a B & B?

If anyone has any, do you have stats on how often I can expect it rented in a year?

anyone have a holiday rental contract they can send me?

thanks in advance X

A client of mine has asked me to set up a B and B for him. I have no experience in this but have taken it on to help him out, I will be advertising it on re.com.au as a normal furnished house as a back up incase the B & B does not work.

I have put it under holiday rentals on re.com.au

where else should I be advertising a B & B?

If anyone has any, do you have stats on how often I can expect it rented in a year?

anyone have a holiday rental contract they can send me?

thanks in advance X

We ran one for two years when we first moved down to the Peninsula in 1998. There are a number of them down here, and the networking between them is good as we found out over time.

I recommend that your client accesses this networking (it will already exist in the area they choose) immediately to help get more bookings - a number of the local B&B's near us would call us if they were full to see if we could take their enquiries, and vice-versa.

I recommend you contact a few of these local B&B's yourself Xen and ask them what they do for advertising. A simple google search of B&B's for that location will turn up a few.

The majority of B&B traffic is Fri, Sat night, and the odd midweekers. Holiday weekends attract a bit more traffic of course.

Many of the more established B&B's only offer 2-night stay minimums. The main reason is not having to change the bed linen each day as you would if you had two separate bookings each day, and of course; you get more money.

There are basically two ways to do it;
1. Full Service B&B - the hosts meet and greet the guests, and prepare their breakfast for them each morning.
2. Breakfast Ingredients Supplied only - the host still meets and greets if they wish, but if the rooms/cabins are separate from the host's residence arrangements can be made for the guests to collect the keys and let themselves in. The breakfast makings are supplied and the guests make their own. This is a lot more hands-off.

We ran Option 1 B&B, and tried to work full-time jobs as well. It was too bloody hard in the end, so we gave it away. The work was quite enjoyable, but the combination of B&B and other job is too much, and you don't make a lot of money from a B&B unless you have about 6 rooms or so, but then you are more like a hotel.

Most B&B owners have between 1 and 3 rooms. We had 3 in ours, and we had a no-child policy. So we could (and did) accommodate up to 6 adults (3 couples) per night.

In option 1, there is a lot of hands-on work compared to option 2. This is fine if you like that sort of thing and have the time to do it.

Websites like "Take A Break" are good for this industry, and also the local Tourism body.

Most of the customers looking for a B&B will initially be women.

Ads in glossy magazines are a waste of money; they don't work at all compared to the cost.

The best bet is fliers in local shops, or a sign/business card in their window if you get their permission, put an easy to see sign out on the roadside, and the rest will be word of mouth.

You can do a B&B operator's course through the local TAFE (I recommend the client does this), and call the local Council or Shire Office to get a pack of all the rules and regulations covering the operation of a B&B.

It is not as simple as hanging out a shingle and away you go. When we did it, you didn't need a food handlers certificate, but I reckon this will be the case now.

In hindsight, we would have run the "hands-off" type of B&B. Let the guests make their own meals, and all you have to do is replenish the supplies and clean the rooms.

Finally; be prepared to spend a lot of your weekends cleaning rooms.

Last edited:
Fantastic post Marc. That was a great contribution.

My sister and BIL are contemplating buying a property down on the Mornington peninsula.....I reckon it's a dog of an idea.....but they could certainly do worse than sit down with you and have a detailed chat.

Thanks again for the realistic info, it stands like a sore thumb when someone has real detailed knowledge of a subject.

Hi,
I have run 3 B&B's-1 in Adelaide and 2 in Tassie. Mine were all the 'hands on' full breakfast service which I enjoyed as I like talking to people. While it can be hard work if you are organised it really beats working for a living-basically your days are your own from approx 11am onwards. Also good if you have school age children as you are home for holidays/sickness etc.
I agree with the previous post that word of mouth and a good relationship with fellow local B&B' ers in a must.
The other thing I would advise is your own website, and listing through Frontdesk/V3 leisure which gives you access to a multitude of accommodation websites from local visitor centres, to gay travel, seniors travel etc.
I personally found Take a Break & Trip Advisor to be the best independent sites.

I know three couples who have tried B&B, seriously question if it is worth the hassles.

It does entail a lot of cleaning as every room has to be serviced every weekend just in case someone reads your sign and calls in.

With my three friends, one was full service, the rooms (2) were just down a wing of an L shaped house, all meals provided by host at reasonable prices. My friends said "some people are nice but some treat you like hotel maids" which I said you are to them, they are your paying guests.

She couldn't handle being so disprespected in her own home for a lousy $150 a night !! They only got a couple a month so just wasn't worth the effort.

Another couple went for the weekly stay market, they spent more on advertising than they generated in rentals. They tried various websites, union mags, pensioner mags all sorts of ideas yet were not able to find regular clientelle. The place is quite nice in a reasonable location at a reasonable price yet the only people who would stay there were families with kids or teens on schoolies week :eek: Drove them nuts so they stopped.

The others are still operating the B&B, they live in one wing of the house and the rooms are in the other. They don't provide meals but do let the guests use their kitchen and dining area, not quite sure how that works, communal friendly I guess. They don't get many people staying and I do think they only accept guests on weekends with no drop ins so they at least know what the W/e holds.

They occassionally rent out the whole house for the weekend and then they come and visit us for the W/e, thats what friends are for :)

Never had one myself and don't intend to, I could probably do the detached S/cont cabin thing but not in my house.

HTH

Thanks for all those replies.

Cegosling where was your Adelaide B & B?

Bayview - thanks great information gives me something to do today.

The API article sounds interesting I'll see if I can source one and have a look.

I will be doing the B&B as a JV with a client, they will be doing all the work I'll just be doing the marketing for them.

Hi, My B&B in Adelaide was in Hove (between Glenelg and Brighton). We launched the website, and received our first booking within 3 days. We gradually built the business up, and found that 80% of our guests were international-predominantly the grey nomads from Canada. We also attracted interstate corporate clients (singles) who were looking at cheaper accommodation than the local hotels. We ran at 70% occupancy, but as I worked 3 days per week that was enough.

I know Hove - I grew up in Glenelg and my parents are still there.

what is your feeling for it working in Belair?

As long as you market it properly should be fine. The name escapes me but there was a Japanese influenced B&B that ran successfully for years in Blackwood (near Belair side) I believe it has since sold. Pricing is all important-just dont be too greedy. It's better to have 5 nights a week booked on a lesser rate than 1 at a higher.

Back